What's new

Brush losing bristles

Hi guys,

I own two brushes from the same company. I'd rather not say which, because I think the company is a good one and has many followers on B&B (for good reason). I think think the problem is me, or at least I'm wondering if it is.

These are both silver tip badger brushes. One has a smaller knot than the other. Both are roughly the same age, purchase maybe a couple of months apart. Both are solid performers and feel good on my face. Lots of backbone. The smaller of the two brushes is holding up nicely!

But the larger knot loses a couple of bristles every time I shave. It's crazy. I find them on the sink, on my face, stuck to to my razor...

I am fairly gentle in loading the brush, I usually face lather, but sometimes use a cup or skuttle. When I'm done, I rinse the brush in the water in the sink, then again under running water to get the soap out. Then, I fluff it on a towel to separate the bristles.

What could be causing this problem? Again, the brand is recognized as a quality brand so I must be doing something wrong!

Thx in advance for your kind advice.

How old are the brushes? How long have they been shedding? A lot of the denser brushes shed when new, but if it is persistent shedding, their might be a problem.

I have read lately a few reports of Simpson brushes shedding more than normal.

most brushes shed a hair or two.mostly when new.if its been doing it for a while the best thing is to contact the maker and ask for a remedy.they usually dont haggle and are quick to rectify the problem.

The only brush I've never heard of shedding a single hair is a Morris & Forndran. You can tell us what brush company they are from, every company has had a shedder story on here except an M&F and that could even be false for all I know.

The brushes are about 5 months old, and the one that's shedding gets used quite regularly, almost exclusively. It started shedding on day one. It is the odd day when it doesn't shed any bristles. 't is from a reputable manufacturer, and I've contacted them to see if something should be done. Maybe I'll hear something next week.

its not that old and should stop shedding sooner or later.1-2 hairs a shave isnt abnormal.there are post's about 5-10 per shave.if it increases or doesnt stop then id be concerned.

There could be a number of reasons for a brush shedding. Sometimes during the manufacture process the brush was not "combed" sufficiently to remove loose hairs. In other instances the brush is defective.

Some of us had Duke 3s that shed. I contacted Simpsons and they replaced the brush. Before replacing the brush I was instructed to clean the brush with mild dish washing detergent, rinse it thoroughly, and then put it in a solution of vinegar, water, with a few drops of glycerin (the glycerin is optional), gently shake and ring out the brush, gently run it through a towel and then take a comb and go through the brush to remove the hairs. When this did not remedy the situation I was told to return the brush and I got a replacement.

So, contact the vendor or manufacturer of the brush as soon as possible.

It is not tacky to name the brush manufacturer here, this is an open forum and people such as Lee Sabini, Rudy Vey or Mark from Simpson would never be offended by reading such a thread. They would all demand they fix the issue for you and it would help us, help you if you told us what the brushes were?

It sounds like it's not me, anyway. I thought maybe I was doing something to mistreat it.

The brush is a Savile Row 3122 from QED. I also have a 3119 that has no issues at all. The '22 is a pleasure to use, but as I said it leaves stray bristles on my face and in the sink. I contacted Charles at QED to ask him for advice, but that was on Friday so I don't really expect to hear anything until early this week.

Thx for the advice, guys!

Sort of disappointed because after two notes, nothing from QED. I suppose I'll try to call out there sometime this week. Switched to my Omega boar for a couple of days to give the badger brush a little time to relax. My 19 is at my folks in Minnesota at the moment.

I'm going to try washing it it Borax and combing it a little to see if I can help it to loose what it's going to loose, and keep it steady from there.

QED indicates that they were having problem with their email server. Once I was able to reach them, they promptly replaced the shedding brush. I've already shaved several times with the replacement and it hasn't lost one bristle.

Thank you, and thank you QED!

Top Bottom