What's new

Mystic Water Soap Review

I first want to share a big "Thank You" to Michelle of Mystic Water Soap. I recently received samples of Lime and Litsea and Lime and Ginger shave soap and have used each twice. The soap is a soft soap with a consistency of putty, easily spread in a scuttle or bowl. The scent of both is very pleasing, but in no way overpowering. The soap produces a rich lather easily and consistently. The shave was extremely comfortable with excellent cushion and glide, but as I shared with Michelle, the shining feature of this soap is its moisturizing qualities. After each shave, my face has felt very moisturized and supple. Michelle had mentioned to me that during the formulation stage, others had suggested a higher % of glycerin be used. In my opinion, you can tell, both during and after the shave. I split my samples in half and shared the other half with my brother. I will ask him to share his thoughts of the soap once he has used it a few times.

The next time I use the soap, I will post some pictures of the lather.

I too have been testing her soap and can say it meet and exceeded my expectations in many ways. The scent was perfect. The lather was so slick and provided a great shave. But as you said the soap truly stood out to me after the shave. My face felt amazing. It reminded me of my Mitchell's wool fat. I will be buying some of this after my samples run out. highly recommended soap.

I've used the Mystic Water Lime/Lavender twice. This is a lightly scented, really slick soap that leaves your face feeling nice after the shave. This is a really great performing soap. It likes water, on the 2nd and 3rd passes I had to add a touch of water. I still have to try the Lime/Listea.

I looked at her website but didn't see a list of shave soap scents. Can you list them, or point out the (probably obvious) page with them on it?

Ordered some of her Bay Rum and got samples of her Coconut and her Coconut and Almond. They smell good enough to eat, and the have a chocolate color to them, making them almost good enough looking to eat.

Just got my samples and like shaverjoe started with the two lime variants. I tried each on half my face, using the same razor but two different brushes (one a RV black badger for highly stiff and scritchy, the other a Shavemac flat top for gel-like softness) whipped in separate bowls. I also found the scents very pleasant and light (for comparison I did sniff tests with my CF lime, Vulfix lime and GFT lime Face Food; the CF was strongest and limey-ist, followed by the GFT; I realize that these are different mediums, but, hey, I can only control for so much at home!). I think I left too much water in both brushes, because the lather in each case was light and airy (will try again tomorrow with drier brushes and slowly add water). Despite this, the lather was slick and protective; no nicks, cuts or irritation. Agree that they left my skin very nicely moisturized. Asked SWMBO to do a blind sniff test. She picked up vanilla in the lime and ginger, more oranges in the lime and litsea. I found the latter more zesty lime-like after repeated sniffing, but differences very subtle. Nice first run, despite probable operator error, and am anxious to continue experimenting.

Last edited:
Pretty much my gold standard for shaving soaps, at this point, to be honest. Personally, I love the lime-litsea ("May Chang"). Smells great. They all lather a champ and make your face feel great.

I noticed today that the shipping charge for a single puck dropped to $3.50, making this great soap even that much more attractive.

Better yet, you can get three 1/2 samples for $3.50 + $3.50 for shipping. I just ordered Lime, Bay Rum, and Marrakesh.

I was also given samples of this soap. Its an excellent performing soap. I will more than likely purchase some in the future.

I just ordered from Mystic and the it was shipped very quickly. First use was this morning (I got Marrakesh scent) and it was excellent. I will try the limes next order.

Got up this morning and decided on my Omega 31064 as the brush I would use with the Lime and Ginger sample. Clearly the best choice to date, and easily the best in generating a stable lather. The soaps performance in regards to efficacy, as a value of slickness and smoothness, remained above average.

Overall I am very happy with this soap and feel I would receive true value for my money when ordering this soap. It provides a slick and protective lather you would expect from high quality tallow soap. Building a stable lather is a little more problematic than I prefer but not a deal breaker as we all have products that have little quirks we compensate for with minor changes in technic or hardware.

[FONT=&amp]Michelle should be commended for[/FONT] putting her soaps out in such a public way for critical review. I again congratulate my friends and colleagues here at B&B with the gentlemanly and professional manner they approached a vendors good faith effort at improving her processes.

I got a couple of samples too - rose/sandalwood and lime (just says lime, so I'm not sure if it is the lime/litsea, but it is definitely not lime/ginger). I'm planning to post a full review after I've used them a bit more, but the first couple of shaves have been great!

I just tried the Bay Rum. Nice soap gives a good shave and had no problem lathering.

Two critiques:

1. The scent is more marine and closer to Aqua Velva than Bay Rum

2. Why bentonite clay? I know this is personal preference, but I feel that good soaps provide sufficient slip and glide on their own and do not need clay. Any chance of a clay free version?

And I'd like to truly thank everyone for the way it's been discussed on the forum - it's not easy to present a new product, hoping that it will be good enough to make the grade. Everyone has been very kind and thoughtful in their critiques. I appreciate the feedback, and will do what I can to improve it still more.

What a first class attitude from a vendor that's seeking to improve a good product even further. Very impressed.

Top Bottom