What's new

Stropping after Cro

How many people Strop on leather after Cro? Do you really need to hit the leather after Cro on balsa?
I find that the edge is keener off the Cro and balsa, while its smoother off the leather.
Post your preferences and experiences using Cro and balsa, with and without a leather follow up.

I always strop on leather before a shave regardless of what's been done before that.
Just be sure to rinse/wipe the blade off before going to leather coming off CrOx. You don't want any carryover onto your daily leather strop.

If I use a pasted strop of any kind I still follow with regular stropping. As has been said, make sure to wash and dry the blade after using pastes before going to your daily strop.

Legion

Staff member
I always strop on leather before a shave regardless of what's been done before that.
Just be sure to rinse/wipe the blade off before going to leather coming off CrOx. You don't want any carryover onto your daily leather strop.

+1 to all this.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Another +1. You got to wipe the blade clean and strop on unpasted leather after CrOx, or indeed, after any abrasive, or at least certainly right before shaving.

Has anyone else tried shaving after a Cro/balsa stropping? The blade feels keener to me, than if I go to the leather.
Why Strop on leather when you've already stropped on Cro/balsa?
My logic is that you don't need to realign the edge of the blade because your not honing, your stropping.
Try it off the Cro/balsa and report back on your experience.
Hit the leather than the Cro/balsa. If you haven't tried it, I think you will be surprised.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have tried it. It does have slightly more cutting power, but I think it is due to the roughness of the edge. I prefer the comfort from a leather stropped edge. A saw is not as sharp as a butter knife, but it cuts a 2x4 a lot faster. A good stropping tames the edge, makes it kinder to the face. It makes your blade less saw-like. However, if you like shaving straight off the CrOx, then there is no reason not to do so, just because most guys prefer shaving off the unpasted leather. The consensus is just a guide. Ultimately, you find your own way of doing things, which might differ from the usual ways.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My edges always go up a notch on the HHT scale using linen, then leather after any hones or sprays. Leather does have a slight burnishing effect on the bevel, so I have read anecdotally, so leather should help, or at the very least not deteriorate an edge.

I have shaved off a pasted strop with and without going to the leather. Big difference, you won't want to skip the leather again! You might (probably will) get a less quality shave, but you won't hurt yourself if you try it.

Phil

Top Bottom