What's new

second SR size/grind

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I started shaving with a Dovo 5/8 half hollow at Christmas.
shaving is going well, almost felt like I have been doing it for years this week.
Starting to think of a second razor. just not sure which size or hollow type to try next.
think I have a medium to heavy beard so are leaning towards a 6/8 quarter or full hollow.
any input on alternatives welcome.
psssssst don't tell swmbo hope to slip this in the house when she goes to Rarotonga for a few weeks:thumbup:.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think a full hollow will give you a nice change of feel in your shave. Some say they can feel the thin hollowground blade bend around the contours of their face enroute to a BBS :). Ymmv of course.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My first razor, before I snapped it in half, was a singing vintage. I was a noob so its hollowness was lost on me at the time. In hindsight I remember it being very loud, and it was light too. The closest thing to that I have now is my Boker King Cutter. It is so thin it feels like shaving with a piece of paper. I like it, but I lean towards heavier grinds recently. But, the Boker is in the rotation :). I would go with the evide sonnant, and the get a 1/4 hollow later, so you have a full spectrum covered with respect
to grind.

I agree - might want to try a full hollow. It is much different. Also, wider blade like a 6/8 or 7/8 if you can find one at a good price. I've been leaning much more towards ~7/8 lately and might let a few of my smaller blades go to fund some bigger blades.

I Agree on the the full hollow recommendation. You should be able really feel - and enjoy - the difference in blade grinds.
But i am not sure you are going to be able to find a NOS, they don't seem to come up as frequently as 'slightly used' in great shave versions.
Good luck on your search,

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
$grel7two.jpg
Thiers Issard 7/8 Horn - 1/4 hollow - Mirror Polish
I know it's more than the 100-$200 indicated budget.........but I am sure I could find the extra for something nice.
240 euro but as I don't pay the tax it's ONLY 201.68 Euro. That's $264USD / $315NZD
tried looking at ebay. I find something I like and it won't ship to NZ way too frustrating for me if I can see but not buy.
also looked at Heribert Wacker ground 7/8 Dorko #1151 Spanish point @ $329usd &
7/8 Dorko 1151 Spanish Point - blond buffalo horn. @ $264USD
$dorko.jpg$wacker.jpg

If you had to pick one of the these which would it be?

Top Bottom