What's new

Can Cryo Temperment work on str8s??

This company claims to temper treat any metal and also sells already tempered razor blades on their website.
I wonder if this treatment can be applied to a str8 to keep it sharp longer...

Check out the company here.

And see their blades division here.

They freeze the blades to -300F

I won't say it's not beneficial , but cryo is usually done right after the hardening/heat treatment . Never heard of someone doing it so long after that process .

All my knife steels are cryo'ed , and when I do a straight , it will be cryo'ed as well .

Cryogenic tempering has been used on razors for many decades. The Henckels Friodur was cryogenically tempered, as was the Dubl Duck Wonderedge.

I have used this on a D2 knife before it was recommended by knife makers on another forum. It was explained to me that the knife can take a finer edge with this treatment. But I have no experience with it on razors.

Several companies offer the service if I remember correctly and this is going back a few years prices varied greatly. Whole range of things they say benefit from it. I know a few of my knifes and at least one rifle barrel was done with it. Getting into rifle barrels and people who have had barrels for a while and had it done later, all noted improvement in acuracy. It's been discussed a lot on several Ar, hunting and a knife forums. With what's described to happen in the process I can see where it would benefit a straight razor. Best two ways to tell a before after test on the face and of course the miroscropic before and after photographs. I need to find my old metallurgy books and look up the topic. I'm sure there were before and after photographs of metals surface areas after different heat treats, special tempering, quenching and I am sure the cyro treating metal was discussed.

It's cheap enough now that even if it helps only the smallest fraction it would be worth it. IIRC my knife, a 10" fixed blade, was around $5 to have it done while it was there getting HT.

i am trying the "cryo" treatment as we speak........ i have 3 homemade razors on dry ice as i type this...... it is "supposed" to be -110c which from what i read is supposed to give some type of benefit to the steel....... they have been on ice since 7:30pm and will stay there till the a.m...

if i see no improvement with this i will attempt to locate liquid nitrogen and freeze them in that stuff *(being careful not to drop them... lol.. )

Top Bottom