What's new

Any one else a big Ivory soap fan out there?

Any one else a big Ivory soap fan out there? This soap has been one of the true constants throughout my life. I've used it for 30 years and no matter any other type of shower soap or gel I've tried I always come back. Although they tweaked the formula a little through the years (amazingly P&G hasn't destroyed it) its still great. This stuff has been around for over 100 years. I'm not talking about the hand soap, body wash or one of these new lavander or aloe types. I'm talking about the original bar of plain old Ivory soap. It still floats, which is great if you ever try to wash up in a lake or river. It's plain, simple and isn't overly scented, which I like. It's affordable and easily available. Ivory also does an amazing job cleaning you up. It leaves me squeaky clean feeling and I swear no other soap or gel or whatever can get me as clean. I've even tried using it as a shaving soap and it really isn't that bad. Not to mention, kids can make cool little sailboats out of them. This stuff rocks.
proxy.php

Attachments

• $IvorySoapPoster1898.jpg
    $IvorySoapPoster1898.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 228
I use Dove during winter months and Ivory the rest of the year. I like the simple colour and smell, and love how it gets my skin very clean without drying it out. The fact that it has been around, unchanged for so long is no surprise to me.

Interesting thing about Ivory: the fact that it floats was discovered by accident. The chemist who made the first bar whipped the mixture (fat of some kind and lye) too hard, so that when the saponification reaction began he basically whipped air bubbles into the mixture and Voila! A floating soap.

Of course, P & G made a plus from a minus.

I've always liked it, too, except that it melts too fast for me. A lot of waste, IMHO.

I may need to go back and give it a try--it was the soap my mother purchased for us as I was growing up, but I haven't really used it in 25 years or so. IIRC, it seemed to leave a large amount of soap scum in the tub or shower. I would think that if my shower had a soap rack (I re-tiled my shower several years ago, and eliminated the soap rack since we primarily used shower gels by then), it would leave a mess. How does one minimize that mess?

I've used it for years to wash my hands before popping in my contacts, because it was so 'plain' (it doesn't irritate). I also have had some hand eczema and the doc's recommend a 'plain' soap like Ivory for that reason.

However, I noticed they did apparently change the formula lately and added more 'fragrance'-----anyone else notice this? If so, the whole purpose I bought it before has disappeared.

Ivory is the only soap I use. I have a healthy stock just in case TEOTWAWKI happens tomorrow.
I don't even remember what I used before Ivory.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Ivory is all I use (we buy bulk at Costco),
....except for I'm feeling for a dose of Sandalwood
$m_778_1.jpg

we used this growing up. It feels clean.

I use it now - and the huge supply I got from a deal on Amazon insures that I will use it for at least a few more years.

I use Ivory most of the time with some other brand soaps thrown in as well so I can use it all up but I prefer Ivory the most of all. I wish I could try the lavander but I think it was only made for a few years and then stopped production. I like to use the aloe Ivory for a bit of variety with the regular Ivory. I use it for shaving and as a shampoo as well and for many other cleaning things. I truly believe if they packed it in a fancy package and sold it for more then a lot more people would appreciate this Ivory soap. Since it`s not written for shaving and shampooing as well people don`t use it for those purposes. It`s truly a great classic soap and a sleeper soap.

I use it for my hair as well. I started out using it for it's 'plainness', since a lot of the deoderant soaps would irritate my skin, but I think Ivory has actually started added more scent as well. (unfortunately, since this was one of the main reasons I used it)

It's all we could afford growing up, and to this day I've got about 20 bars on hand. I've been using Yardley for the last couple of months but after the bar I'm using is finished up, I'll rotate the Ivory back in.

I've used Ivory for years. The only thing is that during the winter months I find it very drying on my skin. That's the only real problem I've found with it, other than that its a great soap.

Not me.

I don't like commercial soap bars because they don't have enough glycerin in them. Also, unlike the OP, I enjoy highly scented bath soaps.

If you like it, though, enjoy it. It's certainly inexpensive.

I grew up using Dove. Really leaves the skin soft. But now im suffering from a soap fetish. Must try them all. Help me.

I have been using Ivory Soap for years, ever since Consumer Reports declared it the Best Value. The same Consumer Reports review determined that soap, any soap, has limitations. For example, Dial soap will not deodorize your body. You still need to apply deodorant after you bathe. Dove will not moisturize your body. You still have to apply moisturizer after you bathe. And Irish Spring will not make you smell like a meadow. You still need to apply a fragrance after you bathe.

Top Bottom