What's new

Australian Traveling Box No.5!

Good work mate, thanks for playing.

Loved the reviews and those crisp photos!

Last edited:
my turn next. I wait with baited breath and I shall let you know when the package touches down in little old adelaide

IT HAS ARRIVED.

Unfortunately I cant put a massive review up because I am wrecked from work and only just managed to shave let alone tell you all about it. So I had always wanted to try P160 so bad so when I spotted it i just ran straight to the bathroom and got to work. BOY does that lather! it just exploded all over the place; next time I'll use a mixing bowl to lather it. I shaved with my new Brian Brown, I've had it for a while now but only managed to shave with it about 4 or 5 times and its so bloody big I'm still getting used to it so I copped a couple of nicks but nothing to scary.

I finished up with Coral Skin food. There is probably just enough left for one more person I really loved it and I'm so tempted to use it again but I shall resist so some one else can try it out. I got a tiny sting but I put that down to the all but perfect shave. I gave my self a quick splash of Boosters Oriental Spice, I am not a massive fan of it but my wife seems to love it; it just has what I think to be a fairly generic smell and I think that if I wanted spice I would go with old spice because remember "if your grandad didn't wear it, you wouldn't be have been born!"

So sorry for the relatively short review, I promise I will do better next time.
I also don't have a fancy camera so we will need to put up with my mobile phone pictures!
$2012-05-15 19.51.55.jpg

yeah shes a biggen! And has one hell of a point!

Attachments

• $_MG_6530.jpg
    $_MG_6530.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
So shave #2 is done. I'll tell you one thing Pinaud clubmen stinks, special reserve or not I think it is horrid! but that's just me.
I shaved with my Ingram straight with custom scales and ivory wedge, it was my first rescale and greaseless compund job and I'm rather proud of it but I wish the scales where a little bit shinier
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear

I shaved with Gaia shaving cream; I had never even heard of it before but man i want some. It smells like lemons but not in an artificial arko way but a fresh subtle dense gentlemanly way. Not like being hit in the face with a sock full of urinal cakes...

I used my $13 Omega pure boar brush that I love even though its a cheap as chips and the cream just exploded into dense thick rich creamy puffs or meringue goodness (are you getting the hint that I liked it) after 3 soft passes with my Ingram honed on a LBP bout I did not have any harshness or nicks, s
ee, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O that I were a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek!
I decided to follow on the in the skin food line and also keep the citrus theme and try the Lime skin food, maybe it was the lemon hit from the Gaia but the skin food didn't seem that 'limey' but I may have still been overwhelmed by lemons....man I just want to put that lather on a sponge cake and eat it; so I did....don't its been specifically designed to shave with not eat and doesn't taste half as good as it smells. I had flashbacks of when I was young eating my big sisters lipgloss because it smelt so much; I didn't learn.

I finished of with this swill of an after shave clubman I guess its designed for people who carry clubs and live in caves and thump seals and woolly mammoths, it's about as sophisticated as the bloke in the hypo-colored vest heading home in his commodore with the GIANT commodore sticker on the back window, we know its there and serves a purpose but we don't necessarily want it hanging around with us all day.

So to sum things up this was a love hate shave my razor was like Shakespeare's Juliet beautiful gliding through and leaving everything in its way quiet and perfect. My aftershave like baz Luhrmann's Romeo; Shirt half undone screaming and running round like it owned the bloody place.

Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.

Attachments

• $2012-05-17 21.10.57.jpg
    $2012-05-17 21.10.57.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 70
Great review Lex. Agree with the Skinfood comments, I definitely prefer the Coral or Sandalwood. Clubmam reminded me of Brut, but maybe my nose is warped.

Cheers.

My fellow B&Ber's
I am sorry for my lack of response but I have been a horrible Traveling box member. I messaged Nosedog several days ago asking for his address to post this fabulous box to him stating that it would be posted on Monday. Sunday night comes and I get a call being pulled away from work. Since Sunday I have not seen my pillow yet alone the face of a straight razor. In all the commotion of work and some issues around that I completely forgot to ask my wife to send the box. From the deepest part of my heart i apologize for this horrendous oversight. To bribe my self back into your hearts I included my favorite shaving product in all its quaintness I will describe it as how Legion once described it...A **** biscuit AKA Arko. Once again I am so sorry for this but I spent so much time thinking about work I completely forgot about my B&B family. I will now proceed to shave with an out the box gold dollar, followed with an R41 with a Merkur blade set on 9, pre shave will be Tabasco, cream will be oven cleaner foam and I'll use cheap scotch as aftershave balm...I shall repent my sins.

I swear the box will be sent tomorrow. Once again Nosedog and fellow Aussies I am sorry for holding everything up.

Yours truly Lexbomb

First you fail to send the box, then you compound matters by adding the very item I was going to add! (Yes, a **** biscuit. Or as I know them, a trough lolly.) :001_smile

Seriously, though, take care of yourself, have a good rest, and let the box hit the post when it does. Much as I'm glad to be receiving the thing, it could be tomorrow, next week or next month without troubling me. Save the oven cleaner for its intended purpose...

Just received at work. Thanks Lex. Looking forward to the shaves this long weekend.

Update (after bringing it home). Wow! I cannot begin to describe the awesomeness that has gone into this box. Brendan has done such a great job putting it together, and of course others have contributed all manner of cool things. I see lots of familiar items from the last incarnation of the traveling box (which is fine -- I didn't get to everything, and several things I'll happily try again), and also lots of new stuff.

Things I'm particularly looking forward to trying: Speick cream, EJ cream, Tabac AS, various other ***, Gillette Blue blade, ASCO blade. Then there's Old Spice cream and Mennen stick (Fiji), just to tick them off the list. Finally, I see lots of Eau de ThisAndThat, which isn't my thing. But alcoholic aftershave wasn't my thing until the last box came around, and now I use ASL instead of ASB nearly every day.

I'll steer clear of the Croma and Rapira blades, and top up the blades bag when I'm done: Feather, various Gillette (including Bleue Extra, my favourite blade), Astra. And I'll revisit my original soap -- Proraso green tub -- which I haven't used in over a year.

It's great to see such wonderful workhorses in here: Euro Palmolive stick, Arko stick, MWF, Proraso soap and AS, Speick AS. And also lots of other soaps that I don't need to try because I tried so many last time and my taste in soaps has matured and settled. But for an Aussie starting out in this wonderful world of traditional shaving, this box is the most incredible opportunity to get up to speed with so many products that get mentioned on B&B all the time.

So there's my first review: of the box itself. A lot to look forward to, and hopefully to whet the appetite of others who haven't joined in this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom