What's new

Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I used my new CF Cedar cream for the first time today. This is my first-ever venture into the world of CF, so these are preliminary remarks, not a 'review'.

I used what I thought was a small amount of cream. I was wrong. It lathered up something fierce, and I had lots left over!

The scent is basically cedar rather than sandalwood. I will leave it for those with more refined noses than me to elaborate on that, but it smelled like cedar to me (which is good ... I wanted cedar!) It seemed to be on the "dry, woody" side, scent-wise, and not jazzed up with other scents thrown in (they did not do to cedar what TOBS and Vulfix did to sandalwood for example ... not that one is 'better' than the other, just different approaches and you should know what to expect.)

As for the shave, it went well. I shaved with my Feather AC, and used a new Proguard blade without problem.

I just wanted to throw these comments out there, so that other people who have this cream can add their thoughts. This is a new addition to the CF lineup, so any info and opinions would likely be welcome.

Thanks for posting this Ian... I've been really interested in this cream since it came out. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting close. I've also heard good things from Don (Taz) about it too.

I don't have this scent yet, but I do have the other two scents. This stuff may cost quite a bit, but I've found that I only have to use about 1/2 the amount for every shave. It seems more like a soap than a cream to me (like Cella or Valobra), and they've both been really good so far.

CF Lime seems to have a bit more of a "kick" in the scent dept. CF Lavender is much more subtle. I think my Tobs lavender is stronger scented.

Hi Ian. My experience echo's Joshua's. CF is the best cream I have used. Period. It may not suit everyone but my experience has been consistent right down the line. The lavender treats my hide as well or better than any other lather and it is slowly but surely the only remaining cream in my rotation. When my other brands are gone, they will only be filled with niche type creams, ie; English Fern, C&S #88 etc. I am quite happy to see that the cedar predominated. I love the scent of cedar. This one is on the buy list. BTW, my experience has also been that something like 1/4 tsp. is enough to make mounds of lather. One of the super brushes like my new SR 3824 made ridiculous amounts of lather with it.

Regards, Todd

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This only applies if you've used QED's Texas Cedarwood Skin Conditioner, but if so, how do the two compare scentwise?

I don't have it, so I can't say ... but I'm a fan of cedar so the next time I order from Charles ...

Of the current CF offerings this and the Limes are the ones I'm interested in. There is something about lavender my skin doesn't like. As soon as i have more funds i'm gonna jump on the bandwagon.

I have both the CF cream and the QED Texas Cedarwood balm. To me, the scents are quite similar. I like them both.

Dave.

For some reason a shaving shop in Glasgow, Scotland had received the CF Cedar shaving soap before others.

I picked a bowl up when I was in Glasgow and imediately liked the scent.
Sandalwood is available in many variations, but cedar was something new.
The bowl may be more expensive than most other soaps, but as you already pointed out, you don't need much soap to whip up a decent lather.

Unfortunately, the cedar shaving balm was sold out, or I would have picked that one up as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I wanted to smell like cedar, I'd shave in my closet.

:lol: :whistling:

Not at your comment, but at all the witty responses I thought of and realised were too risque for public consumption!

Top Bottom