What's new

Long Island Iced Tea -- B&B Classic Cocktails

Pat (Castlecraver) was nice enough to allow me to do this one. Since turning 21 a few weeks ago, I have to say that this is one of my favorite drinks. I am not ashamed to admit it :001_tt2:

The Long Island Iced Tea is a highball drink. What makes it unique is the fact that, unlike most other highball drinks, the Long Island Iced Tea has a higher alcohol to mixer ratio. According to Dale DeGroff, a master mixologist, the Long Island Iced Tea was first served in the 1970s at the Oak Beach Inn in Babylon, New York by Robert Butts. The Long Island Iced Tea is a summer drink.

I prefer going by IBA recipes. They measure is centiliters. One centiliter is equal to ten milliliters or about 1/3 of an ounce.

You will need:

1.5 cL vodka (I used Tito's Handmade Vodka)
1.5 cL tequila (I used Cazadores Blanco)
1.5 cL white rum (I used Cruzan Aged Light Rum)
1.5 cL Cointreau
1.5 cL gin (I used Boodles British Gin)
2.5 cL lemon juice
3.0 cL gomme syrup
Dash of cola

Here is what I got:

proxy.php

Take a highball glass (yes, I am aware that this is the incorrect glass), and fill it with ice:

proxy.php

Start out by measuring 1.5 cL of each of the liquors:

proxy.php

Add each of them to your glass. Measure out 2.5 cL of lemon juice:

proxy.php

Add it to your glass. Measure out 3.0 cL of gomme syrup:

proxy.php

I was unable to find gomme syrup anywhere, so I resorted to making it myself. Here is the recipe that I used.

After all the ingredients have been poured into the glass, fill it up with cola, use a long spoon to gently stir, garnish, and serve.

proxy.php

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have simpler recipe for that drink:

Empty contents of liquor cabinet into large vat.
Stir.

The Long Island Iced Tea is an anytime drink.

FTFY :drool: Long Island Iced Teas are mu drug of choice as well. Depending on what my mood is, what kick I am looking for, or who I am making them for, I'll vary the liquor content between .5 and 1.5 ounces of each. I also go with homemade sour mix, as I haven't been able to find gum arabic or gomme syrup around here.

Drink up!

Dave

Heh.. I drank those in high school, but boy.. mock long islands if you want, but boy! They certainly have pound for pound a serious serious kick to them!

Just don't mix them with milk and irish cream (and then drink a beer).. Did I mention I was eating cheesies that night? Not a pretty site when the volcano erupted.. :lol:

I have simpler recipe for that drink:

Empty contents of liquor cabinet into large vat.
Stir.

Ya, I think most of this drink's taste is derived from the sour, so you could probably use just about anything.

If you dont mind me asking, where in NC did you find Boodles?

I never purchase liquor in North Carolina. I always drive down to South Carolina. I am not sure where in North Carolina you live, but I am a fan of Frugal MacDoogal, which is about 45 minutes from where I live.

FTFY :drool: Long Island Iced Teas are mu drug of choice as well. Depending on what my mood is, what kick I am looking for, or who I am making them for, I'll vary the liquor content between .5 and 1.5 ounces of each. I also go with homemade sour mix, as I haven't been able to find gum arabic or gomme syrup around here.

Drink up!

Dave

If you cannot find the gum Arabic in a store, you could just make a simple syrup. I tried that once, and it was just as good.

Top Bottom