Thread: Esterbrook 787 Oval Nibs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Esterbrook 787 Oval Nibs

I just found some really good nibs and am looking for a pen body to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? The nibs are Esterbrook Penesco 542's and also Esterbrook 787 oval points. Has anyone used these before?

Thanks,

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jswilki24 View Post
    I just found some really good nibs and am looking for a pen body to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? The nibs are Esterbrook Penesco 542's and also Esterbrook 787 oval points. Has anyone used these before?

Thanks,

James
    To my knowledge, which is a bit fuzzy at the moment, they fit all models of (vintage) Esterbrook pens... some you have to dip in ink to use, others carry ink on board in a sack. I seem to remember reading some time ago that they will also fit modern "Reform" brand calligraphy pens, but I'm a bit fuzzy on that one.

EDIT: Esterbrooks were sorta the "Bic" of their day... made to be cost effective and durable. Many kids learned to write with them and many businesses used these (such as banks) for clients to fill out papers, etc. Some unique patterns and colors to be found. The nibs are almost all great writers.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Richard, I believe you're confusing Esterbrook's Renew nibs (which have four-digit numbers and screw into their fountain pens) with their dip pen nibs (which I believe is what James has and requires a nib holder, basically a stick with a ferrule on the end). One is not interchangeable with the other. I very much agree, though, that Esterbrooks were (and still are) excellent bang-for-the-buck fountain pens, many with gorgeous celluloid bodies. I have several.

Go to www.esterbrook.net, probably the best Estie resource around. Click on "dip pens" in the left-hand menu.
    --Bob Farace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Bob is right.... I got a bit confused there and forgot about the (strictly) dip nibs. The "renew" nibs/units are great writers.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default thanks

Thanks alot,

I found the two boxes with atleast a hundred nibs per box and had to grab them. They were 4 dollars for both boxes together. Great deal. I am looking for a body to go with them.

James