What's new

Lather Video - Martin de Candre (aka MdC) Scented Shave Soap

Part 3 in my series of my Lather Videos (Razo Rock King Louis & Mitchell's Wool Fat being the others)

Again, I've had plenty of help from other members, YouTube videos, and how-to guides, so figured I'd try add a few myself to see if I could help anyone, so here is another attempt at a "lather video".

I used the MARCO METHOD and lathered up some Martin de Candre - MdC Shave Soap in a Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle with a Semogue 1305 Brush.

Here are the rules: If you have personally made a "shaving or lather video", feel free to make fun of it all you want :001_tt2:....but, if you haven't made one, pull out your camera or camcorder and see if you can do better, then you are free make fun of me all you want. :w00t:

Note: The MdC basically lathers itself, but this video will show you exactly how easy it is to do.

Without further adieu....here we go again....let the mockery begin. :001_tongu

Last edited by a moderator:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Video #3, masterpiece #3. Just a quick question for my own curiosity, Bruce. Is there a specific reason you alternate clockwise with counterclockwise swirls on the surface of the soap when loading the brush?

Very nice. Interesting how different methods (I don't use as wet a brush and don't swirl as much) can result in great lather with this A+ soap.

Video #3, masterpiece #3. Just a quick question for my own curiosity, Bruce. Is there a specific reason you alternate clockwise with counterclockwise swirls on the surface of the soap when loading the brush?

Not really. Just something I always do. I guess if you think about it, it's making sure all bristles get decent soap on them.

I always do some clockwise, some counter. Same as then I lather in the scuttle.

1. Meh. I want some of this soap.

2. I have almost the exact same crocheted cloth that you do, except my mom made it for me as a pot holder.

3. If I had anything to mock, this is where I'd put it (I have made a lather video, and retain the right to mock in the future! :001_tt2:)

4. I switch directions when loading the brush so my wrist doesn't cramp and I get soap on all the bristles.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you, Bruce. These videos are really nice and, more importantly, are really helpful for newbies. The lather just seems to come out from a Master Barber's brush. :wink2:

I do the same thing. It helps with the feng shui of things...like balance and harmony. (I know nothing about feng shui, but that is my story and i am sticking to it.)

Bruce,

Another great video. One handed while operating the camera is quite impressive! This is very similar to the way I lather mine in terms of method...not one handed with a camera.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Another great job, Bruce! .
Now go but a puck of Williams and see if you can duplicate the magical lather-bomb feats we've seen in other threads. :velva2:

Another great job, Bruce! .
Now go but a puck of Williams and see if you can duplicate the magical lather-bomb feats we've seen in other threads. :velva2:

don't have any williams, but i can try it with some lower cost economical soaps like Benton Clay or whatever else i have on hand.

thanks everyone, they are fun to do and hope they help at least a few people.

more on the "swirling direction" like someone else said, it helps fight carpal tunnel (kidding) but it does give my wrist a change up. also, i find if you only go 1 way, the bristles get padded down and thus you don't get soap on the entire brush. it's just how i've always done it and don't even think about it when i'm doing it.

Love the videos Bruce! Thats exactly how I create my lather as well. I also have DB 1.5 scuttle and it keeps the lather very warm. It would be a nice to have a vids section on B&B. Can you imagine lathering videos of all soaps and creams that are mentioned on here in just one section?

Well done again Bruce! You actually inspired me to do a lil vid with my daughter I posted a couple days ago... with Williams! :wink2: It's here if you wanna check it out

I'm usually a hardcore naysayer of any product that I'd have to choose between buying it or food for my kids, :wink2: but I will say that lather explosion was impressive.

I'll go with feeding the kids and take the extra effort of another minute of whipping with a different soap! :wink2:

Still, fantastically done! And hey, if you want to take the Williams challenge as suggested by rockviper, and after watching my vid and then make a vid of you lathering it for our amusement, I'll send you a new puck!

Bruce, these are fantastic and very well done lather videos! I too have been pondering the MdC. Can I ask where you bought yours?

Well done again Bruce! You actually inspired me to do a lil vid with my daughter I posted a couple days ago... with Williams! :wink2: It's here if you wanna check it out

I'm usually a hardcore naysayer of any product that I'd have to choose between buying it or food for my kids, :wink2: but I will say that lather explosion was impressive.

I'll go with feeding the kids and take the extra effort of another minute of whipping with a different soap! :wink2:

Still, fantastically done! And hey, if you want to take the Williams challenge as suggested by rockviper, and after watching my vid and then make a vid of you lathering it for our amusement, I'll send you a new puck!

awesome video...i'd love to try it with williams, but it would most likely only get used for the video, as i have too many others in rotation. i think i had a new williams from the supermarket and chucked it as the scent was foul, but thanks for the offer.

Bruce, these are fantastic and very well done lather videos! I too have been pondering the MdC. Can I ask where you bought yours?

direct. $59-62 total (after CC fees etc). arrived in about a week and came with a couple 1/2 bar samples of soap. A+ communication and shipping/packaging.

Can almost smell the MdC! Great stuff. Nice vid. And you loaded for a realistic time. It is about how long I loaded my sample of MdC and really about how long I load other soaps.

Last edited:
Can almost smell the MdC! Great stuff. Nice vid. And you loaded for a realistic time. It is about how long I loaded my sample and really about how long I load other soaps.

it's funny..on all 3 videos, they all come in around 3min from soak to lather ready. i didn't time them, but noticed it after doing them.

i do the ABC's in my head 2x for normal soaps/hard creams, and more for MWF.

i figure you can NEVER have too much product on the brush.

Top Bottom