What's new

Advice for using a straight razor with a very sharp/pronounced jawline...

So I've been using a DE for a short time now, and finally bit the bullet and purchased a straight razor, sight unseen deal, from whipped dog to get my feet wet. Getting dialed with the DE was not that bad at all, but I do have some concerns with using a straight because i am thin and have a very sharp, angled jawline. The only videos I have seen of guys using straight razors usually have round faces and i think to myself, sure it's easy with a face like that, but for those of us with a sharp, angled jawline, what have you found works for you?

The only videos I have seen of guys using straight razors usually have round faces and i think to myself, sure it's easy with a face like that, but for those of us with a sharp, angled jawline, what have you found works for you?

+1 to the skin stretching. Im new as well but find stretching to be real helpful for my jawline.
I really doubt anyone with a round face had it easier starting out. You just gotta start and learn for yourself.

Pull the skin that normally sits on the jaw-line so that its above a flatter area. Pulling it up so its sitting where your cheek skin normally sits could solve the problem.

I have a couple of tough areas on my neck that I just need to move to get at them without a cut.

Pull the skin that normally sits on the jaw-line so that its above a flatter area. Pulling it up so its sitting where your cheek skin normally sits could solve the problem.

+1 to this. I am thin too, and if I stretch the skin along the jaw line up onto my cheek more, it takes care of the jaw line. Then you end up with a shaved area that falls below the jaw line and you carry on shaving down your neck (which is another story for me - that adam's apple gets right in the way!).

I felt the same as you when looking at the Youtube videos - where are the skinny guys???

Good luck - make sure you grab low down your cheek for the 'jaw line stretch'.

my 17yr old has a face like you describe... just stretch the skin up and over the jaw.... you'll figure it out quick...

welcome to the tribe...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I also saw a lot of guys with moustaches and other facial hair. While I'm not skinny, my face does have defined jaw lines-

With careful adjusting of the blade angle you can go over contours like the chin and jawline in one fell swoop, if you so prefer. ATG passes in that style require good beard reduction, a sharp edge, steely nerves, and creative neck craning/jaw positioning. :)

That is the beauty of the straight-it is infinitely adjustable, minutely controllable.

Top Bottom