What's new

First time in a long time with vintage Old Spice Soap!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Like almost 40 years! :lol:

I was gifted an Old Spice mug with a slightly used but nearly full-sized puck of Old Spice Soap in it in the raffle at the Chicago meetup the other day. The ship is Recovery, if that helps date it, I know nothing about these except I remember having a mug with soap in the early seventies before I switched to Gillette Foamy in the can.

Very nice soap! I think it is tallow? Scent is still there, but not too strong, I'm hoping it will get stronger as I whittle down into the puck. It's not quite Tabac in efficacy, but it is close! Damn close! Nice, thick, cushiony lather, easy to bring up, fairly slick, lasts a long time, no breaking down during my shave at all. I soaked the puck while soaking the brush while I showered, then used Marco's method (two GENTLE vertical pumps to lose just a little water). Loaded for a full minute, used my DB 1.5 scuttle. Awesome, comfortable, DFS 3-pass plus touchup.

If you come across any vintage Old Spice soap, grab it! It's very nice. Nothing magical, none of the "Golden age of shaving" nonsense, but a very good soap indeed. I could shave with it every day and not feel deprived. Like I said, I'd rate Tabac just a tad higher, but this is great stuff.

• Shower
  • Homemade shave oil
  • Vintage Old Spice
  • Semogue 2000 boar brush
  • Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle
  • Edwin Jagger DE89 head on BRW XXL with flare tip handle
  • Thayer's WH
  • Brut AS splash with one drop glycerin

I have a couple of Old Spice soaps. I find them to me just as great as Tabac if not better. They do contain tallow. Love using them !!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Do you guys think the scent will get stronger as I use it? I'm guessing it bleeds scent from its surface, but I am hoping not from the center of the soap.

It sure is good stuff! It was very close to Tabac in performance, IMO. I'll have to do a couple of days of rotating between them. It might be as good, I'm not always confident I can tease out small differences. But I was very pleased, to be sure!

I actually run across an Old Spice puck with mug. They wanted $50 for the set. Of course I would like to try it but not at that price (for that size puck). I can almost buy a kilogram of Cella for that and have two years worth of soap for the money! I do hear that Old Spice pucks make a great shave soap, though.

It is a phenomenal soap, isn't it? Super slick, too! Slick has soon as the water hits it. I won't pay the premium price, but if I find a sliver in an old mug for $5, I'll grab it. I did get a full puck and mug off the 'Bay for $20 awhile ago, but never again. Tabac is much cheaper for more soap!

Last edited:
I also managed to get my hands on a puck of vintage Old Spice. It is a fantastic soap. I'm glad I bought it so that I could try it out and I love the mug too (very retro). When it is gone I'll probably throw a puck of Tabac into the mug - but that won't be for a long time yet!

Long live Old Spice!

I still have a sliver of my one and only Old Spice puck and haven't used it in months as I'm not ready for it to be gone yet.

I may have to break it out for my luxury Saturday morning shave this weekend.

Old Spice soap is a fantastic soap and was my only soap for years after my source of English Lavender dried up. I have two unused rounds, one of which I will put in rotation soon. I am glad that you are enjoying it.

Regards,

Doug

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have rethought my appraisal. This is as good as Tabac. It really is. I love this stuff!

I'm not going to pay eBay prices for it, I like Tabac, too. But it is really, really that good!

I've got a puck in rotation, and two NOS refills in reserve. I always smile when it steps up to the plate. One of my favorite lathers!

Just (over)bid on a NOS mug and soap puck on the bay tonight. I'll find out when I wake up tomorrow if I got it or not. After I finish my I Coloniali cream soap I'll move on to my vintage Colgate puck, then to the OS if I win it. If I don't win it, I'll win another at some point before I need it.

It shows up at antique stores, Craigslist and yard sales from time to time. It's been out of production for decades, so it's not surprising that it's a little scarce.

It's a good soap, and a reminder of a time when a guy in the USA could buy good mass produced shaving soaps at the corner store.

For me, it's a somewhat personal reminder of my father, and is as much a time machine, or at least a portal to the past, as it is a shaving soap.

Enjoy it while you can. Neither vintage OS soap or we humble shavers will be around forever.

It is the smell of my grandfather's bathroom!

And I really think that VDH Glycerin has a somewhat similar smell to the NOS puck of OS I have in a mug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom