What's new

A new beginning: the chronicals of three new straight razor shavers

I tend to use longer strokes on the first pass, then shorter strokes with the following passes and final touch ups.

Thanks for the insight. I found that using longer deliberate strokes in the first pass and shorter controlled movements for the third pass also worked for me. The shorter strokes are really helping me to get a closer shave in the final pass - reminds me a lot of blade buffing with a DE.

snip
2)Don't use more pressure to get through tough whiskers. Try some easy guillotine and or short slicing motions (be careful). They make a big difference on the razors ability to go through the tough stuff.

Keep it up. Big break-throughs seem to happen in the 20-30 shave mark.

I have kept these two ideas in mind since I read your post. I am still too timid with the razor to commit to a slicing motion, but the guillotine angle has been useful. The idea helps a lot when I get to the XTG and ATG stages of the shave (not that I find full ATG is needed everywhere)
:behead::thumbup:

The 20-30 shave breakthrough idea must be pretty accurate too. I am starting to feel way less clumsy with the razor, am switching grips and hands often during the shave and don't need to think about it much.

My shaves are pretty much irritation free at this stage. The crevasse area of my neck still gets some minor irritation because I still have not figured out how to get in there effectively. And, my chin has some signs of burn because it tends to get the most attention/strokes in the shave. As far as closeness goes, I am still not at the same level that I am used to with a DE. Then again who knows, maybe I am at the same level of closeness that I was at with DEs when I was only a few shaves in with them.

Great to see the progress. Glad my info was of some help. I have had trouble with the crevasse area of my neck as well. I have found pulling the skin from that area to another area with better topography is helpful.

As far as slicing goes.... I don't know how the vets do it but my technique (such as it is) is more of a slight arcing of the toe as I move the blade along its path. It is more of a slight "swing" of the blade rather than a drawing of the blade like you would if you were slicing meat.

I hope that description made sense.

Adam, don't forget you have 3 free re-hone jobs that you can utilize.

Maybe I did a bad job of honing the razor when I sent it out. Opps.

I think i am going to try the balsa and see if i can get it a bit sharper before i decide to make use of the honing job. but thanks for reminding me about that. i think i managed to forget about that.

I haven't shaved straight in a little while, and that has made me sad. A combination of going full time at work (and trying to adjust to that schedule) and school work load increase has left me with not as much time to allocate towards shaving and so i have been going the quick DE route for most of my shaves. tonight though i decided i needed a relaxing shave, and it just so happens that i had a razor i wanted to try out (i am doing terrible about sticking with one razor, i know i know). I had decided that i might try a disposable blade straight razor so i could compare sharpness and see if that was the root of some issues or if it was more technique (which is nowhere near perfect, i am aware of that)

I managed to pick up a pretty much NOS Weck Sextoblade on ebay, and i have to say, its a pretty piece of work. I got a relatively good shave out of it. a little irritation. I still need to work a lot on technique for how to shave my neck, but i found shaving my chin and mustache area much easier this time around. I only drew blood in a few little spots, so i am not too displeased.

When i have some time this week i am going to work on stropping technique.

Tried out the Sextoblade again today after work. Unfortunately as i had a date with SWMBO later in the evening I was rushing a bit. Always a bad idea. Always. Ended up with a nice little nick on my cheek. Bled quite a bit before I could grab my styptic. However I slowed it down after that and finished the pass alright. No more pain. The neck was a bit smoother going this time. I did the second pass with my Gillette New as i still find ATG to be odd with a straight. Gotta get WTG down first.

As Sunday is earth day I think I am goin to try to shave with one of my actual straights on Sunday. I'll take the Morley & Sons to the balsa and then the strop again and see if I can't get the edge fixed up a bit. If not, then I may need to get it rehoned.

I think that I have finally settled on software.

When I first started out, I mentioned trying a few different creams/soaps to see what works best. This is an interesting process, my DE shaves are quick - usually only about 10 minutes or less for a DFS, so all I take into account for lather is scent, slickness, cushion, and whether it has a drying effect. Since the straight shaves take longer and the lather needs to stay on my face for longer without loosing effectiveness, staying power becomes another important factor to consider.

As I like to experiment with creams/soaps and even enjoy using super and uberlather, I tried a few other options as I went along. JM Fraser was an early front runner because of how slick it is, but I needed more cushion as I started out. Tabac was another option, but I found it a little drying when left on my face for too long. RazoRock Classic is really good, maybe could be slicker. QCS cream was also effective, but seems to leave my face with no slickness after the razor has passed over an area once (I know you aren't suppose to go over the area again after removing the lather, but we all do this a little). Cella was almost as good as RazoRock, but with no advantage over it. Bald Frog, Col Conk, and Trumpers were some that under-performed for me, others I did not try.

