What's new

Semogue 610 vs. Semogue 820

The Semogue 610 and 820 share the same quality of hairs; Best 90% tops, so I thought (once again) it could be fun to compare those two very similar looking brushes to each other head-to-head.

And here we go:

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Nanny's Eucalyptus & Tea Tree shaving soap.

First pass: I couldn't tell the two brushes apart, they felt equal in both backbone, splay and prickliness.

Second pass: I still couldn't tell them apart from backbone - both brushes felt really firm, and although I think the 610 splayed just a little bit more, neither brush had much of a splay, and I could very well be mistaken about the 610.

Third pass:
In my mind I was pretty sure that the 820 would be a little more soft than the 610 due to the higher loft, so in an attempt to get an unbiased feel I closed my eyes and twirled the handles in my hands so the only thing I knew was, which side was up :001_smile
Trying to apply the same amount of pressure with each brush (one in each hand) I first made circular motions and then painting strokes and then had a guess from the feel which brush was in which hand.
The left felt very slightly softer and from the feel it splayed a little more, and my guess was the 820 - but I was wrong, and I must admit this came as quite a surprise to me, as I would have thought the 820 would be softer.

Fourth pass:
To be sure, I took good time to lather up and review the behaviour of the brushes, and it was as experienced in the third pass, the 610 had a little more splay and felt like it had a little less backbone, but we are talking very small differences here.

Data
Hair typeBoar, Best 90% topsBoar, Best 90% tops
HandleAcrylic, clear/redAcrylic, clear/red
Weight [gram]62.464.1
Knot diameter [mm]21.021.4
Loft height [mm]50.054.4
Total height [mm]95.8100.7

Result
This was really a comparison that surprised me.
Looking at the weights of the brushes, I would say that they have the same amount of hair in the knot (although I can't be sure), and I would have thought the 4 mm difference in loft would have been noticeable, but it wasn't.
Now, this can maybe be because the 820 haven't seen as much action as the 610, and I will at some point repeat this comparison when both brushes have been used some more, to see if the result will be the same.

Other than that, I can only once again say that Semogue does manufacture some really nice brushes. These two have a good backbone with a firm knot that doesn't splay much (which I like) and with fairly soft tips - there is a slight prickly feel, but by no means uncomfortable for a soft loving guy like me :001_smile
Furthermore I really like that the hairs are un-dyed. Boar hair is beautiful like it is, there is no reason to fake it, they can easily hold their own.

proxy.php

Nice review and unexpected results due to the difference in lofts, How many more lathers does the 610 Have, Ballpark.

Nice review and unexpected results due to the difference in lofts, How many more lathers does the 610 Have, Ballpark.

My guess would be 10-15. I have been using the 610 more because I heard it was a stiff brush, and I wanted it to get broken in. The 820 haven't seen as much use, mostly because I like wooden handles better, but I will use it some more from now on, so I am quite sure it has nothing to do with it not being properly broken in.

Now, I have been lathering both brushes up every day for more than a week now and today I thought I would give them a quick face test.

And I will have to change my initial result. The 610 felt the same as the last time, firm with a good backbone, whereas the today 820 felt a little more soft than the 610, not much but enough to feel the difference. I am quite sure the difference will get bigger when the 820 see some more action.
I will continue to lather the brushes up every day for a couple of weeks before I make a final conclusion.

I got a question about those two brushes which got me to study them more closely, or more specific the handles and it just occurred to me that the design of the handles not only are aesthetic but actually a clever design.

The 610 has a square base with rounded off corners and the four sides up along the handle are straight which just fit a four-finger grip and actually is rather nice in my opinion.
The 820 has round base that halfway up transitions into an octagonal which also gives a good and natural grip.
You grip the 610 more towards the base thus having a bit more distance to the tips, where you grip the 820 more at the top of the handle. A very clever way to adjust for the shorter loft of the 610 :001_smile

I have tried to take a couple of photos to show the difference in the handles - I don't know how well it shows though.

610 to the left in the first two photos
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I too like wooden handled brushes and I will never own 75 brushes, but I am enough of a brush nut that I ordered both of these this morning. Let the games begin. :001_smile

Now, the result of my initial test was surprising and it might be an indication of the 820 not being broken in properly.
So for the last three weeks I have been hand lathering both brushes vigorously on a daily basis, making sure that this variable was eliminated at the re-test.

