What's new

First Straight Shave.....I Am Hooked!

Just got my Dovo Best Quality 6/8 half hollow professionally shoned from SRD along with their beautiful red latigo 3" strop. I have been wet shaving for about a month and have had great success. Had about two days growth, so I hopped in the shower and went thru my normal beard prep. Hot shower, Proraso pre-shave before getting out and lather up with Tabac. Stropped the razor a little before the shower and again after I lathered.

I suck at stropping. After watching videos, I figured I am a reasonably coordinated dude and could manage. I was incorrect. I went pretty slow and managed to only put a little tiny nick in the strop close to the bottom. Just something that will take time to learn.

After stroping, I raised my blade to my right cheek. Little shaky to start. After a couple short strokes, took a deep breath and made a couple more. None of them felt real great. I switched hands and that was even worse. I think my left hand is retarded. Only tried a couple strokes on that side. At this point my lather was pretty dry. I rinsed off with hot water and put a hot towel on for a minute. I was very unsatisfied so I lathered up again and went back in. Not sure if it was just calmer nerves, blind luck or what, but I managed a couple strokes closer to my mouth that were nice and smooth. Tried the left hand one last time and just couldn't get comfortable holding the razor so I put it down and finished up with my DE.

Overall I am very pleased. Didn't cut myself. Not too much irritation. Got in a couple good strokes so I know what it should feel like(I think). Can't wait to give it another go!

Go at a pace that is comfortable to you. Welcome to the bottom of the learning curve. There's a bunch of us here.

Congratulations! Seems like you did a good job on your first go. Keep going slow and steady and you will be amazed at the shave quality you will get.

Nice! You're on the path. Keep it up with the left hand if you can, you'll be surprised after a week it will feel more natural and then after that you won't even think about it.

You may want to practice quite a bit stropping with a butterknife. It would be a shame to nick a nice strop like that.

Top Bottom