For the last four shaves I have used only one lather product. A late entry, but a clear winner. For me, only one product has given me the slickness, cushion, and lasting power that I need without drying out my face. The scent is nice also. That product is Queen Charlotte Soaps - Cayman Soap. I enjoy many of the other lathers that I can whip up, but I am confident that the QCS Cayman soap is my best overall performer.

Just thought I would share that. I am glad to have found one product that I can stick to. I enjoy reducing the variables when learning.

I think I just may have to order some QCS. I am happy with my e-shave soap but have wanted to try a bay rum. Your description of it sounds good.

I think I just may have to order some QCS. I am happy with my e-shave soap but have wanted to try a bay rum. Your description of it sounds good.

Grips, great choice and order with confidence ...this is one of my favorite soaps and Cayman is a great Bay Rum! To me, it is not really a cream but rather more like an Italian soft soap like Cella, RazoRock, etc., and I go about lathering it the same way (Marco Method).

Aah yes, Bay Rum is always a great addition to the den. Though, the term encompasses a wide range of scents. From what I understand, there are Bay Rums with more hints of clove and bay rums with less - which seems to be the major difference maker between one and the next. Whether this has to do with actual cloves or not, you will have to ask the guys in the fragrance forum who make their own Bay Rum AS splashes.

For me, the difference between the two types is easy to tell. Bay Rum with less clove tones, like the cool Bay Rum by Col Conk, have little clove and SWMBO does not approve (though I enjoy). Others like Ogalalla are more clove heavy and SWMBO loves (while the Ogalalla AS splash is fantastic, their soap is crap). I would certainly say that QCS falls into the clove heavy category - which may be a more sophisticated option between the two, but my knowledge of Bay Rum is sparse.

While I was stropping the straight before this morning's shave, rather than counting strokes, I could not help but think -
"So, how long do others wait before taking the next step in strops? I am ready for a new strop now, right? No need to feel like I don't deserve it?"

Not sure if it was made clear before, but one of the lovely perks of winning the PIF from SuperBleu was that Larry from Whipped Dog threw in a number of items to help us to get started. One of those items is a poor man's strop. I have been using it and enjoying it. See quick pics below.

I really thought that with concentration, I could avoid nicking the strop right from the get-go. To my dismay, as you can see above, I ended up putting a few noticeable nicks in the strop anyway. I tried to highlight them in the second picture. Though, I think that Larry's idea behind this strop is that it will get nicked.
On the up side, I don't think that I have put any nicks in the strop recently - so I may be ready to graduate up one strop level:biggrin1:

The poor man strop is getting the job done at the moment, it is a little over 2 inches wide and has about 16 or 17 inches draw length (I think). But I can't help but feel like I can have an even better strop experience with another strop. I have been browsing the options online and been lurking around the strop forum for ideas - there seem to be many reasonable options out there.

Is it time for a new strop? Would I notice a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only owned two strops. The same Poor-man's and my relatively new Big Daddy from StarShaving. Very pleased with both. I don't see a better bang for the buck with the two choices I've made so far.

To top it off both vendors have outstanding customer service.

I have only owned two strops. The same Poor-man's and my relatively new Big Daddy from StarShaving. Very pleased with both. I don't see a better bang for the buck with the two choices I've made so far.

To top it off both vendors have outstanding customer service.

Good to hear. I ended up going with StarShaving too. Whipped Dog has a nice Rich Man strop with an interesting felt, but I was worried that the 3inch width may be unwieldy to work with. I am excited to see the strop and post my impressions. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long, I made the order last week Sunday and it only shipped yesterday... In the mean time, I am still happily using the poor man strop and it is getting the job done well.

I decided to go with the 21/2 inch width because I don't find the x strokes to be overly cumbersome and became worried that I may have some trouble getting consistent blade contact with a three inch strop. I will report back about whether I feel I made the right decision.

Getting the new strop should also mark the moment when I am fully invested in straight shaving. Right now the poor man strop is hanging in the bedroom and that is where I use it. Once the new strop comes in (and after I have a careful chat with SWMBO), I will create a hook in the bathroom to keep the strop there - ready to use and in full display. Since all my hardware is stored in a dry bedroom closet, I don't have any stored in the washroom, actually the only razor that our guests ever see is a blue Lady Gillette that is always placed in some washroom shelf:laugh:. So, the hanging strop will be the first real visual giveaway that a straight shaver resides in the abode:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I don't have any problems with the 3" but I'm thinking I may enjoy a 2.5" better. The quality will be excellent no matter what.

