What's new

Perma Sharp

Just used these for the first time - got the HELL rash on my lower neck, not sure if ill try them again :D

anyone else got comments on these blades?

I got some earlier this week and I actually like them pretty well. I've been using em in my 2011 r41 with really nice results. I would guess the rash was from too much pressure, not the blade. I'm kinda sensitive when it comes to certain blades (can't use Feathers at all) but I haven't had any irritation from these.

True that, i cant seem to get any lighter on my neck, ive changed grips to only my thumb and 2 fingers at the base and im letting the razor mainly do it, could be blade angle i guess, might take them for another run for good measure.

Best blades on the market, if you ask me. I used 10 other type of blades, and felt some differences, but when I got to Permasharp I felt it was a different thing altogether. I would use them all the time, if I had the energy to shave the right way, but because I'm lazy, I use Red Personnas a lot, because they are so smooth.

Perma sharps arent that sharp and rough that they will give you a rash. For a sensitive area such as neck make sure you map the hair growth direction so that you dont go against it while using sharper blades.

Just to be clear the russian/turkish ones Perma-sharp or the gillette permasharp?
If its the russian/turkish ones I love them and they are my go to blade as always with blades more than anything YMMV.
Aaron

There are two version of the Perma-Sharp. One made in turkey I believe which is really "meeehhh" (like a Derby or worse) which usually comes in a plastic box and the Russian one which is the one everyone likes here. This usually comes packaged in cardboard boxes. Not to be confused with the Gillette blades!

Your description fits exactly with my experience with the St. Pete Yellow Sharp Edges that so many seem to love. Perma-Sharp was smooth as butter and very sharp for me though.

Perma-Sharp, the Russian one for Turkish market, is a great blade IMO. I reckon they do have a different to usual grind or something though. The are super smooth but not close shaving in milder razors like a Krona. In my 34C they are awesome. Super smooth and very close shaving. I have spoken to others who have noticed this blade tends to like a medium to higher aggression razor rather than a mild one. I wonder if the long handle on your barberpole is just getting this blade on an awkward angle for you?

Longevity is excellent, 5+ shaves are comfortably achieved. These are deceptively sharp due to the smoothness IMO.

I sensed for some reason that the Perma Sharp Super was physically thinner than others. And I liked it. Or was it the grind angle? Or just imagining?

The Perma-sharp Super (Russian Made/Cardboard Packaging) blade is one of my top blades. It's one of the few blades that are sharp enough to shave my most stubborn stubble areas. It's also pretty well balanced in terms of forgiveness. For $20 per 100 I think it's also a good value compared to Personna Meds, Feathers, and Gillette 7 O'clock (Yellow, Black, etc.)

I sensed for some reason that the Perma Sharp Super was physically thinner than others. And I liked it. Or was it the grind angle? Or just imagining?

I was thinking the same thing. They do seem to be a thinner blade.

Used a Perma Sharp today for the first time and it's sharp! Got a real close BBS shave with them but are definitely more abrasive than my go-to Bolzanos. Used this blade in my Maggard MR8 along with Tiki Walk The Plank tallow shaving cream. Really did an awesome job on my neck which is BBS. Never thought that and no problems with burn afterwards. Did put a nick on my chin, but was my fault. Can't blame the blade for that. Really loved how this blade cut through 2 days of stubble. Going to use this like all the blades I try for 4-5 shaves and see what it does. I gotta say I like it, but was harsher after the alum block than the Bolzanos. If the next 3-4 shaves are as good as today's, will be buying 50- Like 'em

My first shave with a Perma-Sharp was a couple weeks ago. At one point in the shave, it felt like there wasn't even a blade in the razor. Impressive.

Do you mean the PermaSharp blades from Russia ?
I've got some tucks in my rotation, I'd read good reports on them, and despite the high cost, curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on them last year, I quite like them, but at €19,49/100 including delivery from Turkey to Spain, they're a bit too pricey for comfort, and as I can only get 3 good shaves from each blade I only use them once in a blue moon as an occasional treat, and regretfully, once they're gone they're gone.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Or do you mean the Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green) Permasharp blades from India ?
I only tried these recently, and I'm hooked already, they're smooth and sharp, and if anything more comfortable than the Russian PermaSharps, and I can get 4 good shaves out of each blade.
And at only €12/100 including delivery from India to Spain, they're not only keepers, but also one of my new go to blades.
proxy.php
proxy.php

There are two version of the Perma-Sharp. One made in turkey I believe which is really "meeehhh" (like a Derby or worse) which usually comes in a plastic box and the Russian one which is the one everyone likes here. This usually comes packaged in cardboard boxes. Not to be confused with the Gillette blades!

+1. Need to really be specific as the same brand can differ substantially depending on where it is made! Russian blades rock IMO! :thumbup:

Top Bottom