Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buzz cut & thinning hair?

Images

Default Buzz cut & thinning hair?

Hi all,

Anyone out there tried a buzz cut when their hair started to thin?

Let me know, I'm getting tired of it thinning,

Paul
    I have tallow for breakfast.

Yup.

In high school, I looked like Rudolph Schenker.
    In college, I looked like Tony Geary but it was still long in the back.

By the time I hit 30 it was thinning, but still enough to where a standard haircut looked okay.
    By the time I hit 35, the forehead and birds' nest were getting larger and closer together and I started doing my own haircuts. Straight buzz with a #3 guard every Sunday night.
    At 43, I decided to just shave it off and make my hairline some other universe's problem.
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

Go for it. A buzz cut is great and it's hard to tell a lot of times that you have thinning hair.
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood

While I don't have thinning hair, a buzz has been my preferred haircut my whole life. I have thick, curly, unmanageable hair and prefer to jut hit it with a no. 2 every week or two. Nothing like not having to worry about your hair in the morning.
    Craig/Inky|Steward for [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/98-The-Mess-Hall"]The Mess Hall[/URL]|If you love B&B,[URL="http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php"] please contribute[/URL]

When my forehead starting growing I started wearing it shorter and shorter. Now I just use clippers without a guard once a month.

Paul

I've even gone "right down to the lumber" , but I always sport a buzz cut in the spring & summer. Go for it !

I don't have thinning hair, but started getting a buzz after shoulder surgery 12 years ago and liked it so much I continued it. I have a barber do a #3 on top and #2 on the sides. One son in law has thinning hair and he keeps his buzzed even closer. I think it looks good on him and it's less noticeable.
    ~brian

I'm with you, Duke. Mine's been slowly thinning for a decade or more, but I'm mere days away from my 40th and the hair's in full evacuation mode now. In my experience the shorter I go the fuller it looks.
    Is this your homework, Larry?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by njpaddy View Post
    I don't have thinning hair, but started getting a buzz after shoulder surgery 12 years ago and liked it so much I continued it. I have a barber do a #3 on top and #2 on the sides. One son in law has thinning hair and he keeps his buzzed even closer. I think it looks good on him and it's less noticeable.
    I do a 3 on top and 2 on the sides as well. My hair is just to the point where the thinning is noticeable. Once I get an actual bald spot it's gonna be full out head shaving.
    ~Mike~ This phrase is diculous all over again

Images

I use #4 guard and sides and #2 about one to two inches up the sides and back.
    "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Quote Originally Posted by njpaddy View Post
    What does "buzzed closer" mean? I've heard this term along with getting a "tight" buzz.
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessdude View Post
    What does "buzzed closer" mean? I've heard this term along with getting a "tight" buzz.
    Both mean to buzz cut the hair shorter. In the case of the reply you quoted, shorter than a 3 on top and 2 on sides.
    ~Mike~ This phrase is diculous all over again

Images

I did and I liked it. Eventually, I shaved my head, which I liked even more.
    Cheers,
    Francesco

3017: A Soap Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Both mean to buzz cut the hair shorter. In the case of the reply you quoted, shorter than a 3 on top and 2 on sides.
    Thanks! I got a 5 on top and 2 on sides but will try a 3 on top perhaps in the summer.

Images

Guys, read all your posts - thanks for the encouragement - really. I'm gonna go for it! Since I don't have clippers here I might wait to Monday to visit the old barber shop.

I went that route once and I thought it just exasperated the problem for me personally. But everyone's head is different. I have kind of a big head, and no matter what kind of clippers, or who gives me the buzzcut for that matter, I develop razor bumps for like a week afterwards. It just ends up looking kind of goofy. Plus, I'm not giving up on my hair just yet. But I did enjoy not having to maintain anything. It was definitely time saving.
    Last edited by CMan0928; 02-12-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I've been thinning slowly since my late teens. I've tried a buzz and looked horrible with it, I just get clipped #2 on sides and back and fairly short on top.
    The Name's Rob & "I'm Shaving Through History, One Razor At A Time"

I have my barber use a 1 1/2. On me I always have a fresh cut fade and love it.
    Switch to DE shaving "it saves you money".....

I have a slightly thin spot near the crown of my head, and having had no.2 cuts for the last few years I've decided to let it grow a bit. As the saying goes, "hair today, gone tomorrow"

Images

hmmm...... since, I do not know what it will look like (had a buzz when I was a lot younger) I think I might do the top gradually maybe not to shock everyone....