What's new

Buzz cut & thinning hair?

No real thinning (tiny amount at the temples but nothing remotely substantial) but I've been number one on the back and number two on top for years now (sort of jarhead style). It does hide a multitude of sins but it's always been about convenience. Three weeks is about the usual stretch before I get the hippy locks trimmed.

Some time this year I want to get a set of Wahl balding clippers and have a go at it, as I'm not quite ready to do the Full Monty.

When I was younger, I had the nice thick hair that I could do anything with. By the time I was 20, it was all still there, but had gone to grey (my grandfather had gone grey when he was 20, but became a dyer) and made me look older than I was. Now, when I grow my hair out now, it's noticeably thinner up on top. So 3 or 4 years ago, I took the clippers with a #1 to my skull, and it looks much better. During the summer months, I go down to bare skin. I dig it, and more importantly, the bride digs it. Plus, I look years younger without all the grey. Just do it, if you don't like the results, it'll grow out in a week or two.

After getting very thin (my forehead turned into a fivehead) in the front I shaved my head completely bald a couple of years ago. It was very drastic and the lack of tan on my head exasperated the problem but I maintained very short hair. In the past month or so I have been getting a #1 on the back and sides and a #2 on top and have been working to get some sun on my head. I plan to shave it bald in a few weeks. I've even bought the Headblade.
I have always heard that if your hair is noticeably thinning a shorter hair cut looks much better than hiding thinning or balding. The comb-over has many modern day versions. Many people try the Caesar cut and sometimes it works but it didn't for me.

Thanks guys for all your input. I've decided i'm going to do it gradually - each time my barber will make it shorter - don't want to shock the coworkers!

After getting very thin (my forehead turned into a fivehead) in the front I shaved my head completely bald a couple of years ago. It was very drastic and the lack of tan on my head exasperated the problem but I maintained very short hair. In the past month or so I have been getting a #1 on the back and sides and a #2 on top and have been working to get some sun on my head. I plan to shave it bald in a few weeks. I've even bought the Headblade.
I have always heard that if your hair is noticeably thinning a shorter hair cut looks much better than hiding thinning or balding. The comb-over has many modern day versions. Many people try the Caesar cut and sometimes it works but it didn't for me.

Be careful with that headblade as I've seen firsthand from a friend and also have read about it on sly guys that it'll take a chunk out of your scalp if you use the wrong technique.

Mine started thinning on top about 20 years ago and I tried to just have a normal haircut at first, then when I moved to Jakarta in 95 I found a no2 was the ideal solution to both the thinning hair and the sticky heat and humidity that is prevalent out here. More so now I am in Singers. Mind you, my head was a bit chilly last week in France and minus 10C...

Be careful with that headblade as I've seen firsthand from a friend and also have read about it on sly guys that it'll take a chunk out of your scalp if you use the wrong technique.
Yup.

It taught me the term "no pressure".

I did okay with it, occasionally getting a bit of a slide and a resulting cut, but it got me into the groove of my mapping and I ended up getting closer and less-painful shaves with the Fusion.
I've shaved my head with my straight twice. First time was awesome, 2nd time last week didn't go so well, but I was working on 3 day's growth and doing my usual ATG-only passes.
Had a little blood and a lot of frustration (just wasn't taking the hair off) so I went back to the Fusion, restropped the blade, and used the straight on my face.

For now, I'm resigned to continuing with the Fusion on my head.

Mind you, my head was a bit chilly last week in France and minus 10C...
That's why God created felt fedoras :wink:

$peterson.jpg

Yep! Your are correct. I just took a sliver of scalp off this morning. I learned REAL quick that you have to keep the wheels firmly on your head. If not the blades dig in and shave more than hair. OUCH!
Now that I know that I guess I'll have to be more careful. Other than that the Headblade works great. Just don't apply pressure and keep the wheels firmly planted.

Yup.

It taught me the term "no pressure".

I did okay with it, occasionally getting a bit of a slide and a resulting cut, but it got me into the groove of my mapping and I ended up getting closer and less-painful shaves with the Fusion.
I've shaved my head with my straight twice. First time was awesome, 2nd time last week didn't go so well, but I was working on 3 day's growth and doing my usual ATG-only passes.
Had a little blood and a lot of frustration (just wasn't taking the hair off) so I went back to the Fusion, restropped the blade, and used the straight on my face.

For now, I'm resigned to continuing with the Fusion on my head.

While I have not used a headblade and I know I will not, but a fusion proglide with either proraso soap, cream, tabac soap, williams soap and even tbs original cream = bbs nick free shave. I was shaving my head with a remington clipper set *$ 14 at Kmart* with no1 guard than no guard and finally just started shaving it completely. Why fight balding/thinning hair just shave it off!

HTH,
Charlie

Guys I'm thinking of getting a buzz cut for the summer. What should I go with on the top and sides? I want to have a fade effect. Thinking about #3 and #1.

Top Bottom