What's new

Drink of the Month - February 2012 - Cragganmore 12yr Single Malt

Welcome to The B&B Speakeasy Drink of the Month for February 2012!!

Considering the number of scotch lovers and scotch novices in our midst, we've chosen a classic Speyside in Cragganmore 12 year.

Founded in 1869, Cragganmore Distillery uses unique stout, "flat" topped stills and condenses in old-time wooden worm tubs, then ages in bourbon casks to create a complex array in the nose and mouth of its standard expression.

Cragganmore 12 is appreciated by many experienced scotch drinkers for its steadiness. On the lighter side of medium, there isn't one flavor profile that jumps up and pops you in the gob, but Cragganmore does well in giving a moderated complexity. It's pleasant and polite, yet still manages a proper finish. It's
a nice single malt to try early on in one's scotch journey, and it's a dram that a good lot of us scotch drinkers enjoy coming back to from time to time.

If you haven't tried it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you have tried it, maybe it's a good time to revisit!

Personally, I don't keep a bottle in my cabinet. However, when I drink it I always wonder why I don't keep a bottle around. This is one that seems to open up with a little touch of water, say six or eight drops. I get hints of vanilla-oak and grass on the nose. Sweet and very mild peat with spice in the mouth, and a wisp of smoke followed by dried fruit for the finish. I really like that it's busy but not hectic.

So, fellow B&B Speakeasy friends, what are your thoughts on Cragganmore 12 year?

Attachments

• $Cragganmore.jpg
    $Cragganmore.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 99
It's funny you picked this Scotch. I had it for the first time last weekend. I saw the bottle sitting at the bar of a local establishment. I thought it has a light to medium body with a pleasant smoky taste. The nose was very pleasant.

I then went to a local liquor store and discovered that it cost around $50 there and the local establishment charged me $18 for 2 ounces!

Last edited:
It's funny you picked this Scotch. I had it for the first time last weekend. I saw the bottle sitting at the bar of a local establishment. I thought it has a light to medium body with a pleasant smoky taste. The nose was very pleasant.

I then went to a local liquor store and discovered that it cost around $50 there and the local establishment charged me $18 for 2 ounces!

This is really why I can't get in to scotch. Beer is just more friendly to my wallet. I don't come in contact with many scotch drinkers either...unfortunately. I'd love to try some of these offerings.

This is really why I can't get in to scotch. Beer is just more friendly to my wallet. I don't come in contact with many scotch drinkers either...unfortunately. I'd love to try some of these offerings.

Good point. The beer I drink typically costs around $1.55 per beer if bought in six packs. The scotch I drink runs between $4.25 and $4.75 per 2oz pour. However, when I'm drinking beer I almost always have two. When I drink scotch, I usually slowly enjoy just one dram, so the price difference isn't quite as bad as it appears.

Have you thought about dabbling in bourbon? There are lots of drinkable bourbons out there that would come in at $1.75 to $2.50 per 2oz pour.

I think the real problem is that I'm, what we call in the craft beer world, a ticker. I want to try as many different *insert product here* I can before I stop using said product altogether (which could be any day). Whiskey doesn't come in sample size bottles as far as I know. I'm not big on going to bars for pours only either.

I get in to something...and I want all in. I'd love to buy a gaiwan and start sampling teas. I'd love to get a pipe and start sampling tobaccos. But I know I'll spend way too much on them...so I don't. lol Anyway, I digress...I'll let you guys speak on scotch.

Decant me a dram or 2 (of course I'm only half-serious). Can't say as I've ever had Cragganmore. How peaty is it? As much as Highland Park?

I have gotten to where I can barely tolerate any peat taste. I bounce between Macallan and Balvenie currently, but looking for some other goodies to round out the "rotation".

Thanks for the notes!

Decant me a dram or 2 (of course I'm only half-serious). Can't say as I've ever had Cragganmore. How peaty is it? As much as Highland Park?

I have gotten to where I can barely tolerate any peat taste. I bounce between Macallan and Balvenie currently, but looking for some other goodies to round out the "rotation".

Thanks for the notes!

I drink mostly HP12 and Lagavulin in the winter. I would say it's definitely not as peaty as HP12 (and obviously WAY less peaty than Lagavulin). I don't get much, if any, peat out of Macallan's and Balvenie's standard bottlings, so I guess there's more peat than those two, but it's not much.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just go into a liquor store and buy a half pint of whatever single malt you wanted to try?

I drink mostly HP12 and Lagavulin in the winter. I would say it's definitely not as peaty as HP12 (and obviously WAY less peaty than Lagavulin). I don't get much, if any, peat out of Macallan's and Balvenie's standard bottlings, so I guess there's more peat than those two, but it's not much.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just go into a liquor store and buy a half pint of whatever single malt you wanted to try?

