What's new

Buzz cut & thinning hair?

My hair started thinning slightly in my late 20s (And going grey at the same time. Some cosmic joke, eh?!), and I said for ages that I would keep my hair until I hit 30, then shave it all off. I hit 30 and figured I had enough coverage to keep it going a few years longer. Sadly my housemates had different ideas, and presented me with a set of clippers for my birthday. It seemed churlish to refuse after that, so I was taken out in to the garden and shorn. I started wet shaving my head about 4 months ago, only once every couple of weeks or so, and always using my clippers to make the hair a bit more manageable first. I tried using my DE razor once, but it was hard to get the blade angle right at the back of the head, and the scalp has a lot less give in it, so I ended up with loads of weepers. I've been using up my stock of cartridge blades since (King of Shaves Razr - truly terrible razor!), and the canned goo. I will one day get one of those headblade gizmos, but only after I've run out of other stuff first.

I thought I'd end up looking like an alien or something when I first wet shaved my scalp, but actually I had a 5 o'clock shadow pretty soon, and it makes it look like I have pretty good hair coverage (I don't) and that I'm choosing to go for the bald look (I'm not). It does look amusing after I've shaved, as I have heavy eyebrows and one of those silly "Soul Patch" things, so I look slightly like a potato that someone punctuated, but SWMBO likes it. I have to be pretty heavy on the moisturiser afterwards, or my skin gets pretty dry and that looks nasty.

I find that after a while people get used to the idea of a close buzz or shaved head and eventually come to like. After about three years of buzzing my hair I attempted to grow it out and found that my girlfriend was mad about it, so I buzzed again. I use the whal balding clippers with no guard but as I have very light blond hair it has the effect of looking like a clean shaved head with no shine.

I gave up the fight over 10 years ago and actually switched to DE shaving because of the cost of cartridges for shaving my head. I've had a couple weepers and knicks but overall I'm completely satisfied with no hair on top! My cosmic misfortune was the hair sliding down my back... good thing my wife likes hairy chested (and backed) men...

I've gone buzzed for a couple of years now. The ozone hole on the top of my head continues to grow and I want to avoid any suggestion of combover. Disclaimer: I'm not going bald, my head-hair is retiring follice-by-follicle to other parts of my body.

Got a cheap set of clippers a month ago since I was getting fed up getting a 5 minute hair"cut" and it costing the same as when actual skill was needed.
#3 or #4 all over for now. I go check with my wife that all is well and even. When I get better at it, might go #2 on the sides.

Too lazy to go shaven, for now at least.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Yup, hair started thinning around 25 (I remember thinking this to be really early to be losing hair and remember being at the doctors) #2 for the sides and back, and a #3 on top. I tell the barber to lengthen it a bit, like Kevin James/Simon Cowell has it, as I have a round face and just blending it would give me an afro affect and further round everything.

My wife was hesitant at first, when we met I was fighting the hair loss and had fairly long curly hair in the back, but after the shave was a done deal she loved it! It's only hair and what's been lost on the top of the head has found it's way to the back, the ears, the nose.. if it hits the palms I'm moving to a cave!

I am 25 and my crown has thinned a bit. I just buzzed it. 3 on the sides and 5 on top. I plan to keep the look for summer and keep it short through the rest of the year. The more it thins, the shorter I'll buzz it. I would like to buy a set of clippers to save money on haircuts.

I am 25 and my crown has thinned a bit. I just buzzed it. 3 on the sides and 5 on top. I plan to keep the look for summer and keep it short through the rest of the year. The more it thins, the shorter I'll buzz it. I would like to buy a set of clippers to save money on haircuts.

I use this and love it. $226693619.jpg

Yeah, go for the Buzzcut, for the price of one trip to the barber you can buy a decent set of Clippers that will last you for years. I shave mine with a DE now but I had a buzzcut down to the bone since I was 18 and never looked back.

my daughter and wife go to a little Korean place for pedicures and nails, etc.. and get the 'brows done there. they finally talked me into it and wow what a difference it made not to have a uni-bro.

Yep lol I've been getting it waxed for couple months now. Before I always ignored it (at least tried to) and told myself it wasn't that noticeable. Damn did threading hurt though, I like having it waxed lol.

Back "in my day" there was no term "buzz" for close barber sheared hair. Just the "crew cut." Many young boys got crew cuts during the summer months for comfort.

I never had good hair...always looked liked crap with no body. Finally, in my 40s, I sheared it off with clippers with no comb on it. I got nothing but positive feedback and never looked back. Since then, the only change I make is changing the adjustment lever on the side of the shears up or down...making a very minor change in length. I used to buzz" my facial beard on the lowest setting and my head with the lever down...so there was bit of distinction between hair length on my face and head.

Recently, the beard is down to a moustache and the head is sheared close. I'm even thinking about shaving it.

Top Bottom