What's new

Mystic Water Lime

My sample of Lime Shaving Soap from Mystic Water arrived on Friday and I have used it twice. My observations about the soap follow.The literature for the soap says it is made in the manner of Cella – a soft Italian soap. And it is. The feel is very similar to Cella.First, although I generally use Uberlather when I test soap for the first few times I use the soap alone with no additives. I also use two different brushes: a fuller brush like the Duke 3 or B&B 2011 brush and a smaller brush: my Caswell-Massey board-badger combo brush, that many soaps don’t agree with. I figure if the CW brush works with soap any other brush would work wonders. :scared: The lime soap has a subtle, pleasant aroma. You can smell the lime when you work the lather but it is not a strong, overpowering scent. I found the scent very pleasing. It reminded me of lime hard candy. However, I am a shaver who is more concerned about performance rather than scent (except for those very strong smelling soaps such as Tabac – whose good performance is negated by the scent. Sorry Tabac fans! :001_unsur)I put the sample in an old plastic container that once contained TOBS Almond and added water to it for a few seconds. I drained the water and I then whipped it up. I found the soap to be a little different than most other soaps in that my lather the first time was a little thin and airy. The brush used was the B&B 2011 brush. It may be that the brush was too big for the small sample used. However, the shave was excellent. The razor used was a Red Tip with a Polsylver blade. The lather produces a very lubricated shave even though the lather was lighter than what I usually produce. The first picture below is what the lather looked like on the first shave.The shave was excellent. Very close, smooth, and comfortable. The razor glided through the beard without any effort.On the second shave I used the notorious CM brush. I have two of these brushes that were given to me as Christmas gifts many years ago. For some reason these brushes don’t agree with some soaps. They work fine with creams but don’t produce much lather in some soaps. The second picture is what the soap looked like with the CM brush. As you can see the lather was thicker and looked better. However, once again its performance was excellent. A four pass shave with a GEM 1912 with a PTFE coated blade was close and smooth.It's always nice when you see a new shaving product, this time a soap, come out and meet or exceed your expectations. This is one soap I will definitely buy. :thumbsup:I have two more samples to try and will report on them in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• $Mystic 1.jpg
    $Mystic 1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 530
  • $Mystic2.jpg
    $Mystic2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 534

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Could you kindly post the ingredients list, Jim? If it's like Cella, I suppose it's tallow based?

Could you kindly post the ingredients list, Jim? If it's like Cella, I suppose it's tallow based?

The sample I received did not have the list of ingredients but this comes from the website:

The main ingredient in my shaving soap is tallow. But since I want to use only the best ingredients, I render the tallow myself from beef suet that I get from a fellow farmers market vendor who raises grass fed beef on her local Maryland farm. I add organic unrefined shea nut butter, castor oil, palm oil, avocado oil and stearic acid along with extra glycerin, bentonite clay, aloe vera leaf juice, wheat protein and liquid silk. It is saponified with both sodium and potassium hydroxide.

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

I have tested some of the Lime's and all have been great. Very easy to lather and nicely scented.

Michelle is very good to work with and puts out a great product. I currently have two different Peppermint scents that I am testing for her. The first was great! Very refreshing and cool feeling after washing off.

I have found my shaving soaps!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The sample I received did not have the list of ingredients but this comes from the website:

The main ingredient in my shaving soap is tallow. But since I want to use only the best ingredients, I render the tallow myself from beef suet that I get from a fellow farmers market vendor who raises grass fed beef on her local Maryland farm. I add organic unrefined shea nut butter, castor oil, palm oil, avocado oil and stearic acid along with extra glycerin, bentonite clay, aloe vera leaf juice, wheat protein and liquid silk. It is saponified with both sodium and potassium hydroxide.

Not exactly the Cella formula, but looks good! Thank you, Jim! :001_smile

I've used the Mystic Water Lime/Lavender twice. This is a lightly scented, really slick soap that leaves your face feeling nice after the shave. This is a really great performing soap. It likes water, on the 2nd and 3rd passes I had to add a touch of water. (Unlike Jim, I didn't add water to the soap before starting to load my brush.) I still have to try the Lime/Listea.

Oh boy, Lily of the Valley. If this is anything at all like Pashana Blue Orchid I will be in line to buy it.

Cheers, Todd

I have their Lily of the Valley on the way and I'm really looking forward to it!

Rather than start a new thread, I'll tack my review on to this one:

I had my first shave with Mystic Water Lily of the Valley last night. It's a wonderful smelling soap with just the right amount of scent. My sense of smell is not that great, particularly in this dry winter air. I had to get the sample close to my nose to be able to smell it and what I smelled was wonderful. Floral, but not in a feminine way. There was a hint of spiciness to it. I did make the mistake of putting the sample in a wooden bowl that once held TOBS sandalwood, so no I get the sandalwood smell with it.

My Vulfix 660S, a super badger, was given a few good shakes before loading. The loading time for this brush was very short, probably half the time as I take for loading the triple milled soaps I have. I face lathered, adding water to the brush 3 or 4 times, and was rewarded with a very nice lather. It reminded me of the the lather quality I get with Tabac.

The shave, using a Personna Lab in my 38C, was very smooth. I hardly felt the blade as the razor glided across my face. I could have stopped with 2 pass shave, but went my usual 3 and had one of the best shaves yet.

Further testing is required, but after one shot, I LOVE this soap. Even now, 8 hours later, my face is still super smooth.

I've got the unscented, and it's nice. If you go to their website you'll see that they're so into quality ingredients that they list the farm from which they get the beef for their tallow.

I just want to point out that the soap is called Mystic WATERS, not Mystic River. Mystic River was a great movie, but it's not the name of Michelle's soap company.

I use this soap pretty much every day. This is a great tallow soap that makes a wonderful lather. Ackvil, you don't have to soak the soap and I think you started with a little bit too much water in your brush. I get a lovely, slick, cushioning lather without visible bubbles. Has a great face feel after the shave. As Michelle mentioned, she doesn't use coconut oil in the ingredients because of its tendency to be drying.

TonyN, the lime-litsea is wonderful. Smells like a fresh-cut lime and makes the same great lather as all her soaps.

I tested out two lime blends of the Mystic Waters soap. These soaps perform really good. It was easy to get a nice, thick lather by loading on top of the soap and bowl lathering. I enjoyed a very comfortable shave and my skin had no adverse reactions to the soap. I am indifferent to the scent, they were not bad, I just prefer a straight lime scent. I will probably purchase the regular lime soap in the future. Overall a very good soap. I like the softer consistantency, I was able to press the soap into a little glass storage container.

Top Bottom