What's new

Acquisitions for February 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought:
Dovo (bought from MilkyLee)
Boker (bought from MilkyLee)
Whippeddog Sight unseen
Simpsons Milk Churn Best Badger (bought from mactrack)
Simpsons Tulip 1 Super Badger (bought from mactrack)
Tube of Proraso, tube of Erasmic, tub of Cella, tub of D.R. Harris Arlington cream, Old Spice Original AS, TOBS Shave Shop AS Gel

$IMG_8104.jpg

And I keep adding to my Gems. Seem to be on a run with 4 more and an EverReady. The ones on top are my current loose pieces. I have quite a collection in boxed sets as well. I'm not sure what models I'm missing to round out the collection. And now that I'm running with 2's and 3's of some it might be time to start thinning the herd.

Attachments

• $IMG_0649.JPG
    $IMG_0649.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 439
  • $IMG_0650.JPG
    $IMG_0650.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 439
  • $IMG_0651.JPG
    $IMG_0651.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 439
Mark, how do you not have a sticky in this forum by now, lol. Nice pick ups. My Friday delivery of coticules below.

Well you've got some stones saying that to me! Ha!
Pun intended.
It's usually hit or miss,, but usually it's hit. One of these days I'll post more of the collection. It's starting to get a bit out of hand as I'm losing track of some things.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a Gillette Adjustable, and managed to pick this one up at a price that I can explain to SWMBO. I'm curious though, being brand new to adjustable DE's what to call it, and if I did okay with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200708106876#ht_500wt_1283

Yea, you "did okay with it"! You scored a 1979 (Z-2) black-handled "Super Adjustable" (I think it was also called the "Black Beauty"). The handle is very close to the Slim of the 1960's, came in long and short versions. Yours is the long version. It looks very clean and at $13 that is a bargain, wish I found it! My '63 Slim cost me $21 on the bay, my Fat Boy was a steal for $20 at an antique store. I think any decent user-grade Gillette Adjustable in the $15-20 range is a good score, most go for $25-35, some in perfect condition with cases can go for well over $100. Search on the Bay for similar models under "completed listings" and you can tell SWMBO what a steely-eyed razor bargain hunter you are!

Some Gillette Adjustable DE history: The first Gillette adjustable was the heavier-handled "Fat Boy (1958-1961). The "Slim" with lthinner/longer handle and lower head profile (1961-1968). Super Adjustable (1968-1986?). For more, see articles here on B&B and this article: http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/08/04/the-gillette-adjustable-razors/

proxy.php

proxy.php

I actually bought this one last month on etsy. Sellar did not take paypal so I took a chance and sent a check.

Razor head pivots and is covered for travel or storage, Second picture in center shows a slide pulled out, that is injector which pushes a new blade into head when the head is pivoted into travel position. Upper right and lower in second picture shows new blade "cartridge" which holds standard injector type blades. The only way to recharge it is to eject blades out of an injector cartridge then manually stack them into the cartridge.

Loading a new blade into head is a little stiff but works ok.

The head is an open comb, the first I have seen for a Shick injector and it gives a nice shave.

When closed, with cover on in travel positon the razor is about 5/8" square and 5" long

Jeff, those are cool. I have the one you have which is the earlier one, and I have all 3 of the later models in brass, sterling silver and gold plated in the original boxes or leather sleeves. i think they're very clever in how they work.

Another great antique store find today. Two vintage brushes, an Ever Ready 100 and a Rubberset B-12. A Wade and Butcher ~6/8 that needs a little tlc on the scales and edge. Lastly, Rolls Razor in GREAT condition!

$uY5Y3.jpg

$BLjOx.jpg

I bit on a 28mm Silvertip from Noble Shaving.

I'm out of my league here. Gigantic brush. It bloomed bigger than my face!! Well not really, but it's enormous!

I've got it defunking right now. I expect to use it Monday. So far it looks just like the brushes Frank Shaving sells. Even came in a similar black box. It did arrive with a black lucite stand. So I think it was a tremendous value. Time will tell.

Attachments

• $140.jpg
    $140.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 256
Not a great example but I couldn't resist. There was a peculiar rust on this blade that looked like little worms which unfortunately did some damage to the paper thin edge so it had to get shortened a bit. But the case still has the odd packing material as well as the razor still having the factory decal on the handle. There is no evidence of hone wear,, just that darn edge that had to be addressed.
I have six more Gillettes I'm picking up early in the week.
Still , I couldn't pass up this Puma Gold for $35.00 as found in the wild.

Attachments

• $IMG_0710.JPG
    $IMG_0710.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 240
  • $IMG_0711.JPG
    $IMG_0711.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom