Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Is the Omega brand soap Proraso in a different color tub?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VT USA
    Posts
    493
    Images
    2

    Default Is the Omega brand soap Proraso in a different color tub?

    Just wondering; the Omega is cheaper, but descriptions on many sellers' web sites are identical, so if it's just a re-pack of the Proraso...... :D

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    874

    Default

    In my eyes yes, Ive had both and the ingredients on both packages were Identical.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    There are members who swear its the same and members who swear its different, I have never tried the proraso in the green tub but I use the omega in the black tub as well as CO Bigelow cream and those two products are very similar. I will probably stick with omega over proraso b/c its less expensive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,066
    Images
    1

    Default

    I've tried the proraso cream and just got the omega shave soap. Its exactly the same and is re-branded. Also i've gotten better lather with the soap than the cream. I got mine Brand new for $7 with shipping and happy I got it!
    I Roll with a | Merkur: 1904 CC ~ HD & EJ: BChrome | Loaded w/ Red IP Blades!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Philly or Chicago, take your pick
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Yes, according to our resident Italian Soap guru, Marco. Kinda like the cream and Bigelow, same sort of deal.
    -- John Noble Knight of The Veg Table, Proud member of BOTOC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rome, ITALY
    Posts
    15,786
    Images
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    Yes, according to our resident Italian Soap guru, Marco. Kinda like the cream and Bigelow, same sort of deal.
    John, I was typing my answer right now, but you anticipated me!
    Marco, Old School Wet Shaver

    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum

    My Wiki

    "Because a real Gentleman shaves, every morning" (My grandfather)



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Philly or Chicago, take your pick
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Great minds think alike!

    By the way, I did my first attempt at a straight shave the other day. I did the Marco's Method, no vertical pumps to let any water out, using the Semogue 2000. I read that straight shavers like a little wetter lather. It was perfect!

    I find I like a little denser lather with the DE so I do one gentle vertical pump out of the brush for that. But Left all the water in for the straight. I have to bowl lather though, if I face lather my bathroom looks like the Fire Department came and foamed the place! Lather everywhere!

    I'll be using the Razorock again tomorrow.
    -- John Noble Knight of The Veg Table, Proud member of BOTOC

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    You can't go wrong with the Omega ... I just shaved with it last night and it was great!
    - Chris -

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VT USA
    Posts
    493
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Update: my soaps arrived from the UK and my samples of Proraso and Omega in 150g tubs are *very* different....the Proraso is firmer and has a much stronger menthol smell, while the Omega is softer in the tub and creamier on the face. Both give a very decent shave, similar in comfort and closeness to Cella, which is my only other serious reference (not including Williams as a "serious" soap yet since I can't make it work in a satisfying way).

    My take is that Omega is a better value and perhaps a slightly better shave, while Proraso is like an extra strength cough drop for your face.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VT USA
    Posts
    493
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    Yes, according to our resident Italian Soap guru, Marco. Kinda like the cream and Bigelow, same sort of deal.
    Just to clarify this whole thread; are you saying that the Proraso *cream* in a tube is the same as the Omega *soap* in a tub?

    Because I'm 100% certain that the two *tub soaps* are very different!
    21 and under, TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LEMS, BOTSS ...Can Grappa be used as aftershave?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    Just to clarify this whole thread; are you saying that the Proraso *cream* in a tube is the same as the Omega *soap* in a tub?

    Because I'm 100% certain that the two *tub soaps* are very different!
    The two *tub soaps* I had two years ago were Identical in texture, color, smell, feel, ingredients. The only difference I see in the two is omega tub comes in black and proraso tub comes in green.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    The two *tub soaps* I had two years ago were Identical in texture, color, smell, feel, ingredients. The only difference I see in the two is omega tub comes in black and proraso tub comes in green.
    They may have changed something since you got them 2 years ago as my experience is that they are similar but in no way identical. The obvious differences were that Omega is lighter in scent and has less menthol, the subjective differences in my testing was that Omega lathers easier and provides a slicker lather.

    No way these are identical unless I got a really old tub of Omega or a really fresh tub of Proraso.
    Garry's Sample Shop - Shaving Samples Galore!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaj90027 View Post
    They may have changed something since you got them 2 years ago as my experience is that they are similar but in no way identical. The obvious differences were that Omega is lighter in scent and has less menthol, the subjective differences in my testing was that Omega lathers easier and provides a slicker lather.

    No way these are identical unless I got a really old tub of Omega or a really fresh tub of Proraso.



    Maybe you did, or maybe they put different amounts of ingredients in the two. Mine were exactly the same, here is a pic of the back of an omega tub and heres the ingredients from the back of my proraso. Please check yours and see if they different.

    Proraso list stolen from WCS site but same on mine(was just easier copying and pasting) . INGREDIENTS: Water, Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sorium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Propylene Glycol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Methylparaben, Ethylpagaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, BHT

    Also I stole this pic to I couldnt get a clear shot, but it was same as mine too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3711338653_2abe14e675.jpg  
    Last edited by Hayden; 02-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    874

    Default

    edit

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Heres a list from 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails proraso-omega.jpg  

  16. #16

    Default

    Omega used to have Lanolin. Both perform almost identically now, difference minimal.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VT USA
    Posts
    493
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carloverfast2 View Post
    Both perform almost identically now, difference minimal.
    I have no idea what the situation in the past was but now the ingredient list is different between the two as well as soap odor, consistency and lathering characteristics (and the Omega has a foil seal too), the only "identical" things about them are the fact that they come in 150ml tubs and are Made in Italy! For those who debate the ultimate lather, these differences are anything but "minimal" ;)

    FYI, mine were both purchased at the same time from Connaught Shaving in the UK less than a month ago.

    I'll post pictures to confirm my observations when I get the time (on lunch right now, so it'll have to wait for tonight).
    21 and under, TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LEMS, BOTSS ...Can Grappa be used as aftershave?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Maybe you did, or maybe they put different amounts of ingredients in the two. Mine were exactly the same, here is a pic of the back of an omega tub and heres the ingredients from the back of my proraso. Please check yours and see if they different.

    Proraso list stolen from WCS site but same on mine(was just easier copying and pasting) . INGREDIENTS: Water, Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sorium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Propylene Glycol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Methylparaben, Ethylpagaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, BHT

    Also I stole this pic to I couldnt get a clear shot, but it was same as mine too.
    I didn't keep the Proraso as I much preferred the Omega.
    Garry's Sample Shop - Shaving Samples Galore!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
  3. Omega Shave Soap vs Proraso Green
    By Synack in forum Shaving Soaps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
  4. not sure what proraso/omega soap to get
    By randomtw in forum Shaving Soaps
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
  5. FT Proraso Soap and Omega Soap tubs
    By steveearlefan in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace- Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.