I have had to take a slight break from the straight shaving experience due to being part of a Gem 1912 Single Edge pass around, but after that is over i will be back to playing with the straights!

Hey hey hey, my new strop came in today:clap:

And, just as I was really getting the hang of the poor man strop too.
I had a quick look at the new strop and it all seems great. All I want to do is get to stropping and shaving, but I actually shaved this morning and I don't think my face will respond well to two straight shaves in one day.

So, all I can really do now is hang the strop. What height do you guys prefer to hang your strops? Right now the hook for my poor man strop is just a little lower than my lowest rib. So, holding the other end of strop at my hip, I strop with a slight incline. It works well for me, but I have never tried anything else. What ended up working for you?

My attachment height is at about even with the bottom of my sternum. I would go with whatever height gives you the same slope you had with your Poorman's. That way there will be less new variables as you learn your new strop.

So, the new strop is up and broken in. I should probably take my own picture of it, but haven't yet, it is this one from the site.
proxy.php

When watching videos of people stropping, I noticed that it is not uncommon to have the strop hanging high with steep angle. I thought I may go this way just because it would look good. Alas, I gave it a test run by hanging the strop on a towel hook and could not get the razor to turnover properly for the downward stroke so it felt awkward. Also, while I don't typically have trouble with a little hard work, it is actually kind of tiring lifting your hand up so high 70 times in a row:blush:. Not to mention probably tough on your rotator cuff.

So, I ended up using the same hanging height as before - about even with my lower rib. I have used the strop three times now and am enjoying it. I feel like I do more stropping in less time, though it takes a little time to get used to the extra draw length of the new strop compared to the old one. Also, no nicks yet, hopefully it stays that way. The fit and finish of the strop is great. Craftsmanship seems flawless, I can't imagine ever wanting another strop (though ADs have a funny way of changing people's minds:laugh:)

Also, while we are all speaking candidly, I have one thing to admit. I religiously do about 40 laps on the wool felt that came with the strop before I actually go onto the leather. I don't have a paste or anything on the felt at the moment, so I am not really sure if I am accomplishing anything with the felt. I kind of feel like a young kid playing in the drivers seat of a dead vehicle. You kind of go through the motions of hitting the breaks, turning the steering wheel, adjusting the seat, and maybe even try hitting the horn a few times. So, everything looks and feels like the real deal, but deep down inside, you know you aren't getting anywhere. Does an unpasted felt do anything, really?:blink:

I had a great shave today.

Thanks again to SuperBleu for the chance to try a straight, I probably would not have made the leap by myself. And, thanks for all the advice from other members thus far, it has helped me get over the first big learning hump. Straights are a whole different kettle of fish compared to DE, the shave is more difficult, takes longer, and is more dangerous, but there is something really satisfying about making it all come together with a straight razor. I think I will make this my last post in the sticky, unless more people post soon hereafter. I personally don't mind talking to myself, but it may be more productive for me to contribute by delving into the rest of the straight razor forums on B&B.

This morning's good shave can be attributed to a few different minor things and one larger one.
1. I am getting a routine down - this makes the shave quicker, more effective and takes away guess work.
2. I am keeping the variables low by always returning to the same soap for every straight shave - in this case, the QCS Cayman which continues to produce my best performing lather.
3. Using the correct grip and hand for every situation - when I first started out, it was tough to change grips and even tougher to trust my left hand, but I forced myself to become accustomed to it wherever I knew it would pay off. Now I can't imagine not using my left hand or different grips as need be.

The larger reason for a great shave this morning is that I returned to the sharpening stones after my last shave. It had been about 15 shaves since I last sharpened the razor on stones and it seems like 15 is too many between shaves (for me). There is a noticeable difference when using a sharp blade and I expect that us newbies are harder on the blade than veteran shavers are. This morning's blade was a lot sharper than it was the shave before returning to the stones. All I am using is a Norton 4k/8k followed up by Crox on balsa and then the Red Paste on Balsa that Larry sells. Out of interest, I have also bought lapping film, but don't like it much and probably won't use it often. I prefer the feedback I get from the stones and the setup is easier (for me). When next I pull out the lapping film, it will be out of interest to see how polished I can get the blade, not because I feel the blade needs it. Whether sending a blade out or figuring out how to sharpen the blade for yourself, I suggest new shavers insist on having a sharp blade to get great shaves.

Top Bottom