What's new

Cut Throat Razor

I have been seeing the term used on ebay a lot. That tells me that the seller isn't involved with straight shaving at all and is just using a "catch phrase" to attract attention.

Pete <:-}

Not fond of the term. Makes the art of using a fine blade seem primitive. Most people I have talked to about shaving understand the name straight razor. Now DE razor needs a little more explanation.

I always refer to it as "Old School" shaving when someone asked me and I love when they complain about the high cost of cart razors.

Cartridges are only expensive if you go to a normal drugstore and buy the latest ones. Trac-II is not expensive. Straight shaving is way more costly in time and money than Trac-II. It is not even close. 20 cent Trac-II cartridges and 5 minutes per shave vs $120 knife, $85 stone, and 20 minutes per shave and lots of time stropping and honing. It would take 1000 shaves to break even. So straight shaving has benefits, but cost savings is not one of them.

"Straight edge" does not imply Shavette in my mind.

BTW, what can I call a disposable straight razor if I don't want to use the term Shavette? Shavette is too feminine a name and it is a Trademark anyway, so what is the generic version of it? I don't want to call it a straight razor as that is not fair to the people who use the kind that requires lots of blade-prep work.

I hope to at least non-enthusiasts I can just call it a straight razor, and if they know enough to ask what kind, I can say the kind that takes disposable half blades.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
KJ provided a pretty gosh-darn good discussion here as the opening post of the SABRE group. He talks about various other names used for shavettes as well.

It reminds me of the term "murdercycle" or "crotch rocket" or "rice burner" or other, intentionally, derogatory comment about motorcycling.

Guys, cutting someone's throat with the razor would totally ruin the edge. What a waste of time honing the blade..

Edit: Do you strop before or after the cut?

Last edited:
Cartridges are only expensive if you go to a normal drugstore and buy the latest ones. Trac-II is not expensive. Straight shaving is way more costly in time and money than Trac-II. It is not even close. 20 cent Trac-II cartridges and 5 minutes per shave vs $120 knife, $85 stone, and 20 minutes per shave and lots of time stropping and honing. It would take 1000 shaves to break even. So straight shaving has benefits, but cost savings is not one of them.

If I had a $25.00 GD and sharpened it on the stones that I use to maintain my knives, I could get 50+ years of pretty inexpensive shaves. But, that would make me 107 at that milestone. But, I have to admit that the economics was never the deciding factor for me to go back to the DE or to take up the straight. Taking a piece of steel that I have honed to my face and getting a far superior shave to any M3 or TracXXX I ever used is really my fascination. I'm sorry but, if I was going to use a blade that a factory sharpened, I would have just stuck with the DE. At $0.10/blade, that still out performs any TracXXX I ever used in the quality of the shave, and in the economic category.

Even the "discount" places like "Harry's" will be more expensive than a DE razor and, amortized over the life of the blade, a Straight Razor, too. As for the time factor, yes, it does take a little longer for some. But that is part of the ritual. Some of us do not see shaving as a chore "to get over and done with".

If I had a $25.00 GD and sharpened it on the stones that I use to maintain my knives, I could get 50+ years of pretty inexpensive shaves. But, that would make me 107 at that milestone. But, I have to admit that the economics was never the deciding factor for me to go back to the DE or to take up the straight. Taking a piece of steel that I have honed to my face and getting a far superior shave to any M3 or TracXXX I ever used is really my fascination. I'm sorry but, if I was going to use a blade that a factory sharpened, I would have just stuck with the DE. At $0.10/blade, that still out performs any TracXXX I ever used in the quality of the shave, and in the economic category.

Yup. Works out even cheaper if you keep the blade for 4+ shaves like some of us cheapskates.

Last edited:
Even the "discount" places like "Harry's" will be more expensive than a DE razor and, amortized over the life of the blade, a Straight Razor, too. As for the time factor, yes, it does take a little longer for some. But that is part of the ritual. Some of us do not see shaving as a chore "to get over and done with".

I am now 73 shaves in with a straight, and I have shaved pretty much both days on every weekend since I started. Not every one, but most. When I shaved with a cartridge, the only time I shaved on the weekend was for funerals or weddings, and I was not happy about that. Now I wish I could justify two-a-days, but my beard just will not grow that fast.

I am now 73 shaves in with a straight, and I have shaved pretty much both days on every weekend since I started. Not every one, but most. When I shaved with a cartridge, the only time I shaved on the weekend was for funerals or weddings, and I was not happy about that. Now I wish I could justify two-a-days, but my beard just will not grow that fast.

Yeah guys, but come on.. I know my SRAD isn't as advanced as some, but I've still spent, let's see.. probably about 700 bucks on razors and strops. - oh wait, I bought film and stones.... hmmm.. let's call it an even grand.. I'm not even gonna count soaps because I wouldn't use them with a cart. Harry's is two bucks a cart. Using round numbers I will have to immediately go on a gentlemanly restriant sabbatical for *10 YEARS* and *never buy another razor, strop, stone, film, nothing.....* for this to be cheaper than Harry's.. And with a cart I shave in the shower using my shampoo like a barbarian... I don't have to buy soaps or goo..... hmmm... So now I have to factor in the fact that I'm probably going to be snagging the odd tub of proraso, mwf, and stroppe shoppe SE soap in there... I could sacrifice and use Arko, but what fun would that be...

Let's get real guys. You *can* be cheaper than Harry's, but most of us are *not*.. and we don't *want* to be. and if you do the math
it's actually probably pretty hard - especially if money has any value over time...

Yeah guys, but come on.. I know my SRAD isn't as advanced as some, but I've still spent, let's see.. probably about 700 bucks on razors and strops. - oh wait, I bought film and stones.... hmmm.. let's call it an even grand.. I'm not even gonna count soaps because I wouldn't use them with a cart. Harry's is two bucks a cart. Using round numbers I will have to immediately go on a gentlemanly restriant sabbatical for *10 YEARS* and *never buy another razor, strop, stone, film, nothing.....* for this to be cheaper than Harry's.. And with a cart I shave in the shower using my shampoo like a barbarian... I don't have to buy soaps or goo..... hmmm... So now I have to factor in the fact that I'm probably going to be snagging the odd tub of proraso, mwf, and stroppe shoppe SE soap in there... I could sacrifice and use Arko, but what fun would that be...

Let's get real guys. You *can* be cheaper than Harry's, but most of us are *not*.. and we don't *want* to be. and if you do the math
it's actually probably pretty hard - especially if money has any value over time...

All true.
But....you could recoup a hefty percentage of that hardware cost by selling the stuff on.
Ain't nobody gonna buy your used carts or disposables....

Top Bottom