What's new

First Purchase Advice

Hi All

This will be my first fountain pen(Or any nice pen) purchase.

I am looking at the Lamy Safari (Or I might splurge and upgrade to the AL-Star). Good first pen?

Nib Questions:
  • I *think* i am leaning toward the Medium nib, but I do like a little finer line. How much smoother is the Medium nib compared to the fine, also does Nib selection make a difference for a newbie learning?
  • I really like the Italic type handwriting (Like the way Gary addressed my samples order) and would like to learn how to improve my handwriting. So I was thinking of getting a spare 1.5 mm nib for the Safari. Would that be a good choice as well?
Ink Questions
  • Not knowing anything about Pens or Ink, I was just going to get the Lamy ink(Actually the starter pack from Goulet). I like the Blue-Black as well as the black, is it more traditional just to start with black, which color would you guys pic?
  • Should I be looking at a a different ink, I hear the Noodler's brand thrown around a little?
Thanks for all your input.
-Craig

Craig...I'm a FP noob myself and I went with the Lamy Al-Star fine nib...love it! I have a few other pens in medium nib and for my writing, I prefer the fine. My Lamy has used the Lamy cartridge and I filled the converter with Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher (from a bunch of samples from Goulet Pens). I have found I prefer brighter blues - Waterman Serenity Blue, or a dark black like Noodlers Black Eel. Whatever your choice, Enjoy!

strop

Now half as wise
The Lamy pens have a good reputation for starter pens, though I've only briefly written with my sons. He has carried a Safari, usually in his pants pocket, for several years and really likes it.

Ink is really a matter of personal preference. I think the idea that black ink is more traditional is a modern phenomenon that stems from the fact thaqt early copy machines did not copy other colors very reliably. Parker and Shaeffer sold various colors of inks back when there were no ball point pens. Get some samples of various colors and have fun. I rarely use "plain" black anymore. The closest I come is 5 O'Clock Shadow or Noodler's Zhivago.

Top Bottom