What's new

C&E/EJ Ebony Travel Shaving Brush

proxy.php

So,

I picked up a C&E/EJ Ebony Travel Shaving Brush this week and was wondering if any other B&B'ers use one of these whilst on the road (or at home, for that matter)? Any thoughts/opinions/et cetera on this brush? The one thing that I am most concerned about with regards to this brush is that it may stay too wet (and perhaps get moldy or otherwise nasty) if it is in that little tube (which will be in my kit, which will be in my luggage) all day long. Has anybody had this problem, or am I just being a little crazy?

I choose to go with the C&E Best Badger Brush. What you can do is wash the brush after use and shake it to remove as much water as possible. Then hang it upside down so the remaining water can drip down from it. I sometimes use a few rubberbands suspended from a chair, table, door handle, etc. to hang the brush if I don't have a stand. After 15-30 minutes, you can use a blow dryer on low/cool setting and dry the brush hair.

roughrider said:
... I sometimes use a few rubberbands suspended from a chair, table, door handle, etc. to hang the brush if I don't have a stand. After 15-30 minutes, you can use a blow dryer on low/cool setting and dry the brush hair.

I decided to go with this brush as a travel brush since I need/want to use less space in my kit. I am going to be on the road for a little over a month this summer, and want to ensure that I can take all the goodies required for a great shave, but the kit MUST remain highly portable as it is highly unulikely that I will be in the same place for more than a couple of nights at a time. I don't know if I'll have a hairdryer with me (since I rarely use one) but I will make sure that I have some elastic bands (or rubber bands, if you prefer) with me to rig up a pseudo-stand as you suggested. I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to drill a few extra holes in the tube to help improve air-flow/circulation and hopefully minimize the dampness of my brush. Any other sage-like advice?

I have one of these, C&E/EJ Ebony Travel Shaving Brush, It's a good little brush but it does feel sort of prickley on your face, because it is a pure badger, but for me it's just fine.

The only thing I am not crazy about is the "football" shape of the handle when it gets wet it slides out of my fingers. There is nothing to grip onto.

It is a small brush and it dries very fast.

Stanley

I have their ivory travel brush. It comes with a different handle design. It does dry quickly, but Ive never "clocked" the drying time.

Randy

Stan-The-Man said:
The only thing I am not crazy about is the "football" shape of the handle when it gets wet it slides out of my fingers. There is nothing to grip onto.

Stanley

That's one of the reasons why I decided to go with Best Badger Shaving Brush.

proxy.php

The "football" shape doesn't really bother me much (well, at least not after one use)... it just requires a little more concentration/attention to make sure that I've got a good grip on the brush. I also don't mind the prickley-ness of the lower-grade hair... while I'm certain that this isn't ideal hair, it sure beats using any of the brushless creams I've tried (and we won't even mention the cans of foam/gel).

I use a travel brush in a tube, and use it quite often (rooney super silvertip) I love the brush, If I'm on the road I just give it a good shake and put it away, when I get to my next destination I take it out and let it dry, I have no complaints with this type of brush.

Ahhh, yes! I recently pondered over which EJ travel brush to purchase whilst visiting one of Atlanta's C&E shops. Ultimately, I chose the larger, ivory travel style, as the black brush was just too small for me to handle nicely.

I really like the brush and I'm sure to be purchasing the non-travel, larger version for $35, as it would be ideal for daily use, especially judging by all the great reviews for it.

While there, I also picked up a tub of Almond cream for $18, a tube of Nomad cream and a set of LaSource goodies for the wife :tongue_sm I must say that I think the C&E stuff is tops, w/ reasonable prices.

Good choice on all counts brother Bob!

I just ordered the C&E Best Badger for my brother, as well as a tub of Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream. But boy talk about Purchasing Power Parity; I paid $12 for a tub here in Oklahoma City (so of course I bought 2; one for my brother and one for me :biggrin: )

The C&E travel brush was actually my first choice when I started wet shaving, but the vendor I placed the order with was out of stock. So, instead, I purchased the SR101 as my main brush and used it every day for 4 months.

I recently got a PJ3 to use as my daily brush, and have now moved the SR101 to the "travel" role. Following some suggestions from the B&B sages, I went to my local pharmacist and asked for a pill bottle/tube that would fit the brush. They were only too happy to oblige, and I now slide the SR101 in the pill bottle, then place it in my dopp bag when I go on the road (as I'm preparing to do tomorrow).

Just to make sure it doesn't stay too wet, I usually leave the lid OFF the tube, so air can circulate around the brush. It doesn't slide out of the tube in my bag, and keeps the bristles from getting crushed. Voila--a really decent travel brush option.

S

Sam

If you vigorously shake out the brush and then rub it against a towel a few times, I am pretty sure you have 95% or more of the water out of the brush. I used a pill bottle as well, but since I usually pack the dopp kitt, leaving the brush out generally causes no harm and I just make sure not to put it against anything that might snag a hair. I use my regular rotation of brushes as I have found that the travel brushes I had (PJ1-best and a CE travel) just really did not give me the lather I wanted. I figure I am away from my home maybe 20 days at most a year, and most of those I am driving, so why deny myself the use of my usual setup? If I flew, I would be hand-carrying the dopp kitt anyway.

Sam

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I went with the ivory colored handle CE brush last year and have had no issues with it drying too slowly. I gently squeeze the exces water out then give it a serious "flick" of the wrist and it is fine. I sually let it sit out of it's tube until it's time to pack.

It is a little prickly and does not lather as well as it's two CE big, a bigger brothers but it works well enough. I find the $35 CE brush the best of the lot with the monster, $79 being just too big for me and my partial beard.

Tony

I have the ivory travel brush. I have had it for 6 months and have not experienced any problems with it sitting in my luggage for most of the day after a shave.

Top Bottom