What's new

Is the Omega brand soap Proraso in a different color tub?

Just wondering; the Omega is cheaper, but descriptions on many sellers' web sites are identical, so if it's just a re-pack of the Proraso...... :D

There are members who swear its the same and members who swear its different, I have never tried the proraso in the green tub but I use the omega in the black tub as well as CO Bigelow cream and those two products are very similar. I will probably stick with omega over proraso b/c its less expensive.

I've tried the proraso cream and just got the omega shave soap. Its exactly the same and is re-branded. Also i've gotten better lather with the soap than the cream. I got mine Brand new for $7 with shipping and happy I got it!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yes, according to our resident Italian Soap guru, Marco. Kinda like the cream and Bigelow, same sort of deal.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Great minds think alike! :wink2:

By the way, I did my first attempt at a straight shave the other day. I did the Marco's Method, no vertical pumps to let any water out, using the Semogue 2000. I read that straight shavers like a little wetter lather. It was perfect!

I find I like a little denser lather with the DE so I do one gentle vertical pump out of the brush for that. But Left all the water in for the straight. I have to bowl lather though, if I face lather my bathroom looks like the Fire Department came and foamed the place! :lol: Lather everywhere!

I'll be using the Razorock again tomorrow.

Update: my soaps arrived from the UK and my samples of Proraso and Omega in 150g tubs are *very* different....the Proraso is firmer and has a much stronger menthol smell, while the Omega is softer in the tub and creamier on the face. Both give a very decent shave, similar in comfort and closeness to Cella, which is my only other serious reference (not including Williams as a "serious" soap yet since I can't make it work in a satisfying way).

My take is that Omega is a better value and perhaps a slightly better shave, while Proraso is like an extra strength cough drop for your face.

Yes, according to our resident Italian Soap guru, Marco. Kinda like the cream and Bigelow, same sort of deal.

Just to clarify this whole thread; are you saying that the Proraso *cream* in a tube is the same as the Omega *soap* in a tub?

Because I'm 100% certain that the two *tub soaps* are very different!

Just to clarify this whole thread; are you saying that the Proraso *cream* in a tube is the same as the Omega *soap* in a tub?

Because I'm 100% certain that the two *tub soaps* are very different!

The two *tub soaps* I had two years ago were Identical in texture, color, smell, feel, ingredients. The only difference I see in the two is omega tub comes in black and proraso tub comes in green.

The two *tub soaps* I had two years ago were Identical in texture, color, smell, feel, ingredients. The only difference I see in the two is omega tub comes in black and proraso tub comes in green.

They may have changed something since you got them 2 years ago as my experience is that they are similar but in no way identical. The obvious differences were that Omega is lighter in scent and has less menthol, the subjective differences in my testing was that Omega lathers easier and provides a slicker lather.

No way these are identical unless I got a really old tub of Omega or a really fresh tub of Proraso.

They may have changed something since you got them 2 years ago as my experience is that they are similar but in no way identical. The obvious differences were that Omega is lighter in scent and has less menthol, the subjective differences in my testing was that Omega lathers easier and provides a slicker lather.

No way these are identical unless I got a really old tub of Omega or a really fresh tub of Proraso.

Maybe you did, or maybe they put different amounts of ingredients in the two. Mine were exactly the same, here is a pic of the back of an omega tub and heres the ingredients from the back of my proraso. Please check yours and see if they different.

Proraso list stolen from WCS site but same on mine(was just easier copying and pasting) . INGREDIENTS: Water, Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sorium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Propylene Glycol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Methylparaben, Ethylpagaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, BHT

Also I stole this pic to I couldnt get a clear shot, but it was same as mine too.

Attachments

• $3711338653_2abe14e675.jpg
    $3711338653_2abe14e675.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Both perform almost identically now, difference minimal.

I have no idea what the situation in the past was but now the ingredient list is different between the two as well as soap odor, consistency and lathering characteristics (and the Omega has a foil seal too), the only "identical" things about them are the fact that they come in 150ml tubs and are Made in Italy! For those who debate the ultimate lather, these differences are anything but "minimal" ;)

FYI, mine were both purchased at the same time from Connaught Shaving in the UK less than a month ago.

I'll post pictures to confirm my observations when I get the time (on lunch right now, so it'll have to wait for tonight).

Maybe you did, or maybe they put different amounts of ingredients in the two. Mine were exactly the same, here is a pic of the back of an omega tub and heres the ingredients from the back of my proraso. Please check yours and see if they different.

Proraso list stolen from WCS site but same on mine(was just easier copying and pasting) . INGREDIENTS: Water, Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sorium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Propylene Glycol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Methylparaben, Ethylpagaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, BHT

Also I stole this pic to I couldnt get a clear shot, but it was same as mine too.

I didn't keep the Proraso as I much preferred the Omega.

Top Bottom