What's new

Is it Disorder, Addiction or just a Higher Level of Consciousness?

Hi, my name is Steve and I have a problem! I think I need some wise counseling, commiseration, or maybe just tough love! Since my return to traditional wetshaving (about 4 months ago), I am developing what so many have described at a variety of shave-related acquisitions disorders (ADs). Razors, blades, soaps/creams, etc. I find I look forward to my shave, even relishing the prospect of a second evening shave when I have to shave very early in the day. What's up with that? Is this normal? Should I be ashamed or just embrace it? Maybe this is a newcomer and temporary obsession. Tell me it is so!

I keep a shortcut to B&B on my desktop for ready access and check new posts constantly. I have open "Shopping Carts" pending checkout on several online vendors. I seem somewhat obsessed with reading about shaving in reviews and forums, trying new things I read, sampling products. Is there help available or is this all to be expected?

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Totally normal. :shaving:

I enjoy logging in to B & B several times throughout the day. I always learn something new, and truly enjoy the brotherhood.

All kidding aside, you will most likely end up with several razors, soaps, creams, sampler blades, and several brushes. The good thing is, if something doesn't work out for you, you can always visit the Buy/sell/trade forum.

The overall enthusiasm for getting more stuff, eventually wanes (somewhat) once you've amassed a bunch of stuff. I've pif'd some stuff to others.

Lessons I learned. Don't try to have everything. There will always be someone else that has more than you. Focus on technique.

If you really don't love something you bought, sell it, trade it, or PIF it. Just because some else espouses it, it doesnt't mean you will like it. Samplers, I can't stress these enough. It totally helps before you make major committments with soaps, blades, etc. Brushes, I love my inexpensive Semogue 1305 boar and affordable Simpson Berkely best badger as much as I like my more expensive silvertip badger brush.

Ultimately, have fun along the way in this wet shaving journey. Life is too short not to.[/FONT]

Got interested in wetshaving - 2 years ago
Got serious about wanting to try wetshaving - 1 year ago
Read everything I could and made first purchases - 2 months ago
Got obsessive about wetshaving and started acquiring products - 1.5 months ago
Bought products at a frenzied pace 1.0 months ago to 2 weeks ago
Started to regret so many purchases - 2 weeks ago
Settled on best set up for me and started to sell all other acquisitions - this week

Enjoying shaving more than ever, found some products that work for me, think that my AD has 'cured'... think its just part of a 'normal' cycle... you really only can use the stuff once a day. If you buy a new golf club you can go play, beat buckets of balls, etc... buy some shave soap you can shave... then all you can do the rest of the day is buy more shave soap... YMMV

Like "other things" ( cant describe in mixed company) it feels good to do....and so...you should do it all you can....:)

Totally normal. :shaving:

I enjoy logging in to B & B several times throughout the day. I always learn something new, and truly enjoy the brotherhood.

All kidding aside, you will most likely end up with several razors, soaps, creams, sampler blades, and several brushes. The good thing is, if something doesn't work out for you, you can always visit the Buy/sell/trade forum.

The overall enthusiasm for getting more stuff, eventually wanes (somewhat) once you've amassed a bunch of stuff. I've pif'd some stuff to others.

Lessons I learned. Don't try to have everything. There will always be someone else that has more than you. Focus on technique.

I was totally with you till that statement !!!

Hi, my name is Steve and I have a problem! I think I need some wise counseling, commiseration, or maybe just tough love! Since my return to traditional wetshaving (about 4 months ago), I am developing what so many have described at a variety of shave-related acquisitions disorders (ADs). Razors, blades, soaps/creams, etc. I find I look forward to my shave, even relishing the prospect of a second evening shave when I have to shave very early in the day. What's up with that? Is this normal? Should I be ashamed or just embrace it? Maybe this is a newcomer and temporary obsession. Tell me it is so!

I keep a shortcut to B&B on my desktop for ready access and check new posts constantly. I have open "Shopping Carts" pending checkout on several online vendors. I seem somewhat obsessed with reading about shaving in reviews and forums, trying new things I read, sampling products. Is there help available or is this all to be expected?

It's only odd if you have more soap than you can use in a year and more than 3 razors, otherwise you're good... ;)

It's only odd if you have less soap than you can use in a year and more than 3 razors, otherwise you're good... ;)

FTFY.

I only have 5 razors, total. Of course, that includes 2 cart razors... (I counted my soaps the other night, and I think I had like 9 soaps and 7 creams)

I find I look forward to my shave, even relishing the prospect of a second evening shave when I have to shave very early in the day.
normal

I keep a shortcut to B&B on my desktop for ready access and check new posts constantly.
normal, i have 3 different B&B shortcuts.

I have open "Shopping Carts" pending checkout on several online vendors.
normal

I seem somewhat obsessed with reading about shaving in reviews and forums,
normal

trying new things I read,
normal

sampling products.
normal

Is there help available ?
not around here

is this all to be expected?
Absolutely

It's only odd if you have more soap than you can use in a year and more than 3 razors, otherwise you're good... ;)

Opps! 5 razors (always looking), maybe a couple years worth of soaps/creams. Justified as good planning in case of global economic breakdown. That reminds me, I need to purchase a couple years worth of blades.

Chasing perfection, what is wrong with that?

Now, if you find you are amassing too much stuff, PIF, sell or trade off the stuff that isn't getting used.

So essentially you are like an alcoholic coming to a liquor shop for help with your problem?
Either way everything you have described is normal :001_tt2:

Thank you all for your affirmation and support. From the wise advice of my peers and mentors, I must conclude I am "normal" or have reached a different state of normal, my normal. Or at least, we all share the same malady. Either way, I am secure in the reality that I am in great company!

P.S. I wish I hadn't got a BBS this morning with a 4-shave Astra so I could get in another shave tonight just for me. Can't wait for tomorrow morning! Oh yeah, hope my sampler order from Garry's Sample Shop gets here soon!

ive only got 10 gillettes in rotation and 12 or so laying around.ive also got 2 plated gem ocmm and 2 brass ones,2 clog prufes and a bullet tip then theres ...i say your gonna fit in fine around here

Well you just acquired the DE shaving bug, that should last for a while then maybe it will taper off to something less reminiscent of a addiction. For me at least what happened.

Top Bottom