What's new

Buzz cut & thinning hair?

Hi all,

Anyone out there tried a buzz cut when their hair started to thin?

Let me know, I'm getting tired of it thinning,

Paul

Yup.

In high school, I looked like Rudolph Schenker.
In college, I looked like Tony Geary but it was still long in the back.

By the time I hit 30 it was thinning, but still enough to where a standard haircut looked okay.
By the time I hit 35, the forehead and birds' nest were getting larger and closer together and I started doing my own haircuts. Straight buzz with a #3 guard every Sunday night.
At 43, I decided to just shave it off and make my hairline some other universe's problem.

While I don't have thinning hair, a buzz has been my preferred haircut my whole life. I have thick, curly, unmanageable hair and prefer to jut hit it with a no. 2 every week or two. Nothing like not having to worry about your hair in the morning.

When my forehead starting growing I started wearing it shorter and shorter. Now I just use clippers without a guard once a month.

I don't have thinning hair, but started getting a buzz after shoulder surgery 12 years ago and liked it so much I continued it. I have a barber do a #3 on top and #2 on the sides. One son in law has thinning hair and he keeps his buzzed even closer. I think it looks good on him and it's less noticeable.

I'm with you, Duke. Mine's been slowly thinning for a decade or more, but I'm mere days away from my 40th and the hair's in full evacuation mode now. In my experience the shorter I go the fuller it looks.

I don't have thinning hair, but started getting a buzz after shoulder surgery 12 years ago and liked it so much I continued it. I have a barber do a #3 on top and #2 on the sides. One son in law has thinning hair and he keeps his buzzed even closer. I think it looks good on him and it's less noticeable.

I do a 3 on top and 2 on the sides as well. My hair is just to the point where the thinning is noticeable. Once I get an actual bald spot it's gonna be full out head shaving.

What does "buzzed closer" mean? I've heard this term along with getting a "tight" buzz.

Guys, read all your posts - thanks for the encouragement - really. I'm gonna go for it! Since I don't have clippers here I might wait to Monday to visit the old barber shop.

I went that route once and I thought it just exasperated the problem for me personally. But everyone's head is different. I have kind of a big head, and no matter what kind of clippers, or who gives me the buzzcut for that matter, I develop razor bumps for like a week afterwards. It just ends up looking kind of goofy. Plus, I'm not giving up on my hair just yet. But I did enjoy not having to maintain anything. It was definitely time saving.

Last edited:
I've been thinning slowly since my late teens. I've tried a buzz and looked horrible with it, I just get clipped #2 on sides and back and fairly short on top.

I have a slightly thin spot near the crown of my head, and having had no.2 cuts for the last few years I've decided to let it grow a bit. As the saying goes, "hair today, gone tomorrow" :001_smile

hmmm...... since, I do not know what it will look like (had a buzz when I was a lot younger) I think I might do the top gradually maybe not to shock everyone....

Top Bottom