What's new

Coffee maker Food

It's an interesting idea. I would think an electric kettle would be superior in almost every way for cooking (especially if you picked up a steamer basket) without taking up any more space. Cheaper too. And if you get a cheap french press it would even make coffee better than an auto drip machine.

I used to regularly make hard boiled eggs in one because it was faster than doing it in a pot on the stove. And for a while at work I didn't have convenient access to a microwave so I would heat cans of soup in it too. That's about as far as it went though.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Real old-school dorm or bachelor tech cooking uses a "stinger". Take a lamp cord, strip 3/4" from each wire, and securely twist each to the end of half of a DE blade. Make a double decker sandwich out of the two half blades and three sections of popsicle stick. Make sure that neither the wires, nor the razor blades can possibly touch and complete the circuit. Tie the whole works together with a piece of string. Submerge in a liquid, plug it in. If the breaker doesn't trip, your liquid will boil in short order. Kids, don't try this at home. Presented for entertainment purposes only. Assembling and using or testing this apparatus can cause severe electrocution, death, considerable discomfort, and in California, cancer.

Cooking wasn't allowed in the dorms, but popcorn poppers were. So I had a bowl type popper for soups, and one of those domed flat pan poppers for a skillet. Heat control was the issue with them, but I got pretty good at manipulating the plug. This was back when Ramen only cost a dime per package.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Fresh cobs of corn in a small pot on a hot plate. A memory of mine from visiting a good friend living in the Toronto Student getto. I spread my sleeping bag out on what I thought at the time was the world's dirtiest carpet and listened to cats fighting all night which sounded like crying babies. The fresh corn on the cob was worth the trip.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There was an episode of Top Chef where the contestants had to make an entire meal from groceries they found in a Target store, and cook on whatever they could find in the store to cook with. The winner had grilled cheese sandwiches with irons.

I have used hot water from a coffee maker to make a cup o' noodles in the past, my favorite is instant oatmeal and hot coffee.

A lot of people use rice steamers, too. My cooking story from college - I wasn't in a dorm, but in a small apartment. Had a friend over studying and she asked if she could make some of the mozzarella sticks I had in the freezer. I wasn't paying a lot of attention, said sure, and that was that. A short while later, I hit the sack and she finished her studying, then headed back to the dorm. I got up in the morning and opened my toaster oven to make toast. She had put the mozzarella sticks on the grate without the tray. How she did not set off the smoke alarm, I'll never know.

The only non coffee item I've made in one was jamaica flower tea when I was overseas with flowers my buddy brought back from leave. His wife is Mexican, and the tea is awesome. I need to find me some of those flowers.

I found an electric wok was perfect for my dorm room (contraband, but useful all the same). I also had a microwave that masqueraded as a TV with the rabbit ear antenna I set on top of it to make it look like a TV to those that might catch a glimpse of it while walking down the hall...

Top Bottom