What's new

New guy jumping in head first in the deep end

Hey guys,

Just entered the world of wet shaving about a month ago and could no longer resist the straight razor itch. I have had great success shaving with a safety razor. I have fairly sensitive skin and I was a sucker for all the mass media of cartridge shaving. Now I think I have had maybe one in grown hair since I started wet shaving and barely any irritation now that I am getting the technique down. Also understanding that the beard prep process is probably the more important that the actual shave. Plus I absolutely love the whole process/ritual. Really gives a great sense of satisfaction and overall manliness.

Anyway, I heard back from my tax accountant on Friday and he informed me that I would be getting back a fair amount more than I was anticipating. It is also my 30th birthday in a few weeks, so I figured I would get into straight shaving with a bang. Here is what I picked up:

1. SRD Dovo Best 6/8 half hollow
proxy.php

2. SRD 3" Red Latigo Strop
proxy.php

3. World of Straight Shaving DVD

4. Camellia oil

I know its nothing real special but it got me even more fired up to get into straight shaving. So I went back to the forum and found a certain "Which straight did you shave with today?" thread. Saw some pretty outstanding pics on there. Really took a liking to the Thiers Issard blades. The by chance, I happened to stumble upon a honemeister/vendor from Germany, Rasurpur.

After some mental justification along the lines of "it is your 30th birthday", "you worked hard last year to get that tax return" and reading "it's a good idea to have two razors" somewhere on the forum, I caved in and ordered this:

proxy.php

Thiers Issard 7/8 Barber's Notch 1/4 Hollow with Blond Horn scales.

Martin said normal handle time from Deutschland to the US is about 3 weeks. I should get my kit from SRD by Wednesday. I figure this gives me a couple weeks of practicing with the Dovo before chopping my face up with the TI. I can't wait to get everything, especially the TI.

Ryan, that's some gear for starting out, a 7/8 blade and a Latigo strop(watch out you don't nick that one at the start!)! I admire you for your confidence, and I wish you well. Martin puts a fine edge on those TIs so you'll definitely know how a shave ready straight should be.:001_smile

That TI is beautiful for sure!! I am seriously jelous. BTW, the picture you posted of the Dovo is a 4/8 blade I think. I have one of those and love it.

Save some more $ before your 40th lol and be sure to get a hone. You'll be glad you did. You can however, get some balsa wood and pastes to touch em up for now.

invest in a starter strop... it is probably a good idea... cause your are gonna cry if/when you nick that SRP...

welcome to the cool kids club...

Thanks guys. I am really excited to get into this as you can tell. I think getting a cheap strop from Larry might be a good idea to practice on for a while. I know SRD sells replacement leather for a fair price too if I mess it up too much.

That's a very nice setup. especially the TI. Where did you get the TI from? I'm not sure who is Martin or rasurpur.

Cheers.

Top Bottom