What's new

Bulleit Rye

Has anyone tried Bulliet Rye Whiskey? Grabbed a bottle at the local liquor store for $28, and I'm really enjoying it. I'd say the nose is "dusty"oak . The smell makes me imagine travelling in a wooden cart on an old dirt road. I know, I've got a crazy imagination, and I'm also a little tipsy right now. The taste starts off classic rye with a cherry and tobacco flavor, and ends with a little bit of spicy in the back of the throat.

Anyone else try it? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

No but I am having a Bulleit Bourbon right now. The bourbon is really good as well. Guess I'll have to try the rye next. The bourbon is sold in our PX for 23 bucks.

I'm just finishing up a bottle of BULLEIT BOURBON. I like it better than MAKERS MARK...
hmmmm, how does ye differ from bourbon?
Had to look it up on WIKIPEDIA
"Rye is known for imparting what many call a spicy or fruity flavor to the whiskey. Due to its distinctive flavor, American rye whiskey is sometimes referred to as America's equivalent of an Islay whisky.[SUP][6][/SUP] Bourbon, distilled from at least 51% corn, is noticeably sweeter, and tends to be fuller bodied than rye. As bourbon gained popularity beyond the southern United States, bartenders increasingly substituted it for rye in cocktails like Whiskey Sours, Manhattans, and Old Fashioneds, which were initially made only with rye. All other things being equal, the character of the cocktail will be drier with rye.[SUP][7]"[/SUP]

Sounds like BULLEIT is a quality distiller. I'll look for the rye.
Do try the bourbon :)
Tom

On my list of ryes to try. I see it for $20 a bottle around here, but I'm way overstock on booze right now so I need to deplete my stock before I purchase another bottle. If anyone can compare to Wild Turkey Rye, I would appreciate it.

Do try the bourbon :)

The bourbon is sold in our PX for 23 bucks.
Yup, LOVE their Frontier Bourbon. I first purchased it from the Class VI (Military liquor store) on Fort Gordon in 2010. I went to the liquor store off post yesterday specifically to get the bourbon, but stood there for a few minutes debating between the two. In the end, I decided to try the Rye and I DON'T regret it. Both are amazing examples of American Whiskies.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the great bottle it comes in!!

Hahaha
the bottle is tres cool!
It evokes the old tyme bottles of the gold rush.
Bulleit uses the myth of his bourbon as coming from Granpas recipe... Nice marketing... I think the rye and bourbon share the blown or injected glass mold look...
Tom

Has anyone tried Bulliet Rye Whiskey? Grabbed a bottle at the local liquor store for $28, and I'm really enjoying it. I'd say the nose is "dusty"oak . The smell makes me imagine travelling in a wooden cart on an old dirt road. I know, I've got a crazy imagination, and I'm also a little tipsy right now. The taste starts off classic rye with a cherry and tobacco flavor, and ends with a little bit of spicy in the back of the throat.

Anyone else try it? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Since you're already drinking it, opinions seem somewhat moot. :001_smile But since you asked, I'll mention that I find the Bulleit Rye a little too smooth for its own good. I think Bulleit Bourbon is very good, although overpriced. (Around here, bourbons retail for pretty reasonable prices, and I can get better stuff than Bulleit for cheaper.) The rye, though, doesn't have the pepperiness and spiciness I prefer in a good rye. It tastes to me like a bourbon wearing the name 'rye' like a Groucho Marx mask. It simply can't compete with Old Overholt rye, which I can get for about $11 a bottle.

I like Bulleit. I drank it when I lived in CA...it was only $19.99 at Trader Joe's. A killer deal, IMO. Since I moved to NY it's over $30 a bottle so I don't buy it anymore.

Ben

I considered it several times but it is $30 so I've been passing it by for my $20 favorite... Rittenhouse 100 BIB.

The rye, though, doesn't have the pepperiness and spiciness I prefer in a good rye. It tastes to me like a bourbon wearing the name 'rye' like a Groucho Marx mask. It simply can't compete with Old Overholt rye, which I can get for about $11 a bottle.

I think Overholt tastes exactly like Jim Beam, but much more mellow. Overholt doesn't seem to have that spicy and peppery note that I want, but for the price it's a good deal. Have you tried the Wild Turkey rye? If so, how spicy and peppery would you say it is?

I like Bulleit Rye. It is one of the better ones I have tried.

Ryes are my favorite whiskey. I like the spicy notes that come through. Some are medicinal, but Bulleit is very pleasant.

I think Overholt tastes exactly like Jim Beam, but much more mellow. Overholt doesn't seem to have that spicy and peppery note that I want, but for the price it's a good deal. Have you tried the Wild Turkey rye? If so, how spicy and peppery would you say it is?

I like Wild Turkey Rye, it is very nice and complex. Bulleit comes in right along side Wild Turkey Rye.

Beam and Overholt are a little one dimensional, makes them come off as medicinal.

I haven't tried it, but it's the next rye on my list. If you like ryes, grab a bottle of Jefferson's Rye. I prefer my manhattan's sans bitters, and it blends perfectly with the vermouth.

I like Wild Turkey Rye, it is very nice and complex. Bulleit comes in right along side Wild Turkey Rye.

Beam and Overholt are a little one dimensional, makes them come off as medicinal.

If I was misunderstood, I think Overholt tastes like regular Jim Beam. I rather like the Beam Rye and it is my favorite rye so far (have only tried Beam Rye and Overholt). Next on my list is either Bulleit or Wild Turkey and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

If I was misunderstood, I think Overholt tastes like regular Jim Beam. I rather like the Beam Rye and it is my favorite rye so far (have only tried Beam Rye and Overholt). Next on my list is either Bulleit or Wild Turkey and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

You may have a point about Overholt being a little mild, but I find it a bit spicier than Bulleit, which just feels too maple-sugary sweet to me. Jim Beam is about equal with Overholt, on my palate. I haven't yet tried Wild Turkey. My gold standard for delicious rye is Old Potrero, but I'm just not going to buy a $60 bottle of anything.

Top Bottom