What's new

Spring vs Winter Oolongs

Could someone be kind enough to educate me on the differences these two seasons make in Oolongs? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two and what do you look for in them? Are there more desirable Spring Oolongs as well as Winters? I would ask the same question regarding roasted and non but that might be best left for another time. I find that, as I drink more teas, my tastes evolve. It's turning in to an enjoyable hobby. Much to learn...

I usually drink spring because that's when I tend to prefer oolongs....though I have had some nice winter ones. If you want more info on that subject I would look on here http://www.teachat.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=f3ea395e0b31312ca5ed1763370700ec I can't tell you in any definitive way...what the differences are.

As far as roast is concerned I would just try a range of roast/oxidation levels to see what you like. I like them all, but lean toward lower roast Taiwanese oolongs like Da Yue Ling, Lishan, Alishan. There are some Dongding oolongs with medium roast and Muzha TGY dark roasted ones that are worth looking into. Then there are the Chinese oolongs....

I find spring pickings to bit more fragrant and richer bodied and winter oolongs to be a bit more vegital. The difference is more apparent in low oxidation lighter roast offerings. So I tend to look for spring pickings of low roast low oxidation teas.

I find spring pickings to bit more fragrant and richer bodied and winter oolongs to be a bit more vegital. The difference is more apparent in low oxidation lighter roast offerings. So I tend to look for spring pickings of low roast low oxidation teas.

That matches my experience too. When there is higher oxidation and roast levels, it does not seem to matter much. In fact, I would almost say that for the higher oxidation and roast levels, the fall provides a more robust flavor profile. However, for lighter oxidation and roast profiles, I much prefer the spring harvests. The fragrance in the high-mountain teas in particular is amazing.

Cheers,
Steve
www.JAS-eTea.com

Top Bottom