What's new

Getting the fog out of the mirror.

So I hate getting out of the shower and having the first five minutes of my shave being in a foggy mirror. Is there any good ways to prevent this? I was thinking "Fog-x" by the people that make Rain-x. It's for your car but the same basic priciple applies. Any at home remedies? Anything is appreciated.

I've posted this before, get a can of foam shave goo (if you still have one great, if not borrow from your neighbor), wipe it on the CLEAN mirror, wipe it off with a soft, dry cloth. The mirror will stay fog free for quite a while.

I've posted this before, get a can of foam shave goo (if you still have one great, if not borrow from your neighbor), wipe it on the CLEAN mirror, wipe it off with a soft, dry cloth. The mirror will stay fog free for quite a while.

I have this same problem and never thought to ask about it in here. I have 17 cans of goo (gel, unless canned cream counts, and I have 14 of those). I can't wait to see how this works. Thanks!

shaving cream in a can works, the gels do not.

Also, if your kid gets crayon marks on formica, shaving cream will take it off.

Scuba divers have that problem with face masks. They spit on it and rub the spittle around...or the more fastidious cut a potato in half and rub it on the mask. A mirror would take a helluva lot of spittle, and might annoy the wife but the potato trick might be worth a try.

If I remember to turn on the vent fan before my shower, the mirror stays fog free. Otherwise, I crack the door and turn on the fan afterwards, and by the time I'm done making my lather the mirror has cleared up.

The only good usage of shave goo. Sadly, after I used mine up, I would not buy another even for this legitimate purpose.

Marty

I wipe the lather off my straight with toilet tissue and roll it up into a litte sausage. The next day the lather inside has dried and the tissue is impregnated with soap. So I can use that sausage to wipe the fog off the mirror, and it stays fog-free. Only works with straigths, though. :001_tt2:
Greetings
oskar

The reason the mirror is staying fog free w/the use of shave foam is due to what little emolients (oils) are in it. The oils hinder the steam from the shower from sticking to the glass.

Take a very small amount of heavily moisturizing shaving cream (Trumpers Coconut, Tobs Avocado, Nancy Boy) and when the mirror is dry rub the cream onto the mirror in a circular motion until it's almost completely clear (eg, the cream isn't making your reflection blurry). Wait a minute or two and then buff the mirror w/a terry cotton towel until it's clean.

If you do this right, you won't have to worry about fog for quite a while. I did this to my mirror about 4-5 months ago, and I've had a fog free mirror ever since. But if you're the type who, even if there isn't any fog on the mirror, has to wipe the mirror w/your hand when you get out of the shower, it won't last long.

I didn't think of it until now, but car wax might work as well. The wax in the car wax is what makes water bead up on your car, so it might work to defog a mirror.

I use Parkers Perfect, which is a defogger for all kinds of glass surfaces, glasses, optics, mirrors, etc. I get it through Cabelas. A little goes a long way.

Top Bottom