What's new

a little experiment

This is t9064 titanium.... I am gonna try this insert in my homemade frameback... It is incredibly hard.. White Sparks off the grinder... When heat treated it will go up to 80hrc... Oughta be fun to hone....Lol... More of this story to come...

proxy.php

Right now it is in its annealed state.... Which is pretty dang hard but no where near 80...

I'm gonna see how it hones as is... Then maybe play with heat treat... I have 6 blades now and enough material for 200 more....

Paco Titanium DE Blades 5 pack for $200? Please don't over-glue the wax paper. :cursing:

:lol:....

well... removed the old blade insert i had made and inserted... it was rusted something fierce up where it fit in the frameback.... and i inserted the new titanium insert...

proxy.php

now to get back home and put it to a hone........ this oughta be fun...

What was the blade before? What is it? Very neat. Lolks cool!

a piece of t9064 titanium plate .032" ... read quite a bit about it and i am 94.3% sure it will work in this application.....

but i still have that 5.7% escape route...

>This is t9064 titanium....

What else is in this Ti alloy? I assume you are heat treating into the alpha-beta phase for hardness? I am curious as to why you chose this alloy, and how you specifically plan to treat it.

>This is t9064 titanium....

What else is in this Ti alloy? I assume you are heat treating into the alpha-beta phase for hardness? I am curious as to why you chose this alloy, and how you specifically plan to treat it.

i chose it because it was what we had on hand at the airport.....:001_tt2: ...

i haven't decided on a method of HT'ing it yet cause the frame back is having issues.....

this experiment is on hold for a bit.....

I'm not 100% sure, but I think t9064 is the same thing ans 6/4 titanium. I suspect that 9064 is 90% Ti, 6% Aluminum, 4% Vanadium, which is the same as 6/4 titanium.

Again, not 100% on that, as google didn't pull anything up specific to Paco's alloy.

i am sorry fellas .... dyslexia got the best of me.... it is T-9046 titanium..... i do that on occasion... transposing numbers.....

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Technical Data
Ti-3Al-2.5V (Grade 9)
Primarily a tubing alloy, it is used in aircraft hydraulic systems and sports and recreational products. Available in 2 conditions, annealed and cold worked stress relieved, it combines moderate strength with good cold formability.​
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Chemistry Limits (%)[/FONT]​
|-
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Al[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2.50 - 3.50[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]V[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2.00 - 3.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]O[SUB]2[/SUB] Max[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.12[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Fe Max[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.30[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]H[SUB]2[/SUB] Max[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.015[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]C Max[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.05[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]N[SUB]2[/SUB] Max[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.02[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Mechanical Properties[/FONT]​
|-
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Annealed Condition[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Cold Worked and Stress Relieved[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ultimate Tensile Strength - ksi[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]90[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]125[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Yield Strength - ksi[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]70[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]105[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Elongation %[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]15[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]10[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Physical Properties[/FONT]​
|-
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Density (lbs/in[SUP]3[/SUP])[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]0.162[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Elastic Modulus (x10[SUP]6[/SUP] psi)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]14.5[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Beta Transus Temp ([SUP]o[/SUP]F)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]1715[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Weldability[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Good[/FONT]

this experiment is on hold for a bit.....

Please keep us updated. I have some Ti coils and was always curious as to whether I could heat treat them to make them workable, and then re-heat treat to reharden them.

I'm afraid that heat treating will soften it from really, really, really hard....to just really, really hard.

Top Bottom