What's new

Finally found a full Monobloc set

I had given up on ever finding a case for the (probably) only French made Gillette DE razor. In fact I had recently sold my Monobloc razor after holding onto it for a year & a half while looking for the quite rare yellow case (also manufactured in France). And then I experienced an encounter with a dose of good fortune & was able to round out my Rocket/Monobloc sets.

What a pretty set it makes -- in its classy case. Wonder why they made so few and why most of the French Gillettes were imported from England. Did LaResche and LeCoq somehow keep Gillette out?

In any case, I am happy to have finally acquired this French beauty.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not sure that these are actually the correct blades for the set, but they are French Gillette blades.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not a "holy grail" razor like the double ring or Darwin Deluxe, but a great & colorful addition to my collection nonetheless.

Truly the advertisement shows a different set of blades, but I'm still going with the pack of Bleues in my set, even though they may not have been in production back in the late 1950s. But thanks for pointing that out Alex.

Yep, I know what you mean Tom. They are so hard to come by and when they appear -- as if by magic -- we strike... But you've certainly got your share of magical pieces already.

Congrats on your good fortune. Collectors like you are preserving some history that in just a few years would probably have been gone forever.

Nice set, why are they so rare compared to Rockets and SuperSpeeds?

So few made & so few still in circulation. Note how many you see on this or other shaving forums or listed on Ebay or other vintage sales sites. I wonder if we can find a production number for these razors. They were definitely only made that one year: 1957. Compared to Rockets & SS models that were made for several years and had much wider distribution. Probably very few were made that year. And they've held up pretty well when they do appear.

I had to look high and low for many moons before finding this one. Unlike Jake's beauty mine was homeless so it must rest on this Feather bed.

attachment.php

Yep, I'm thinking I have a better chance of picking up a bottom dial then I do a monobloc and I got a better chance of winning the lotto then picking up a bottom dial. I just love that yellow case.

-jim

Top Bottom