What's new

Organic after shave?

i just received an unscented aftershave cream from a seller on etsy.com

it thins out a bit after your body heat warms it up. i've only used it once but had great results.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RawElement

there isn't an unscented one available right now but I bet if you send a message they'll have some. here are the ingredients

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Organic Calendula officinalis Extract, Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Vaccinium myrtillus (Organic Bilberry) Extract, Saccharum officinarum (Organic Sugar Cane) Extract, Acer saccharinum (Organic Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus auranium dulcis (Organic Orange) Extract, Citrus medica limonum (Organic Lemon) Extract, Vaccinium macrocarpon (Organic Cranberry) Extract, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE), Palm Stearic Acid, Simmondsia chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Oil, Lecithin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyaluronic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Malic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Citric Acid

Witch hazel, like everything else you will find is 100% chemicals.

I'm not sure what you mean by organic. Presumably you could make an aftershave from ingredients (alcohol, essential oils etc) derived from organically grown plants. From a commercial standpoint, I'm not sure if there are any denatured alcohols where the denaturent is from organically grown sources, so that might be a problem. You might find it hard to locate things like organic witch hazel, West Indian Bay etc. What about glycerin? It is derived from fats, and you might find some that is derived from organically grown plants, but would the process of separating the glycerin from the triglycerid be considered organic?

You are aware that everything is 100% chemicals, right?

why so pedantic? the guy just wants to get some aftershave made with naturally derived ingredients. and there are many out there as this thread shows. and some are certified organic, so if you don't know what that means, they do know. many aftershaves use non-denatured alcohol, quite a few from their own fermentation, denaturing is just what pure ethanol manufacturers do so people won't drink it. glycerin would be organic if it came from certified organic plant or animals...saponification does not nullify that (if they use organic lye? :001_rolle)

http://www.gonative.co.nz/shop/Man+Made/Moisturisers/Glycerin+certified+organic.html

I recommend the weleda balm, it's great stuff and available locally if you have a whole foods.

+1 on the witch hazel. (I'd buy it by the gallon if I could find someone to sell it to me that way!)

I add a few drops of an essential oil (sandalwood, coconut, frankincense...the list is long) if I feel like a little scent. You can pick up a lot of essential oils that are organic, if you know where to look. I like mixing up my own batches of this stuff. Just a few drops of the essential oil added to aboul 300 mL of witch hazel and I have a nicely scented, natural aftershave. Total cost per batch has got to be less than 5 bucks. Can't beat it.

And I agree with the sentiments about putting toxic rubbish all over our faces. It's one of the (many) reasons I got into traditional shaving to begin with. I'll take the scent of fresh citrus, cinnamon, vanilla, or almonds any day over any of that gunk that shoots out of a can. I just think mother nature has put way too many great things out there for me to go slapping toxic goo all over my face...

(Full disclosure: I do, however make an exception when it comes to Old Spice - but only because my Dad was always drenched in it. I can't help but still love the smell of that stuff. I'm sure it's toxic as all hell. Oh well.):blush:

Top Bottom