4/8's

Do you use/like your 4/8?

• I like mine and use it regularly

• It’s in the rotation but it’s just one of many that are larger

• Bah, don’t like em

• Don’t know? Never owned one.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sure those > than 4/8 razors look & shave great – but where is the 4/8 love?

I have grown kind of fond of my little 4/8. So much so, I just bought another; a Boker Extra Hollow Ground from Jerrod over at TSS.

What about you guys? Do you like them? Tell me why you do, and post a picture.
Couldn’t care less for them? Tell me why you don’t, and post a picture of those you got rid of lol.

I have two 4/8. One is a Simmon's, and the other is just labeled "Wedge". I enjoy using them as much as my 8/8 razors, and everything in between. Here is a picture of my Simmons. Sorry, I don't have any pics of the "Wedge". $Simmons1.jpg

I've tried seven and kept four (no longer have a Griffon XX, Union Cutlery Spike and a Case Blue Steel, or pics of them).
They're light and precise.
My rotation consists of razors 4/8 to 7/8 and is by whim, so they see occasional use.
Top to bottom: DePew's Perfect razor, Heljestrand MK 24, Dubl Duck Dwarf, Original Schulze. The Depew doesn't see much use. It's really small.

$P1000718.jpg

$P1000715.jpg

$P1000716.jpg

$P1000717.jpg

they are great, nimble and very easy to use. when i use my larger blades i keep one handy for under the nose usually a shorty. here's a pic of my boker's baby a favorite at 9/16" it's only 4 &1/8" long closed if memory serves. the smallest factory length razor i own. the cutting edge is 2 &1/4".

Attachments

• $Picture 200.jpg
    $Picture 200.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
The baby of my small assembly of alleged NAZI razors:

$002.jpg

Most razors that size or smaller are pretty blah in dealing with my beard, but that one shaves with surgical precision. It's a real treat.

I have only used mine twice (today and yesterday). So far so good, a little harder to get the angle right though. Will vote when I have more experience.

4/8 is fine, harder to hone easier to use than a 5/8 razor for me. 3/8 is getting small for both use and honing. 5/8 is nice, bigger feels huge to me but I don't own much bigger. I want to try a 2/8 razor.

Phil

I've only the one which is a Dovo best and as rotation would have it, I shaved with it earlier today: and as always, it delivers a grey shave. Squeaky clean : )

Oops, I'm lying, I've an old unnamed Sheffield that does the business too.

Last edited:
the smallest blade i shave with anymore is a 11/16ths..... my regular shavers are all 8/8ths +++

not fond of tiny razors...

I've only got one little blade. From what I gather it's Solingen and possibly an Ed. Wusthof, stamped Alexadrie. It's a lovely shaver though it took me a while to get used to stropping it, it's around half hollow and stropping feedback is minimal to say the least. Once I got the hang of it it's a joy to shave with. I have heard people say you have to wipe the lather more often but haven't found this an issue, but maybe I just have crappy lather.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's a nice match for my coticule which is also titchy.

I have two 4/8. One is a Simmon's, and the other is just labeled "Wedge". I enjoy using them as much as my 8/8 razors, and everything in between. Here is a picture of my Simmons. Sorry, I don't have any pics of the "Wedge".View attachment 218072

I liked the look of that Simmons so much I went out and won this on the bay just now - It's going to take some work though lol... sigh.
$$(KGrHqF,!hcE7VBoJS9zBPJM(qv31w~~60_3.jpg$$(KGrHqV,!hkE7SwOJqIIBPJM(ym1Hw~~60_3.jpg
Who knows who made this thing though! Have never heard of Chatillion before -you?

I liked the look of that Simmons so much I went out and won this on the bay just now - It's going to take some work though lol... sigh.
View attachment 218301View attachment 218302
Who knows who made this thing though! Have never heard of Chatillion before -you?

I've never heard of them before. Looks great though. Not much clean up necessary to me. I had never heard of Simmons before I got mine. I too a chance because I really liked the way it looked. It is a great shaver.

It's a german razor in what looks like bone scales. Hard to tell by the picture but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Nice score.
Imported and rebranded for sale in the US by:

John Chatillon
New York City
1835 to 1937 (for razors)

It's a german razor in what looks like bone scales. Hard to tell by the picture but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Nice score.
Imported and rebranded for sale in the US by:

John Chatillon
New York City
1835 to 1937 (for razors)
Wow - thanks Greybeard! Where you get all your info from I'll never know - but your sure seem to be B&B's "go to" guy when it comes to identifying straights!

Now that I see tomjr's Boker :drool: - I got to get back on the Bay lol. You really have to take a photo of that with something for scale. I would never believe the dimensions by looking at that photo lol!

Last edited:
Nice thread, I've been curious about this myself. A few months ago, while a in France, a barber cut my hair using something like a 3/8. So I have been wondering, would 3/8s have been intended for hair-cutting, with 4/8s being the bridge between hair-cutting and face-shaving?

Top Bottom