Re-test:

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with RazoRock Caprician Lemon.

First pass: I couldn't tell the two brushes apart, they felt equal in both backbone, splay and prickliness.

Second pass: A small difference was showing, both brushes still felt quite firm but the 820 splayed more and it may have been imagination but I think I felt it was having a little less backbone. If it was the case, I would say that it was of no practical meaning so small was the difference.

Third pass:
At this pass I was sure the 820 had less backbone, still not much but enough to feel a difference. However the tips of the 610 felt noticeable softer than those of the 820.

Fourth pass:
Pretty much just a confirmation of the third pass, the difference between the two brushes remained the same.

Result:
As stated in my first test, the differences between those two brushes are very small. They still are, but I will have to admit (or conclude) that the 820 wasn't fully broken in at the initial test and because of that I would have to change my opinion.
The 820 has a little less backbone than the 610 as expected in the first test and what would be natural given the difference in loft height.
Of those two particular brushes the 610 has softer tips, but I will take that as a difference in the hairs and it might very well be the opposite when comparing two other brushes.

Although I prefer some sway in my brushes I would have to say that if I should choose one of those two; it would be the 610.
Somehow I just felt it worked better for me. I still had the tips working during the splay because of the shorter loft, whereas the splay on the 820 was kind of bending the tips away from the skin (if it makes any sense?) so I could just as well have used painting motions.

SHM and others in this thread: I have been reading reviews and comparisons, researching and day-dreaming about Semogue and Omega brushes for a couple weeks. I think I am zeroing-in on model choices now. Looking for some vendor advice, best variety and value. Any suggestions on B&B member/vendors? Any last minute thoughts on Semogue vs. Omega? Oh yeah, how do you pronounce "Semogue"?

Last edited:
I think I recall that there is an US based vendor of Semogue brushes, but I have bought all of mine from Leon at vintagescent.com
However shaving.ie also carries Semogue brushes and both are B&B vendors, although EU based.

When it comes to Semogue vs. Omega; I would choose Semogue. Not because Omega are of lower quality I also have a couple of Omegas, I just prefer the handle designs from Semogue a little more.

If I recall correctly, in another thread Leon said it was pronounced almost like smog.

Ford vs Chevy
Both brushes have superior knots
Omega has (what I think) are great handles. The big retro-lucite handles they offer on much of their product line and Ovangkol handle on their 11126 are simply works of art.
Semogue is fine too. My 1800 handle is clear coat so I have none of the problems (chipping, etc.) that some do like on the Semogue 1305. Of course I don't sweat something like a paint chip which (if so deemed necessary) can be fixed with a dab of nail polish.

I've been trying to use my 6 boars on regular basis equally - Semogue 1305, 830 (same as 1305), 1250 (same as 820), 1800, LE2 (similar to SOC), Omega 31064. My favourite one is 1800. It feels the best. Don't ask me why though, I have no idea why. They are all good brushes, doesn't matter which one you choose.

Thanks to all in this thread who have shared valuable brush experinces and advice. I think I am settling in on a Semogue 1350 or 1800.

Soren: You, my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for your patience with me and pointing me to that January thread comparing the 1350, 830 and 1800!!! I continue to learn and be amazed here. What a resource of knowledge! The more I consider and think of my brush needs (do we really "need" another brush?), I think the 1800 very well may be my answer. Looks like just the right combination of density/backbone, soft tips, plus I really prefer natural wood handles. I will let you know how this all works out. Thanks again to you and all the Gents!

Soren: You, my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for your patience with me and pointing me to that January thread comparing the 1350, 830 and 1800!!! I continue to learn and be amazed here. What a resource of knowledge! The more I consider and think of my brush needs (do we really "need" another brush?), I think the 1800 very well may be my answer. Looks like just the right combination of density/backbone, soft tips, plus I really prefer natural wood handles. I will let you know how this all works out. Thanks again to you and all the Gents!

You are welcome.

We are all here to help each other, I myself have had a lot of help from gentlemen sharing their tips, tricks and knowledge.
And as Leon have mentioned; the 1800 might be the most underrated brush around here :001_smile

Top Bottom