What's new

Got some captains choice bay rum aftershave today

B&Bers,
I had one of my best shaves ever today. I used a british gillette #77 with a super iridium which provided a very smooth bbs shave but, thats another story. A quick word about the aftershave. I have been using gentleman's refinery standard balm for the past year as my main go to. It is very nice as well. Tonight I tried the captains choice. This stuff set my face on fire for about 5 minutes. I tried to splash just a small amout out of the bottle but, I managed to get alot more than I meant to. I didn't want to waste it so, on the face it went. WOW it burned. This was my first time with an alcohol/witchhazel aftershave so, many of you are probably laughing at this. I guess I have no tolerance for this stuff yet. When the burn subsided, a coolness set on and my skin felt great. It is hard to describe. The smell is very nice and long lasting but, not overpowering even though I applied too much. It has a spiced rum smell with some cloves in there. more spiced rum than cloves though. A very pleasant fragrance. I really enjoyed this stuff.

Andy

I have a bottle and love it. There's almost a sandalwood feel to it in addition to the traditional bay rum notes. Great stuff! and I love the burn!

Love it... it's a part of my regular frag rotation.
The trick on the bottle is to lay your thumb over the opening sideways, leaving a small slit that you can shake the contents through.

Also, don't forget to shake well. I get some burn, but NOTHING compared to Pinaud VIBR or Special Reserve. Captain's is a little more "burny" than Floid Blue.
If you are not shaking the bottle, I assume the ingredients can separate and lead to a strong "hit" of alcohol.

I did shake it well, I just didn't put my thumb over it like you said. I will remember that next time. I don't think the burn could get much worse. I mean I was on FIRE.

Ya... attempting to simply pour it will always result in too much being used, but making a shaker cap with your thumb works wonderfully.

On the burn? It's a GOOD burn.
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum burns more (but I still would not call it a bad burn).

But one thing about Bay Rum... it will certainly let you know if you were not 100% perfect on your shave!

Like I said, I just have no tolerance for alcohol/witch hazel. I agree if there is such thing as a good burn, this would be it.It's not a bad painful burn and it passes quicky. I hope I didn't turn anyone off that is considering this product. I used it hours ago and it still smells nice.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite aftershaves.I always do a cold water rinse then apply aftershave.Pour a little in your hands rub together and wait 3 or 4 sec. then apply to face.

I tried Captains Choice a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it. I just received my first full bottle yesterday as a matter of fact. The little burn I get at the end is VERY nice and it smells great. He sells samples for a nominal price so I recommend that everybody at least try it. On a related note, I just ordered an Ogallala sample pack and I can't wait to give that stuff a go.

I have some on order that is now winging its way to me! I decided that after a couple of months of using all the regular AS like AQ - Musk & Ice Blue, OS, Mennen and Pinaud Clubman (SWMBO loved them all!) in the rotation, it was time to venture out.

After reading all the accolades for Og & Captain's Choice - I ordered both with the Bay Rum Bonanza for OG!

The OG came today and will be in the exclusive rotation position tomorrow for a week and then Captain's Choice the week after.

Gene

Love it. My wife say's I smell like cinnamon or Christmas...My daughter always say's "daddy you smell good". I like it as it leaves a nice moisture to my face.

I love the Captain's Choice as well. Unfortunately, the wife is not a fan. :sad:

Same here. The wife doesn't like any of the Bay Rums. Note that I deliberately use the appellation "wife" instead of "SWMBO" in this particular post as, in this thing, I do not abide by her preferences. (At least Monday - Friday when I spend the bulk of my day away from her. :wink2: Weekends are another thing entirely. She loves the AV, and likes the Pinaud Special Reserve, or for special occasions the top choice of everything I've ever tried: Burberry Brit for Men AS Balm.)

Positively love Captains Choice. So does SWMBO. It is my go to AS. The scent is great, and the feeling is hard to describe.
Johnnie

Top Bottom