What's new

where do you keep your soap refills?

Apologies for the inquisitive newbie thread.

I'm wondering where you keep your soap refills in-between shaves.

Is it ideal to have the wooden bowl that it should fit into as with say,
Dr. Harris soaps?

I thought I might save a bit of money and just buy a refill instead of
having to shell out for the wooden case too.

wondered if anyone knew of something befitting, or crafty, for me to
keep a refill in.

I'm using a proraso soap right now and want to try out a Dr. Harris
but am not quite swimming in the big bucks at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

You can keep a refill in any container. A mug, glass bowl or plastic Tupperware if you want. You can either find something it fits in or you can shred it with a cheese grater, smash it in there and after a few lathers it will look like it came in the bowl.

You can keep a refill in any container. A mug, glass bowl or plastic Tupperware if you want. You can either find something it fits in or you can shred it with a cheese grater, smash it in there and after a few lathers it will look like it came in the bowl.

This is a great help & will save me some money.

Thank you kindly Brent.

This thread can be swept into oblivion (if that is an option)

No problem. Wooden bowls are nice too. Sometimes they aren't too much more in addition to the soap. Other times it can be crazy. Those cases I use a cheap bowl. Enjoy either way.

i feel confident that should be able to find a cheap old wood shaving soap bowl at the thrift. If not, I should be able to find something with the ideal
dimensions.

no targets in Canada and the closest Ikea is two provinces over (so about an 11 hour drive ;) thanks to the State of Maine).

for those who keep there soap in a mug is there a risk of the soap becoming to water-laden and getting soft and gooey?
It seems like water would build up underneath and around the puck, no?

Yet I'm fond of the idea of using an old OS mug.

I leave the lid on loose or off until it is dry. Then seal it up if its going to be a while between uses. They seal air tight. Don't know if it matters that much, but that's what I do.

BTW, I have one with dr harris alrington and one with tabac and they both fit well with no modification.

Last edited:
That looks conveniently stack-able too. Would one want to keep the lid on to keep the soap from drying out?

Anybody know the dimensions of a puck of Dr Harris or TOBS soap?

Thanks all for the great help as usual!

I use those 1 cup containers and love them. I actually like them more than the wood bowls and when I got a puck of TOBS with the wood bowl, I took the TOBS out of it, milled it with a kitchen grater, and pressed it into one of these glass bowls. As I recall, the puck was a little small to fit well and I ended up chasing it around the bowl, hence the milling and press fit. I have a puck of DRHarris and it too is a bit too small for a perfect fit. When it comes time to use it, I'll mill it as well.

The L'Occitane Cade soap, on the other hand, fits very well as far as circumference goes. I got the sides wet then pressed it down as far as it could go. it makes a good enough seal with the glass that no water seeps down underneath it. THere is an air gap under it though.

All a great help. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link Dr. Roadrash - going to check that out now.

Target and Ikea both sell really nice inexpensive containers that are perfect for soaps.

^What this man says.

I purchased a clear glass bowl with a top for only a few dollars. It was labeled as a sugar bowl in the housewares section however it looks more like a classy shave soap bowl.

Top Bottom