What's new

An Italian soft soap for those who don't like Italian soft soaps.

I got some Razorock Lemon shave soap from Bull Goose and have been incredibly impressed by this soap. I have tried half a dozen Italian soft soaps, creams, hard soaps and with the exception of my Valobra stick, have never found a product that smelled nice enough or performed well enough to make it into my rotation, until NOW.

It arrived on Monday and I have shaved with it for the past 6 days now... (A record for me - I haven't shaved with a single soap for more than 3 days in a row for 3 or 4 years now.) I wanted to give it a try with the DE today before I passed final judgement on it (I've been on a straight razor kick the past couple weeks with a new Feather straight.)

The RR handles everything from a wetter/slicker lather suitable to a straight edge up to a full-on "too dense for even a DE razor" lather and handles it well.

The scent is very much a straight-up lemon scent, no frills, no fru-fru complex scents, doesn't smell overly artificial, and I love it. I've even found myself running my finger around the edge to pick up some soap to wash my hands with.

The scent is neither over-bearing, nor weak. To my senses in the morning it hits the "Goldylocks" zone.

I would rate the quality of lather, and the versatility to handle varying water levels as just a step down from my MdC, and at half the cost of MdC it's a great value. (for those who think a soaps "worth" depends on it's price - I do not, personally, agree with that - a soap is either a great soap or it is not a great soap, cost doesn't factor in for me.)

(Yes, it's about 1/7th the cost of MdC per delivered gram, but you are also using 3X as much product for the same lather, making it half the cost per shave.)

I also like the bowl that this soap comes in, it's about 2 times larger than the soap inside, so you have plenty of room to swirl the brush on it, and it screws down to seal up nicely, and the label appears to be plastic so it shouldn't start peeling off if it gets wet.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the product both in performance AND in scent.

Of course, Phil's shipping of the order was top-notch, as always.

I'm tempted to get a few other RR soaps, but am leery of the scents. I'm not a fan in the least of "classic Italian almond" or of "cologne" scented soaps. My nose likes simple and natural at 4:30am. I don't want any complex scents hitting my nose until I grind the coffee. :) Either way, the Lemon has certainly earned a permanent spot in my rotation - at least if I can pull my nose out of the RR lemon and start using some of my other 15 soaps.

Congrats on finding something that works so well for you! You've convinced me that I'll have to get around to trying some RR soon :thumbup1:

I have this exact soap, and it lathers and performs amazingly well. I was a little put off when it arrived by the fact that it was not molded to the tub, but a little bit of pressing fixed that. Smells awesome too.

I totally agree with bkfist about almond scents ( just can't deal with Cella, I'm afraid), but I LOVE RR XXX and Fresco. Funny, but I get no almond from them at all. Very unique, hard to define scent, but close to AdP, only less perfumey, I think. No trace of lavender. Bkfist, not sure that they'd pass your 4:30 a.m. simple scent test, but I find them delicious at any hour. One of those YMMV, you'll never know 'til you try things. For six or seven bucks not a big risk. About the same as one Starbucks venti, doubleshot skinny capo these days.

Last edited:
I totally agree with bkfist about almond scents ( just can't deal with Cella, I'm afraid), but I LOVE RR XXX and Fresco. Funny, but I get no almond from them at all. Very unique, hard to define scent, but close to AdP, only less perfumey, I think. No trace of lavender. Bkfist, not sure that they'd pass your 4:30 a.m. simple scent test, but I find them delicious at any hour. One of those YMMV, you'll never know 'til you try things. For six or seven bucks not a big risk. About the same as one Starbucks venti, doubleshot skinny capo these days.

Thanks for the heads up on the AdP comparison - not a fan of AdP scent at all.... Or any scent that could be considered as residing in the same ball-park as an "aqua" or "cool water" scent. (To me every "modern" designer fragrance smells almost exactly the same to me - "nasty") I can't get those kinds of scents out of my nose fast enough.

With the exception of L'Occitane Cade scent (which I absolutely LOVE) and La Toja, I'd say that if someone says a scent is "hard to describe" there is about a 90% chance I'm not going to like it at 4:30 in the morning. It doesn't mean I can't use more complex scents on weekends or days I'm working from home and getting up lather, though. :)

Shaved with it this morning. It is my favorite in my (admittedly limited) experience. I'm thrilled with the slickness.

It seems to leave a lot more slickness on my face after the razor passes than my other soaps/creams do. Is that because of the tallow? (It's my first tallow soap.)

but is it still on the soap side of things? I find the XXX to be very creamy

Yes, it's definitely a soap rather than a cream. You can squash it and mold it with your fingers, but it doesn't feel scoopable at all to me. If you've ever tried to work with blu-tac or polymer clay when it's cold, that's about what it feels like to me. Stiff but moldable.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Brian, I just got my second tub of the RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna. It's the first product I actually used till it was gone since I started this thing last May! Now I have to try the Caprician Lemon!

I pretty much quit sampling stuff and have settled on Tabac, The RazoRock and Queen Charlotte Green Irish Tweed cream. Those products are so darn slick and wonderful I almost hate to use anything else anymore.

The Caprician Lemon is my non-almond Cella (Cella's fragrance gags me involuntarily!). Recipe's the same, and I couldn't ask for a better fragrance and better performing soap. I thoroughly enjoy it.

What is the Fresco scent like? I've got several lavender scents, not sure I "need" another one... lol

Well, it's not even close to lavender I can assure you of that. It's been described as "watermint", and at first sniff I would say...not a chance. But as the lather sits on your visage, you can certainly detect some slight mintiness. It's quite subtle. If you have ever smelled XXX, it's a toned down, more tolerable version of that scent. I like it a lot.

Fresco continues to grow on me. I think the scent mellows or opens up a bit as you use the soap more. It's great, whatever it is and the soap's performances punches WAY over it's weight in price.

Bkfist,

I think you may be confusing Aqua di Parma with Aqua di Gio. Parma is a very old school, citrus/rose scent with a hint of wood. Gio is your modern aquatic/sport stuff that I don't like either. XXX is supposed to be similar to Aqua di Parma in scent and performance. I haven't tried XXX or the AdP shave cream, but I do like the scent of AdP cologne a lot.

Thanks for the heads up on the AdP comparison - not a fan of AdP scent at all.... Or any scent that could be considered as residing in the same ball-park as an "aqua" or "cool water" scent. (To me every "modern" designer fragrance smells almost exactly the same to me - "nasty") I can't get those kinds of scents out of my nose fast enough.

With the exception of L'Occitane Cade scent (which I absolutely LOVE) and La Toja, I'd say that if someone says a scent is "hard to describe" there is about a 90% chance I'm not going to like it at 4:30 in the morning. It doesn't mean I can't use more complex scents on weekends or days I'm working from home and getting up lather, though. :)

Top Bottom