What's new

Would you buy a DE safety razor with a pivoting head?

Would you buy a safety razor with a pivoting head?

• Heck Yes! Where can I get one?

• Heck No! Are you nuts?

• I don't know. Never really gave it much thought.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it would just be easier to make a DE razor with the proper angle built into the top cap.

Thanks,
Mike

My coworker told me he would be more inclined to purchase a DE if it had a pivoting head and I was just curious to know what the general consensus would be if that were an option. Just curious.

I think that was his way of telling you he's not interested.

Humans are equipped with a head that pivots. I usually look up when shaving the neck area, and to the sides for the sideburns area.

Actually, a razor could copy a cart feature without pivoting, but it would be an SE, not a DE. It would need to be mounted so the blade is almost parallel to the handle and the handle is more parallel to the skin than it is now, where it's almost perpendicular if you want a small shaving angle. If you look at a cart razor from the side, you see the blade surface head on. But, if you look at a DE, you see the blade edge. There may be more control or comfort for some people if they hold the handle more parallel to the face, still maintaining the minimum shaving angle, instead of sticking out.

So, with an SE it could be done, like the OneBlade. With a DE it just seems looney. But even if the OneBlade were affordable and blades for it were everywhere, or some genius(?) did design a pivoting DE, I still wouldn't want one. I want the blade at the angle I choose, not the razor . . .

A pivoting head on a DE sounds like something that'll send the survivors begging to use electric shavers. Might as well use a potato peeler since it's a far cheaper device for removing skin.

The basic design of the DE razor requires keeping a certain blade to skin angle. Seems like a pivoting head would be a invitation to a bloody shave. A reason why all pivoting head razors are single edge type designs even if they have 3, 5 or 6 blades. The pivoting head is designed to keep the same blade to skin angle even if the shaver does not consistently hold the handle at the ideal angle. In other words it is designed for the lazy or unskilled blade shaver. An attempt to idiot proof the process. IMO it would require a total redesign of the DE razor head to get it to automatically assume the ideal shaving angle and still use the DE blade. A very strange looking razor head I imagine.

I would have definitely said no way, but I recently tried the One Blade razor. If that razor were available in a version that used a standard de blade I'd buy it in a second.

Top Bottom