What's new

Amateur (Ham) Radio Operators

Hi. Just wanted to see if there are any amateur radio operators out there.

My call sign is AB0HI and I am licensed as an Extra class. I have held a license since 1993.

Hey now..kb8viv, here. Extra class, also. To be honest, though, I haven't had the radio on in quite some time.. I have a knwd ts870 running into a full wave 80 meter loop, not up very high..but it works.....73's.

Steve

Hi Steve. Right now I have an Icom 703 QRP rig and a Buddipole. I am doing mostly portable operation at the moment. I had an Icom 718 but donated it to an high school that is starting an amateur radio club.

de N0DAM. Tech license for quite some time. Need to get off my back side and upgrade. I've got a Yaesu FT-101ZD sitting on the desk just waiting to be 'warmed up!'

Alright, tis a small world I guess. My first HF rig was an ft-101e that was beat, my wife would get mad whenever I turned it on, cause as soon as the tubes warmed up, it would smell like a stogie in the shack LOL. That old, beat-up boat anchor only put out about 30 watts. Made my first dx contact on it though, Cuba, on cw.. I was hooked after that LOL.

Seems like, with the advent of puters, that ham radio is losing it's appeal. That's too bad, cause it's a lot of fun.

Steve

OldSaw

The wife's investment
First rig was a modified Johny 1. Oh wait, that's a CB.

First real rig was a Heathkit HW-101, AKA Hot Water one oh one.

Advanced class license lapsed about five years ago. My Kenwood HF rig, 2 meter mobile and handheld will all be going on the auction block soon.

CQ

KB9VWH. extra class. FT897, Collins 30L1, Butternut vertical and a hand full of other gear.

good to here there are others with the hobby. and it seems to be one that you can spend as much on as the various AD's here. Vibroplex Acquisition Disorder? Collins AD? and so it goes.

Hi, KE7HGE (general class) checking in. Yaesu FT-897D, Gap Eagle vertical, G5RV, and a couple of 2M rigs..
Ken.

Hi Cory, yep, you can talk all over the world with a modest antenna. You do have to be license'd though. Or, if you know a ham, you can get on the air at his shack, under his supervision. Tis a fun hobby. To be honest, I usually just tune around the shortwave bands and listen.

Steve

Not a ham, but I was a shipboard radio operator for many years. I often tune my Icom R75 to the ham bands just to copy a little cw to keep my hand in. Like riding a bicycle, you never forget it.

Not a ham, but I was a shipboard radio operator for many years. I often tune my Icom R75 to the ham bands just to copy a little cw to keep my hand in. Like riding a bicycle, you never forget it.

It is good to hear that you are keeping up with your CW. I am not sure if you are aware that they eliminated the CW test requirement for all levels of amateur radio licensing. This created two opposing sides. There were those who were in favor of the elimination and those who opposed it. I think the idea was if they waived the CW requirement they would get more individuals interested in getting licensed and they felt that CW was becoming antiquated. Also CW was a stumbling block for many.

However, When I got my licenses I had to pass the code tests. However, I am OK with the eliminatation of it because you can still learn it if you want to take the time to study and practice and it is still being used by many hams on the air.

My pop was a ham and my big brother is still carrying the torch. I'm a shortwave listener on my Grundig Satellite 800, but I've often thought of picking the hobby up myself. My next door neighbor is from Denmark and he has a giant antenna just next door...

I got my novice ticket in '73, eventually making it up to the Advanced class. Unfortunately I've been off the air for 20+ years (though I've kept up with my license renewals).

--Mark

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It is good to hear that you are keeping up with your CW. I am not sure if you are aware that they eliminated the CW test requirement for all levels of amateur radio licensing. This created two opposing sides. There were those who were in favor of the elimination and those who opposed it. I think the idea was if they waived the CW requirement they would get more individuals interested in getting licensed and they felt that CW was becoming antiquated. Also CW was a stumbling block for many.

However, When I got my licenses I had to pass the code tests. However, I am OK with the eliminatation of it because you can still learn it if you want to take the time to study and practice and it is still being used by many hams on the air.

What! You mean I can get my license back just by taking the written test!?!? Of course this information comes just as I am preparing to sell all my stuff.

Well, I'm reviving an old thread, but I just found it so it's new to me! :tongue:

I'm a fairly new licensee and I hold a General. I passed my CW test before they removed the requirement. I like CW and would like to get on the air with it, but I haven't been practicing.

Old Saw:
What! You mean I can get my license back just by taking the written test!?!? Of course this information comes just as I am preparing to sell all my stuff.

Actually, if you had a ham license before, you might be able to get your call back as lt wasn't taken by someone else. They have a "vanity program" now whereby you can request a specific call. There is some paperwork and I believe a $20 fee.

Check www.vanityhq.com

I kind of like the idea of the shaving net! I have a dual band 2m, 70cm in my car, and I have a yaesu FT-107M and an SGC SG-2020 at home with a base loaded mobile whip out a window; but I live in a small apartment, so I have to set it up and tear it down every time I use it.

Brian KC2NYP

I may be a little rusty, but I'm up for a cw qso..NJ and Ohio should be good on 40 during the day, maybe 80 at night..I'm running a full wave 80 meter loop which is pretty good on 40 & 80..

I only ran cw for the first year or so I was licensed, till I upgraded to General..I hated cw when I was studying for my first license, I just figured it was "Union Dues" to be able to operate voice..After I learned cw and started making contacts, I was hooked..I've made some of my best contacts using cw, boy those Russians are fast cw ops..Oh well, I'm ashamed to say I don't even turn the ole rig on anymore..I can't remember the last time there's been any fire in the wire..

Oh well, let me know if you want to try a contact..

Steve
kb8viv

Rob KB2PSM here!
Been licensed since 1992 and hold an Amateur Extra license.
(Wife is KC2DKD and daughter was able to echo the local repeater ID before she spoke most other words!)

I'd list my equipment, but there isn't enough bandwidth here!

Past President of the Kings County Radio Club (Brooklyn, NY)

Former Radio Officer for Brooklyn for the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management and former Emergency Coordinator for Brooklyn for Amateur Radio Emergency Service.

This weekend is the NYC Marathon, and as a Senior Official on the Ham Radio side, will be a quick and busy little beaver as I drive the course ahead of the runners, stopping at every mile post from Mile 3 through the finish line.

There will be over 400 ham radio volunteers providing all logistic/emergency/welfare traffic for this event.

Best 73
Rob - Long Beach, NY

Top Bottom