What's new

Application of oud?

After a lot of tire-kicking, I recently ordered the Ensar oud sample pack - 0.5 g each of Borneo 3000, Khidr, Royale and Nuh. I figured that in the long run it would be best to try some good stuff first. Other than Amouage attars and an inexpensive oud, practically all my current frags have atomizers - I just spray some onto my chest and maybe wrists.

I'd appreciate tips for applying these high end ouds. I don't want to waste or overapply them and I do want to get the best out of them. My guess would be a tiny drop on the wrists as a start? Should I rub it out or just let is sink in?

I was told by our resident expert Evbo that a tiny drop on the wrist, and maybe at the base of the neck, is in fact a good place to start, and that it's best to just let it sink in. You really only need a tiny amount. Others can certainly correct me if I am wrong.

Borneo 3000 is amazing. I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

When they arrive, the 1st thing you'll prob need to do is to stand all the vials upright. That'll enable any oil that's collected in the cap to run back down into the vial. Some of these oils are thicker than the others so this step might take a little while. As you know, the stuff is precious, so give it time. You want to make sure you have every drop!

When you're ready to apply, tilt the vial gently so that the oil pools along its length. Use the plastic applicator wand attached to the underside of the cap. I put some on my wrists, in the crooks of my arms, and a bit on my chest. The stuff is STRONG, so use sparingly.

The trick w/oud is to not rub it in all the way. You want there to be a sheen of oil left on your skin. However, it's oil, and as such it *will* stain clothing. So you need to strike a balance -- be careful. For me, I've found that the trick is to rub it into my chest more than I'd rub it into my arms. After doing that, I rub my hands together & then rub my hands over the front of my shirt. This will impart the scent to the cloth without staining it.

You have some absolutely primo oils coming. Congratulations! Be aware that Khidr & Nuh are decidedly non-Western in character; they might take a little more getting used to than 3000 or Royale.

Good luck!

Thanks gents - I appreciate your advice. One day this coming week I expect to come home to find a small package.

OH - MAN - I'M - SO - JEALOUS - !!!
I just got some Agar Aura samples and started testing them and one swipe of the applicator wand in the sample vial across the back of my wrist was all it took. Within seconds I was consumed by the scent! And to think I ALMOST dropped the plunk on the same sample set...you got my trigger finger itching!

I partly rationalized the cost by thinking that compared to mechanical watches or nice cars, this is not all that expensive. Of course in spite of its great qualities, oud oil can't tell you the time of day or transport you and a few friends out to dinner in comfort, so maybe it's a rather meaningless comparison!

OH - MAN - I'M - SO - JEALOUS - !!!
I just got some Agar Aura samples and started testing them and one swipe of the applicator wand in the sample vial across the back of my wrist was all it took. Within seconds I was consumed by the scent! And to think I ALMOST dropped the plunk on the same sample set...you got my trigger finger itching!

I partly rationalized the cost by thinking that compared to mechanical watches or nice cars, this is not all that expensive. Of course in spite of its great qualities, oud oil can't tell you the time of day or transport you and a few friends out to dinner in comfort, so maybe it's a rather meaningless comparison!

Ah, but oud can​ transport you! It's just not physical, that's all. :w00t:

Looking at Agar Aura... how would you suggest I start? With the Mukhallats, the oils, or both?

The mukhallats are blended perfumes that use oud as a component, usually as a base note. They're oil-based blends. The other oils are just the ouds -- EOs -- themselves. So it depends on what you're looking for -- a blended scent, a pure oud, or both.

The mukhallats are blended perfumes that use oud as a component, usually as a base note. They're oil-based blends. The other oils are just the ouds -- EOs -- themselves. So it depends on what you're looking for -- a blended scent, a pure oud, or both.

Not quite sure yet as I have yet to experience Oud.

Not quite sure yet as I have yet to experience Oud.

In that case, just go w/the oud samples. Get to know those. That way, you'll be more apt to recognize it in a blend. As a side note, you'll also see that virtually every Western scent out there that has "oud" in the title really doesn't use any oud.

In that case, just go w/the oud samples. Get to know those. That way, you'll be more apt to recognize it in a blend. As a side note, you'll also see that virtually every Western scent out there that has "oud" in the title really doesn't use any oud.

Thanks.

Sounds like oud is a bit like sandalwood in that last regard, sadly.

Order samples. Check out Agar Aura, Oriscent, Oudimentary, & Oudhasi. Prepare yourself for some very funky, non-Western aromas. And kiss your wallet goodbye. :w00t:

What about something more available in the way of designer and niche fragrances? I mean, what you recommended are technically niche fragrances, but I'm thinking more along the lines of what's available at Lucky Scent, Perfumed Court, etc. Are there any "reference" frags out there featuring oud?

What about something more available in the way of designer and niche fragrances? I mean, what you recommended are technically niche fragrances, but I'm thinking more along the lines of what's available at Lucky Scent, Perfumed Court, etc. Are there any "reference" frags out there featuring oud?

As far as I can tell? No.

My experience has been that any Western frag -- niche or no -- that has "oud" in the title doesn't actually use real oud. The stuff is just waayyyyy too expensive & hard to obtain -- way more so than sandalwood.

There are 2 very niche frags that actually do use some real agarwood in them. I've smelled each of them but I can't really detect the oud. Nevertheless, if you'd like to check them out they are:

Oudh Lacquer from Liz Zorn (scroll down the page till you see it)
Oud Luban, a solid perfume from Aftelier

As an alternative, the mukhallats (blended perfumes containing oud) from Agar Aura really do have detectable oud in them, and plenty of it. They're also priced to match. Taha (the owner) is a very talented perfumer. He does offer samples of his wares; if you're truly interested, I'd strongly suggest buying some. His Idaina Dento is a huge favorite of mine, fwiw.

Good luck!

Top Bottom