What's new

Spotlight Fragrance: February: Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Knize Ten

This is the thread to discuss February's spotlight fragrances - Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Knize Ten. Two of the most highly regarded leather scents.

proxy.php

Joseph Knize, one of its inventors lived in Vienna and was a supplier to the Royal and Imperial Court. The fragrance , Knize Ten, has been available since 1925. The great author Hans Habe once said that, if he were cast away on a desert island, he would take Knize with him, since, for a man using a toilet water, it was really not so much a matter of undermining the morale of a beautiful woman than boosting one's own.

The brilliant designer and poster artist Ernst Deutsch-Dryden played a decisive role in the composition of Knize. Knize was the most famous men's outfitter in Vienna. His shop still exists today with a much-admired interior, one of the great works of the architect and designer Adolf Loos. Knize Ten is one of the few fragrances to have distinct note of leather. Perfumers, who are capable of lyricism equal to that of wine connoisseurs, differentiate between the top, heart and base note of a fragrance and sense chords and cadences in the combination of these three. The top note of Knize is citrus-fresh with petitgrain, orange, rosemary and bergamot; the heart note is dry to woody with cedars and sandalwood, and the base note is leathery with castor and ambergris. In view of its age, Knize is not, of course, a fully synthetic perfume. It contains costly natural substances - patchouli wood, lemon, orris, clove and orange blossom amongst others.

Notes (from Fragrantica)
Top Notes: Petit Grain, Orange, Amalfi Lemon, Rosemary, Bergamot

Mid Notes: Virginia Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tincture of Rose, Iris, Carnation, Cinnamon, Clove

Base Notes: Leather, Amber, Musk, Oakmoss

proxy.php

A chypre blend of notes brings a raw, yet reserved sensuality to Tuscan Leather for an original take on a classic leather scent. Saffron, raspberry and thyme, open to olibanum and night blooming jasmine. Leather, black suede and amberwood add an intricate richness.

With Private Blend, Tom Ford opens a door into the mesmerizing world of artisanal scent. Each fragrance begins with a precious extraction of a single note around which secondary notes are wrapped creating a completely developed and complex Eau de Parfum that may enchant or challenge, stimulate or delight.

Notes (from Fragrantica)
Top Notes: Saffron, Raspberry, Thyme

Mid Notes: Olibanum, Jasmine

Base Notes: Leather, Agarwood

Knize Ten is in my hands already (Lucky Scent is amazing to deal with) and the Tuscan Leather should be in my hands by Monday (Nordstroms Orange County shipping it to my local Nordstroms for pick up).

I will get these and the May fragrances out to you guys ASAP - even if I have to take a day off work (from my day job) :thumbup1:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
K10 is one of my all time favorite scents. I did not wear anything else for over 25 years!!

Been wearing tuscan leather all week, when you wear it you kinda can't stop thinking about it, I really like this fragrance!! the wife hated it at first but she confessed last night she really likes it on me now, this is a fragrance that grows on your skin and gets better with a few hours under it's belt!!

Both fantastic leathers although I have to admit that I would be more inclined to buy a bottle of TFTL's shadowy brother Charles Street than I would to pony up the money for a full bottle of Ford.

Wearing the 10 today. Definitely one of my top 5 all-timers. Some people are off-put by the sharp, acrid, rubbery/solvent like opening blast. I like that - seems very masculine - and the reward is one of the richest leather dry downs ever. Like fixing the car in a well-used garage and then relaxing afterwards in your plush leather recliner.

First time wearing Knize Ten today. Did not care for the opening at all, but the drydown is much better. I am currently reminded of an old fashioned shoe store selling only leather shoes with a few styles on display, only a couple popular sizes in stock and most shoes made to order on site. Behind the leather I think I am picking up the smell of the wooden floors and shelving along with some oil, wax and glue eminating from the shop at the back of the store.

Not something I would wear everyday and if I save the rest of my sample for those days that I want to smell like an old shoe shop then I think it should last me the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Wearing the 10 today. Definitely one of my top 5 all-timers. Some people are off-put by the sharp, acrid, rubbery/solvent like opening blast. I like that - seems very masculine - and the reward is one of the richest leather dry downs ever. Like fixing the car in a well-used garage and then relaxing afterwards in your plush leather recliner.

With the smell of some flowers drifting in through an open window...

Knize Ten has been at the top of my want list since I became interested in frags. I'm excited to try this one out, thanks for highlighting it.

I've been wearing K10 for a few days now and I find that I like the top notes very much.
It seems to be bright and crisp, maybe a little acrid but in a good way.
K10 has to be one of the most difficult scents to pin down in the beginning.
If you can hang in there, the dry down is rich and truly wonderful.

The leather smell is a smell of quality.
This has become one of my favourites already.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I've wanted to try knize 10 for awhile. I do have 15 MLs of the Tom Ford. Absolutely wonderful juice. I for whatever reason still haven't bought a bottle.

Two of the premiere leather scents. One very old, and one fairly new.

But I find I have to be in the right frame of mind to wear either. Both can wear a bite loud, and are pretty leathery. I don't think you could dial the dose back enough of on either of these that you won't make an impression. Especially Tuscan Leather.
if you want to blow the doors off, hit this one four times. Tuscan Leather is a very contemporary "new" leather scent. Not claiming to be an expert - I avoided that "fad" - but those in the know say Tuscan Leather has a cocaine "note."
One of the most linear scents I have run across. There's some semi-odd opening notes with raspberry (and the coke I guess), but once the leather kicks in, that's pretty much what the smell is going to be for hours. Don't look for a lot of subtle twists and turns.

Knize Ten is kind of of like the ultimate wet shaver scent. It's very traditional, but it's not for everyone...the floral element would put some guys off. But it is unmistakably manly. This is a traditional guy, with a bit of unexpected edge...perhaps a tad kinky. A little bit of a "bad boy" scent.

Last edited:
I have not tried the Tom Ford but do own the Knize 10. It will be in my rotation for probably the rest of my life. It is the one frag that really has blown me away. I love and mesmerized about the evolution of the scent and the transformation is just magical. My wife doesn't care for the beginning too much but the middle and base notes just make her melt. This is about the most manly scent I have smelled also. Well that is wearable;) I really do want the try the Ford as Stylin has me intrigued. I never really did like cocaine but it sure did smell good:) The good ol days....

Where Knize Ten is the old shoe shop, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather is a quality leather jacket. I may never buy a bottle of either fragrance, but it may be nice to pull out this Tom Ford decant when I will be spending a majority of the day in my leather jacket. Doesn't feel right wearing a leather fragrance when I am in my hoody.

Just wanted to poke my head in for a moment and let you guys know that all 4 of the February and May Fragrances (Knize Ten, Tuscan Leather, Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver) are in my hands as of today and the atomizers should be here this afternoon. If all goes as planned I will be shipping everyone's orders early next week. :thumbup:

To keep this thread on track though I should mention that I haven't tried Knize Ten ever but I did try Tuscan Leather about a year ago and found it way too cloying. I didn't keep dates on my old notes though so it's possible I tried it in the middle of the summer in my old apartment with no air conditioning. Anyway, I'm excited to try the Tuscan Leather again especially now that I've held the substantial box and full size fancy bottle in my hands. Great packaging on this quality $210.00 bottle of juice!

Top Bottom