What's new

Feather Artist Club Razor

Hi--I currently shave with the R41 and the cobra classic which uses feather pros.My question
is if I bought a Feather Artist Club Razor would I eventually(after learning to use it) get closer shaves or would it roughly be the same as the cobra and R41--I get bbs and dfs shaves pretty regualry I am just curious about getting into straights.Thanks for your input in advance as I appreciate it

the regular ole straights are pretty dang fun also... and they do a great job.......

there are a couple members here local to you that might can loan you a honed up straight so you can see.....

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I basically get a BBS shave every time with my Feather no fuss no muss. It isn't easy in the beginning tho, and the learning curve is pretty steep and unforgiving. But a 2 pass XTG ATG and touch ups=BBS. Of course YMMV.

I also get similar results from Kamisori too, maybe even better as the Kamisori is smooooth.

You will never know unless you try. But, IMO a close shave is a close shave, no matter the tool. A traditional straight shave seems to last longer on my face than the others, but YMMV.

The Feather AC is an excellent straight, and once you've got it down and your technique is right, the shaves from it are great. Just don't expect it to be so right from the start. As with any razor you've got to put in the time and hone your technique.

The Feather AC is an excellent straight, and once you've got it down and your technique is right, the shaves from it are great. Just don't expect it to be so right from the start. As with any razor you've got to put in the time and hone your technique.

Another question I have tho is if I am using the feather pro with the cobra what is the advantage of the feather ac--Wouldn't the shave(once I learn it) be the same because the blade is the same?

As an occasional R41 user (primarily a straight razor guy) I'd say from a results-only perspective the difference will likely be little if any. The two razors you use I think of as closer to a SR shave than most others primarily because of the blade exposure they both utilize. The jump to a straight will not, IMHO, result in much of a difference.
However, if we're talking about history, ritual, rewards, and all the other great intangibles that come along with straight razor shaving then by all means give it a go! You're more than halfway there already, and the experience of learning straights will only enrich the entire shaving perspective--even if you end up back with the R41 and the Feather.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
As an occasional R41 user (primarily a straight razor guy) I'd say from a results-only perspective the difference will likely be little if any. The two razors you use I think of as closer to a SR shave than most others primarily because of the blade exposure they both utilize. The jump to a straight will not, IMHO, result in much of a difference.
However, if we're talking about history, ritual, rewards, and all the other great intangibles that come along with straight razor shaving then by all means give it a go! You're more than halfway there already, and the experience of learning straights will only enrich the entire shaving perspective--even if you end up back with the R41 and the Feather.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info king

Hi--I currently shave with the R41 and the cobra classic which uses feather pros.My question
is if I bought a Feather Artist Club Razor would I eventually(after learning to use it) get closer shaves or would it roughly be the same as the cobra and R41--I get bbs and dfs shaves pretty regualry I am just curious about getting into straights.Thanks for your input in advance as I appreciate it

i think all three of the mentioned products may have more of a likelihood to give weepers and irritation, however small, than a regular straight and all get damn close shaves. i think in terms of shave enjoyment for me the ranking is from most enjoyable to least

1. regular straight
  2. feather straight
  3. cobra
  4. r41

i would not hesitate to say that closeness of shave is not a relevant variable anymore with these 4.

i think all three of the mentioned products may have more of a likelihood to give weepers and irritation, however small, than a regular straight and all get damn close shaves. i think in terms of shave enjoyment for me the ranking is from most enjoyable to least
  1. regular straight
  2. feather straight
  3. cobra
  4. r41
i would not hesitate to say that closeness of shave is not a relevant variable anymore with these 4.

Thanks--That is very good input for me.I am waiting for the feather SS to be delivered as I have decided to give it a go

My question is if I bought a Feather Artist Club Razor would I eventually(after learning to use it) get closer shaves or would it roughly be the same as the cobra and R41--I get bbs and dfs shaves pretty regualry I am just curious about getting into straights.Thanks for your input in advance as I appreciate it

I changed to straights after using DEs for a while and was amazed that I almost eliminated nicks and cuts. A regular straight seems less likely to give me a weeper. There have been one or two exceptions - like when I mowed down a small mole on my cheek. ;-}

I then got a Feather DX and tried it with not a little trepidation - there are several places, even commercial websites, that make it sound like a bleeder. My experience was very good. No cuts on the first shave but I did whack myself slightly on the second when doing ATG. Since then, though, just good shaves. I will say that my regular straights seem to give a longer lasting shave in most areas but I have to do three passes. The Feather is just excellent on my neck and other hard to shave areas.

Will it be better than your DEs? I doubt it - a shave is a shave and when you start getting really close shaves, there isn't much difference between a great DE shave and a great straight shave. The path to the shave and the experience is the calling. You probably won't get a great BBS shave the first time but you will soon enough.

Oh... and my reason for getting the DX (and then a Japanese style RG) was for travel. When I'm gone for a couple of weeks on end, it is just easier to take the DX. I think I enjoy regular straights more but I still use both. There is something about sharpening up your straight and getting a great shave that is very cool.

Top Bottom