What's new

Super Bowl Thread + Who Will Win? Poll

Who will win Super Bowl XLVI?

• New England Patriots

• New York Giants

• Blah, blah, blah. Architecture is King!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I actually laughed out loud when John Mara said, "Everyone knows that the best, most loyal fans are Giants fans!" Really? You mean the San Francisco Giants, right?

I actually laughed out loud when John Mara said, "Everyone knows that the best, most loyal fans are Giants fans!" Really? You mean the San Francisco Giants, right?
When ESPN plays the clips from the New York phone-in radio shows, I'm just flabbergasted. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. How many teams win 2 Superbowls in 4 years? There are teams who never have a hope. Right now the Giants and Eli are in rarefied air.

You sound like SWMBO. She's a Vikings' fan who gets ticked when I say the Giants suck. We're devoted fans who would never abandon our team. We just voice displeasure every now and again. It's like when you yell at your kids. You still love them. You just expected something more of them at the moment.

As a die-hard Pats fan, I'm convinced the Giants will win. They have one major advantage: their WRs against our DBs. And that will rear its head in the 4th quarter. Our major advantage, namely GRONK!, is hobbled. So I had to vote for the Giants to win.
Nostradamus, is that you?

When ESPN plays the clips from the New York phone-in radio shows, I'm just flabbergasted. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. How many teams win 2 Superbowls in 4 years? There are teams who never have a hope. Right now the Giants and Eli are in rarefied air.

It's a sort of cultural distinction that you have to get used to. I've lived in NYC for six years and I've learned to take it in stride. For instance, if it's 75 and sunny... "Yeah, but what about this @#$% wind?"

NY sports fans complain no matter how well their team is doing. Boston sports fans can't believe that their team will ever do well, but when it does, you never hear the end of it. What they share in common is that when their team loses, they both say, "I told you so."

Last edited:
Giants in a landslide. Wasn't even close.

The Giants took advantage of the Pats' plethora of mistakes, the Giants made more mistakes, but they were lucky to get away with them. Welker had butter fingers and could not hold on to the ball, had he caught the damn ball... I'm 94% sure the Patriots would have came out on top eventually. Also, the horrible officiating was one-sided the entire game.

They had a chance to take advantage of the game and put more points up on the board but Brady underthrows Gronk on the pick. That Manningham catch was sick, and then the Patriots really couldn't recover. If only Welker caught the damn ball...ugh.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Giants took advantage of the Pats' plethora of mistakes, the Giants made more mistakes, but they were lucky to get away with them. Welker had butter fingers and could not hold on to the ball, had he caught the damn ball... I'm 94% sure the Patriots would have came out on top eventually. Also, the horrible officiating was one-sided the entire game.

They had a chance to take advantage of the game and put more points up on the board but Brady underthrows Gronk on the pick. That Manningham catch was sick, and then the Patriots really couldn't recover. If only Welker caught the damn ball...ugh.

I feel for ya. I'd rather get blown out than lose a heartbreaker. Throw that ball to Welker 100 times, and he'll catch it 101. Brady lost it on the first play of the game. Those two points changed the entire dynamic of the game.

I'm probably in the minority, and I understand the opposing view, but I was glad to see the Giants score the TD for several reasons-
  • I never like to take points off the board
  • I give Brady a better chance to get into field goal range in 25 seconds than go 80 yards in 50 seconds
  • The Pats backed into the bowl on a missed chip shot, and I'd hate to see anyone win the whole shebang the same way

I feel for ya. I'd rather get blown out than lose a heartbreaker. Throw that ball to Welker 100 times, and he'll catch it 101. Brady lost it on the first play of the game. Those two points changed the entire dynamic of the game.

I'm probably in the minority, and I understand the opposing view, but I was glad to see the Giants score the TD for several reasons-
  • I never like to take points off the board
  • I give Brady a better chance to get into field goal range in 25 seconds than go 80 yards in 50 seconds
  • The Pats backed into the bowl on a missed chip shot, and I'd hate to see anyone win the whole shebang the same way

If the Giants hadn't scored the touchdown, they could have run the clock down to 1 second before kicking a field goal.

I was one of those "loyal" Giant fans who endured many years of bad football. NY fans expect perfection and when it is not forthcoming they voice their opinion. I recall one time someone hired an airplane that had a banner saying something like "20 years of bad football is enough." These were the original fans who put paper bags over their heads at the stadium.