At liquor store prices? Heck yeah! I think the most peaty scotch that I like is Oban. After all the rave reviews I heard about "HP" I tried to like it but "no can do". Dalwhinnie has been pretty good too, but Macallan and Balvenie Doublewood are SMOOTH for the price point.

Next time you're in PDX let me know. Not much call for Highland Park in my neck of the woods.

Scotch - now THAT is my homework. I need to study ;)~

At liquor store prices? Heck yeah! I think the most peaty scotch that I like is Oban. After all the rave reviews I heard about "HP" I tried to like it but "no can do". Dalwhinnie has been pretty good too, but Macallan and Balvenie Doublewood are SMOOTH for the price point.

Next time you're in PDX let me know. Not much call for Highland Park in my neck of the woods.

Scotch - now THAT is my homework. I need to study ;)~

Found this graphic that maps out the predominant flavors. It looks pretty accurate. I think United Distillers put this together to show how their "Classic Malt" collection maps out in terms of flavors. They put Cragganmore and Oban pretty close together there. It's been awhile since I've had Oban, though, so I can't comment from fresh experience.

Attachments

• $bqs_rou_sha.jpg
    $bqs_rou_sha.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 75
Very nice graphic. All those green dots at the top are nasty to me. I gravitate just to the right and down from center but I like to change it up every now and then. Thanks for this - I've bookmarked the page :biggrin1:

I don't mind Cragganmore but it's a bit on the light side for me. The "vanilla-oak and grass" description is exactly what I got, but I don't recall any peat notes. In response to a question above, it is nowhere near as rich or smoky as Highland Park, and Lagavulin is in a totally different genre! In my opinion of course.

I believe something like Cragganmore should be what you give someone as their first foray into single malts, instead of the usual Glenfiddich etc. The Cragganmore is light and easy to drink, but has a few different notes that are easily identified. As has already been said, a few drops of water helps this one open up.

Hey, I'm not a cunnoiser like you all but this Cragganmore is alright. Nosed pretty good, first sips remind me of Oban. I still prefer Macallan (especially 18!) but Cragganmore definitely makes it "into the rotation". :biggrin1:

Hey, I'm not a cunnoiser like you all but this Cragganmore is alright. Nosed pretty good, first sips remind me of Oban. I still prefer Macallan (especially 18!) but Cragganmore definitely makes it "into the rotation". :biggrin1:

Glad to hear it. :thumbup1:

Yeah, Macallan 18 is in a different league altogether, but Cragganmore is a classic and if I had a bigger wallet and a larger liquor cabinet I'd always have a bottle around just for a change up dram.

I'm not normally a highland guy, but Cragganmore is one of the few I like. It's a quality malt. One of the most aromatic malts you can purchase.

Have you thought about dabbling in bourbon? There are lots of drinkable bourbons out there that would come in at $1.75 to $2.50 per 2oz pour.
Mmmm....

Cut my teeth on "Beam's Choice" back in high school when my buddy and I would sneak shots from his dad's stash. These were the cool old bottles with hunting scenes painted on them. My first drink was from the bottle with the black Labrador on it.

Spent the next too many years "settling" for the usual cheapies and not knowing the difference between Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch (always thought they were all Whiskey).
A few months ago, I discovered Maker's Mark. Wow... that stuff is SMOOTH.
Best thing is... SWMBO thinks it tastes like gasoline so I know I'll be the only one drinking it!

Glad to see the SOTM back up and running! Thanks Jonathan!

Anyway, on to the Cragganmore. Picked up a bottle today. I'm quite impressed. Here are my notes:

Color: A nice deep gold. A bit darker than many other scotches.
Aroma: Very pleasant. Grass, oak, some floral, and perhaps a hint of freshly turned earth. Definite peat scent but not at all overpowering.
Taste: Exceptionally smooth. Oak, grain, apples, and honey. The finish turns peppery and quite dry. A few drops of water opens up some vanilla and something else, linen maybe?

Overall I quite enjoy it. The relatively delicate flavors seem to be well suited to sipping on a cool late summer or fall afternoon.

Glad to see the SOTM back up and running! Thanks Jonathan!

Anyway, on to the Cragganmore. Picked up a bottle today. I'm quite impressed. Here are my notes:

Color: A nice deep gold. A bit darker than many other scotches.
Aroma: Very pleasant. Grass, oak, some floral, and perhaps a hint of freshly turned earth. Definite peat scent but not at all overpowering.
Taste: Exceptionally smooth. Oak, grain, apples, and honey. The finish turns peppery and quite dry. A few drops of water opens up some vanilla and something else, linen maybe?

Overall I quite enjoy it. The relatively delicate flavors seem to be well suited to sipping on a cool late summer or fall afternoon.

Excellent! I'm really glad you liked it. Cheers!

Top Bottom