4/8's

Do you use/like your 4/8?

• I like mine and use it regularly

• It’s in the rotation but it’s just one of many that are larger

• Bah, don’t like em

• Don’t know? Never owned one.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nice thread, I've been curious about this myself. A few months ago, while a in France, a barber cut my hair using something like a 3/8. So I have been wondering, would 3/8s have been intended for hair-cutting, with 4/8s being the bridge between hair-cutting and face-shaving?
Hair-Cutting!?! I thought when you first typed that you ment shaving... That's really cool but I just can't see it in my minds eye. Did he use it to thin your hair? Very interested!

Hair-Cutting!?! I thought when you first typed that you ment shaving... That's really cool but I just can't see it in my minds eye. Did he use it to thin your hair? Very interested!

Find a barber in your area who can give you a "razor cut". They will most likely pull out a shavette, but the effect is the same. It's far superior to a clipper or scissor cut. The ends of your hair end up being cut at an angle. Feels great.

Find a barber in your area who can give you a "razor cut". They will most likely pull out a shavette, but the effect is the same. It's far superior to a clipper or scissor cut. The ends of your hair end up being cut at an angle. Feels great.

Sounds awesome.

I had to pick other. I own one with a nice shiny blade, but I need to hone it and the scales are broken needing a rescale job. Therefore, I've never used it. Looking forward to getting it fixed up and using it. I think it may be just the thing for under the nose -- or for actually getting a non-ugly pencil thin moustache this coming Movember!

No thinning, he whipped out a tension-mounted strop with black paste, ran the razor on it for one or two laps, and then cut my hair with it. It was some sort of heavily used 3/8 or 4/8 Solingen with broken, cracked plastic scales. And like Nobody said, far superior to a scissor-cut. Cost me 13 euros total, plus pourboire. Got me thinking about those 3/8s and 4/8s, but I think that the trick is to have longish hair from the start...

Last edited:
Well that's really cool. I have never had my hair cut like that... I do recall however when I got my hair cut the last time I was in France, the young lady had no problem rubbing her body on mine all the while saying my hair was as fine as a babies lol. I'll never forget that haircut - for a few reasons lol.

Well that's really cool. I have never had my hair cut like that... I do recall however when I got my hair cut the last time I was in France, the young lady had no problem rubbing her body on mine all the while saying my hair was as fine as a babies lol. I'll never forget that haircut - for a few reasons lol.

Sounds like yours was the more stimulating experience! Was it in the 10th arrondissement of Paris by chance? ;-)

Last edited:
My favourite is the fili, I often use it to introduce str8 shaving to friends. The two tortoise Mk29 are tiny and so light ! The last 4 have to be restored, pair of d-ducks styledge and 2 french razors.

$photo.jpg

Last edited:
There's a lot to love about 4/8" straights. First off, they work great for me. Yes, you have to get the angle right but for me it helps me remember how important it is to get the angle right and makes me a better shaver.

Second, some people have "SPS" and have to have a great big razor and drive a big truck (PM me if you can't figure out what SPS means....grin) and this drives down the price of 4/8" and below razors making some great deals available for those of us that don't suffer from SPS.

John

There's a lot to love about 4/8" straights. First off, they work great for me. Yes, you have to get the angle right but for me it helps me remember how important it is to get the angle right and makes me a better shaver.

Second, some people have "SPS" and have to have a great big razor and drive a big truck (PM me if you can't figure out what SPS means....grin) and this drives down the price of 4/8" and below razors making some great deals available for those of us that don't suffer from SPS.

John
Is the first word small and the last syndrome lol? Yeah I think I got it lol!

It is true that 4/8's are seemingly less desirable - just look at the poll. I am kind of glad for the very reason you state; they are cheaper and you can get some great ones on the Bay that people don't bid on. But I am not sure that it is SPS. They kind of are harder to use I think. But then I think the rewards may be better too ... ah but then BBS is BBS.

I'll say this - I used that new Boker I just bought tonight and man, what a shave!! This razor is a keeper! If you like your 4/8's, you got to hit Jerrod or whoever up and get one. It's the "Extra" Hollow ground - not the tree brand I have seen around as well. I thought that the Extra was hype, but just looking at it, one can see that the last 1/8" on the edge is darn near flat! I don't know how to explain it, but it's a completely different shave over my Dovo 4/8. This one is staying in the rotation.

Anyway - thanks for posting gents - I have to admit that those 7/8's and larger look great, but man do my little 4/8's shave me well!

I own a couple 4/8's but they haven't made it into my rotation, and likely won't. I just can't get a feel for them, and my go to blades are either 5/8 or 6/8's. I had the 4/8's listed in B/S/T but no nibbles on 'em. Any thoughts on what vintage 4/8's ought to be going for in reasonable user grade condition?

I own a couple 4/8's but they haven't made it into my rotation, and likely won't. I just can't get a feel for them, and my go to blades are either 5/8 or 6/8's. I had the 4/8's listed in B/S/T but no nibbles on 'em. Any thoughts on what vintage 4/8's ought to be going for in reasonable user grade condition?
Tough call without seeing them. New ones are cheap to start off with, so it's not something you are going to make big bucks on. If I spend more than $30 on ebay for a vintage - there had better be a good reason.

Shoot over a pick. I need one more for a 7 day set.

Tough call without seeing them. New ones are cheap to start off with, so it's not something you are going to make big bucks on. If I spend more than $30 on ebay for a vintage - there had better be a good reason.

Shoot over a pick. I need one more for a 7 day set.

PM sent. Not looking to make big bucks really, more trying to make room and not loose too much money on the deal.

PM sent. Not looking to make big bucks really, more trying to make room and not loose too much money on the deal.

Oh man - Spanish points! Those scare me lol! I named myself earcutter for a reason - and that was with round lol! Hey why don't you post on the forum asking to get a value? Make sure you get a close-up of the markings.

I am going to have to think about those - I have never used a Spanish point. Kind of spooked lol - but they are nice looking razors if you ask me.

I dunno, square/spike points never really scared me David, I just have to be extra careful around the ear. Got myself good last week, blood halfway down my neck from one of my square point Kropp's. As you suggested tho',

$CanisiusHistGrad Razors03.jpg$CanisiusHistGrad Razors04.jpg

if anyone would be kind enough to give me a rough value, I'd appreciate it. Tang on the far left reads Shumate's Barber Deluxe -- Shumate Razor Co, St. Louis, MO. Mid reads Silver Steel -- Friedr. Wilh. Engels Grafrath Solingen. Far right reads Shumate's Tungsten -- Shumate Razor Co, St. Louis U.S.A.

Another update and bump for HistGrad's razors.

I got that "razor cut" today! I think I shocked my hairdresser when I asked. "There is only one other fellow that ever asks for that but yeah, with your hair that might work."

It did feel great and she did pull out a "shavette" of types - a Feather! I was shocked! So I used an Italian cream/AS and a German Boker on my face today - then she used a Japanese razor on my head - all in America's "heartland." It was a great experience.

Top Bottom