And then the team was sold from CBS I believe to the Mara family - and what a difference that made. However, a number of always remained loyal to the cause. We may have called radio shows and complained about certain players - but we were loyal to the team. After all, the waiting list to get season tickets for the Giants is incredible (in contrast to the Bucs now that I live in the Tampa Bay area). I know when Eli first came on board I was not impressed with him and thought that he choked in key games. However, he has matured and has become an excellent QB.

It is funny that if you were a Giant fan you hated the Jets and vice versa. However, ask any Giant fan who the two teams he hates the most I would give you odds it would be the Patriots and Cowboys.

The game was close and exciting and the outcome could not have been better. However, I was amazed at some of the blown calls from the refs.

If the Giants hadn't scored the touchdown, they could have run the clock down to 1 second before kicking a field goal.

Yeah.

I think the most crucial play was Brady's interception. He had no business chucking that thing up there. I believe it was first and ten, he was getting swarmed and, for whatever reason, he just hurled it up. Who does he think he is, Eli Manning? In that case, you take the sack or you find a way to throw the ball to the sideline. Obviously, he was in the heat of the moment, but it was not very Brady like.

Welker's drop was big, but it was a poorly thrown pass. He adjusted to it, but couldn't come down with it. It happens.

Still, when Brady sidestepped Pierre-Paul and completed the pass to Branch on fourth and 16, I thought, "Oh, Lord, he's gonna do it again."

I was driving around this morning, listening to Mike and Mike in the car. They said two interesting things.

First, the Pats have already been designated by Vegas to win the SB next year.

Next, and more interestingly, they referenced a site that stated that if they replayed the SB next week with the same 2 teams, the Pats would be favored by 2.5 points.

Patriots were lucky to get in that game anyway....Ravens blew two opportunities in the playoffs that would have kept NE back in Massachussetts eating beans and brown bread in front of the wide screen during the Super Bowl. Too bad...so sad. They should be grateful they all got a paycheck for the loss anyhow.

Man oh Manning! It's a good thing I didn't throw myself out the window after the second time the Giants lost to the Redskins; I would have missed all this.

From the Department of Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda: If only Welker, Branch, and Hernandez had caught those passes... Well, that is nonsense. That's like saying, if only Manningham hadn't caught that sideline pass, or if only Brady hadn't committed that safety. WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED DID HAPPEN!!!! That's it! The game is over, and the Giants won it! There was no luck involved; every player on both teams tried as hard as he could and this Giants victory is the result. Period!

From the Department of Am I That Bad at Arithmetic: I keep hearing that the Giants just won their second SB in 4 years; isn't it 5 years? They won Supe 42, other teams won #43, 44, and 45. Now they won #46. Isn't that 5 years, both wins inclusive? Or is dementia setting in already? (It wouldn't surprise me.)
:w00t:

From the Department of Am I That Bad at Arithmetic: I keep hearing that the Giants just won their second SB in 4 years; isn't it 5 years? They won Supe 42, other teams won #43, 44, and 45. Now they won #46. Isn't that 5 years, both wins inclusive? Or is dementia setting in already? (It wouldn't surprise me.)

They (we?) won after the 2007 season (SB played in 2008) and again yesterday (2011 season, SB played in 2012) so it's 4 years.

They (we?) won after the 2007 season (SB played in 2008) and again yesterday (2011 season, SB played in 2012) so it's 4 years.

Thank you. You are correct. :crying:

Please don't show this thread to SWMBO; she's already looking for a "home"for me.

Last edited:
Now the question is, how long until the perennially fickle (not the word I originally wanted to use) fans in NY turn on him again?

Prolly by the 3rd game of the season after 2 losses in a row. Most of them felt the G-men should go 20 and 0 during the season and anything less is a firing offense. What they miss is that the Giants had one of, if not the hardest schedule to be played with a murderer's row right in the middle that coincided w/ their losing streak.

I wonder how other teams would have done against that same 4-5 game stretch.

marty

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Next, and more interestingly, they referenced a site that stated that if they replayed the SB next week with the same 2 teams, the Pats would be favored by 2.5 points.

And I would bet on them.

Let's say for the sake of argument that today is your birthday. Would you say your last birthday was two years ago? :001_tt2:

And I would bet on them.

Let's say for the sake of argument that today is your birthday. Would you say your last birthday was two years ago? :001_tt2:

Sure, pick on an old man whose memory is going. Go right ahead, if that's what you like to do. By the way, ATTENTION ALL B&B SENIOR CITIZENS: HEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that's another thread.
:001_tt2:

Top Bottom