What's new

Lapping film PIF

My order from Thor Labs arrived last night, and I found it this morning on the doorstep.
(black) 5 micron,
(red/rust) 3 micron,
(green) 1 micron,
(white) 0.3 micron films.

Up for grabs are 3 envelopes, anywhere a stamp or two can take them with 1 piece of each of the above approx 3.25x9 inches. (I don't know how much sending a letter internationally costs) You will have to provide your own substrate.

There is a catch, a gentleman's agreement: You must tell how you like (or don't like) the edge, and if you like lapping film and order your own, you must share a couple strips as a kit for others to try.

I was inspired by these two threads to give this a try.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/244168-Seraphim-s-Synthetic-Progression
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/272095-First-hone-setup

This is going to be quick and easy. The first 3 people who want in will get.

Phil

Last edited:
I am in! Thanks! Wanted to try that for a while!

Thanks Pkrankow! Got your PM - I am kind of getting excited about it all. I'll post here how I liked it. I know just the razor I'll be using it on too!

Last edited:
Nice PIF! When I was getting started I had thought long and hard about films, but wound up going with stones because of their longevity, even though I was sure an equivalent edge could be had with films up to 1 micron, and a sharper (more true) edge could be had with the 0.3 micron film vs. 0.3 micron Chromium Oxide. I hope the lucky winners enjoy their films.

Man you don't mess around Pkrankow! Got my film in the mail today. I can't thank you enough! I am going to shave tonight so I'll have to read those above posts and see how to use these puppys!

Thanks again Pkrankow - will report back.

Ok so it seems as though I don't have anything I feel is a flat enough surfac in this old house of mine; except maybe some glass from an old picture frame I am not using. Anyone have any thoughts on using the glass as a base?

I went to Lowe's and had a cheap piece of polished stone tile cut 4x12 inch (ish) the lady did a slightly crooked job, but I have 3 pieces that are suitable. $3 after tax, free cutting.

Believe it or not you might get to hone on this lapping film before I do!

Phil

I went to Lowe's and had a cheap piece of polished stone tile cut 4x12 inch (ish) the lady did a slightly crooked job, but I have 3 pieces that are suitable. $3 after tax, free cutting.

Believe it or not you might get to hone on this lapping film before I do!

Phil

You growing a beard lol!!

No. I have to clean the house for my daughter's birthday, she turns 4, so no honing for me till next week at the earliest. Once I start I loose an hour. That and I have a new green coticule AND a mystery stone that is a decent finisher I have been playing with so all my blades are sharp already...too many new honing toys at once...

Phil

No. I have to clean the house for my daughter's birthday, she turns 4, so no honing for me till next week at the earliest. Once I start I loose a couple hours. That and I have a new green coticule AND a mystery stone that is a decent finisher I have been playing with so all my blades are sharp already...too many new honing toys at once...

Phil
Here I fixed that for you lol! Congrats on your girls fourth! Mine will be 3 here in a month. Good times.

I totally hear you on the "loosing time." When I pull out mine, my wife turns and says, "See u next week lol."

Top Bottom